English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classrom survey

2 posters

Go down

Classrom survey Empty Classrom survey

Post  Hyun a Ji Thu May 08 2008, 15:51

Last Tuesday, we conducted surveys about the worksheet for interactive speaking/listening. It presents several tips to improve ability in reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar, vocabulary. I could get good information from many of students.

First of all, in respect of top tip for improving reading ability in English, I wrote memorizing lots of vocabulary and idioms. Some student’s opinion was similar about reading. Hee-young’s opinion was reading as much as possible. Kang-hoon’s position was reading English newspaper. Namsook’s position was more specific than others. She said that keeping reading without dictionary very often is the best way to improve reading ability in English. In addition to, Jason thought reading often as widely as possible interesting material is the top tip. On the basis of other opinions, I realized my thought was old-fashioned. Because I learned about reading as that kinds of way in several years.

Secondly, in regard of writing proficiency, I thought lots of writing practice about various subject could improve writing proficiency. My opinion was similar with kang-hoon’s opinion. However it is difficult to keep practicing. Se-young’s position supplemented our opinion. She recommended that keeping diary in English everyday. Hwan-ki’s opinion was more creative than others. He thought we can get lots of information by reading and listening. I agreed with his opinion. Because writing part is related to other part.

To become better with English listening skills, My opinion was similar with Jason’s opinion. He said watching real video news in English everyday is best thing to better listening skills. Then try getting them main idea. I agreed with his idea. It is better way than just listening. In addition to, I suggested specific example (to listen news). It was similar with kang-hoon’s and nam-sook’s. I realized importance of dictation after I had heard In-kab’s position. She thought listening and dictating is best way. I definitely impressed about by her thoughts. Because dictation is good way to improve listening skills.

In terms of number one priority in becoming a more able speaker of English, I thought comfortable, open mind to communicate anyone is good way to improve speaking skills. Actually Se-young’s opinion and Jason’s opinion was similar with mine. They both thought getting rid of fear for making mistakes is good way. I was impressed by improving speaking skills through learning grammar. Nam-sook and kang-hoon both thought that studying English grammar could help speaking skills. Nam-sook added learning grammar naturally reading funny story. I think there are creative way to do.

The next English skill was understanding of grammar. I thought memorizing perfect grammar sentence is best way to improve grammar. Se-ra’s is the same as mine. Many of them are similar with me. Kang-hoon’s recommendation was knowing English words. In-kab supplemented mastering easy grammar book. I think it has planning quality. Jason answered that noticing pattern rules in real input, and then using it yourself is best way to understanding of grammar.

Moreover we talked about improving their English vocabulary. In-kab and kan-hoon both thought memorizing lots of sentences is the best way. Namsook suggested interesting opinion. She thought learn words related to one’s daily life. She always suggested not only general way but also specific method. It was impressed me. Se-ra also said useful method. Her position was learning vocabulary groups of synonyms or same suffix. I think It is academic way to help students. My recommendation was firstly just reading passage without dictionary, and then guess meaning of the word.

Through this survey, I could compare my position with others. It was great experience I realized many things that I couldn’t think about. Some position was united and some recommendation was salient. I hope I apply their recommendation to better ability someday.
Hyun a Ji
Hyun a Ji
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Classrom survey Empty Re: Classrom survey

Post  Younghee choi Thu May 08 2008, 20:17

I find there are plenty of good tips for improving English from your survey.
Sometimes I am surprised to see many students who are really good at reading and listening, but badly poor at grammar. I think grammar is important when it comes to productive skills such as speaking and writing.
In my opinion, it is rather easy to improve receptive skills such as reading and listening if we spare more time individually on them. However, in terms of productive skills, it is very hard to study alone since it requires a lot of practice, which is hard to do by self-study.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down