English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Survey Carried on April 29!

Go down

The Survey Carried on April 29! Empty The Survey Carried on April 29!

Post  Jung namsook Tue May 06 2008, 20:14

The survey Finding out worksheet on how to improve English skills was made at class in a random on April 29th. The students each other in the class were asked and answered to the questions with respect to the tips for a better English learner. As with the questionnaire showed, it was significant that each aspect of language learning may be crucial to be proficient in English. Furthermore I came to think out of box about wider approaches to be applied in the English acquisition.

For a start, most of the respondents including myself were very positive about much reading when being asked about a better reading skill. Hwanki, Sujin and Inkab had a voice of reading a lot; in particular Inkab claimed that reading should be followed by summarizing. I fully agree with her opinion because genuine reading means that one can keep it short and share the idea with other readers. Another informative idea was from Hyuna, in that vocabulary ability must precede reading. Many of second language learners otherwise abandon keeping reading. Taking an example from reading a novel, its truly frustrating to follow what the story goes without understanding of colossal words in the book. Its without saying that we should read as many as I could; however, we need to build more vocabulary and enjoy reading itself.

For writing proficiency, Heeyoung and I were emphatic on reading good materials while Jason and Kanghoon indicated the importance of writing itself. Jason stated that the crucial point is of keeping a journal and writing essay weekly. Interestingly, Hwanki mentioned that we have to get learned by listening and reading. I also think of Hwankis opinion was quite persuasive because basic language ability should definitely be based on the writing skill. From my experience, I could write a little better practicing on a regular base during in the semester rather than during the long pause of vacation; therefore, Jason and Kanghoons ideas possibly proved to be the most dominant method to be a good writer. As an English learner, I agree that we shouldnt be neglect with writing in English at any time.

To become a better with English Listening skills, my classmates had incredibly good opinions. First, there was very simple but the most helpful way from Jongwoo, whose idea is of dictation. Its kind of conventional and troublesome way that might be overlooked by English learners these days. Nonetheless its obvious to make a dictator to learn telling English sound clearly. It is not just parroting but a better way to be confident with listening comprehension. I guess its a basic to step up a certain listening stage. As Seyoung and Hyuna pointed out that many chances of listening and hearing English would be followed along with more exposure to natural English usage. Moreover students have to be able to get the main idea when they are studying listening comprehension. Many of exam takers for international English Tests are just trying to get the answer, rather than the understanding of the main idea.

For the number one priority in becoming a more able speaker of English, I suggested that we go to language school and have more chances to talk with native English speakers. If enjoying speaking with native speakers in the language school, it will be a good way to speak well. Sera recommended that learning a variety of useful expressions and adopt our English expressions. I did agree that it was necessary to learn and use it for our speaking. Most of all, the first priority is that we better be a risk taker that should never be afraid of making mistake and hesitant as Jongwoo said. Hwanki had emphasis on no worries in speaking English as well. By and large, many of Korean students I think that they seem to be poor at speaking automatically, compared to their vocabulary foundation. They less exposed themselves to active speaking. I would like to tell Korean students, You want to speak well and dont be a passive learner.

The significance of basic grammar cannot be overemphasized in terms of performing four English skills. For a better understanding of grammar, my repliers had their own approaches to advance grammar ability. My suggestion was that we read and learn grammar and acquire it in a natural way while Inkab said that it would be so fruitful to study Easy grammar book. Choosing an adequate grammar text would be really understandable for learners to have easy access to English grammar. Jason and Jongwoo told me that we had to make study more grammatical pattern in meaning context. One of the biggest problems is that most students do not tend to apply grammar study in a useful context. As hyuna recommended, it would be helpful to memorize meaningful sentences including some difficult parts of English grammar. Also, I would like to say that we would study for grammar in use.

In the last question, I asked about improving English vocabulary. Jongwoo brought up a good idea that the new words learned should be immediately used in speaking and writing. If so, we could advance more vocabulary ability that is not likely to be forgetful. Weve learned a bunch of words and need to spit them out of the store in our own lexicon box. Kanghoon was sure that we should keep memorizing English words. Heeyoung stated that we had to prefer to read more articles and novels. If we read various reading materials with acquiring vocabulary ability on a constant base, it would be the best way to extend words we can use of any English skills. Moreover, words are the basic indispensable assets to produce, accept and analyze English language. Theyre not built in a single session, which ask for a high demand of your time and efforts.

To sum up, it was really exciting to share ideas about some questions. The findings would be of great help to learn English. As I met the answers I hadnt ever imagined, I learned something and came up with being more active learners. In consequence, there must be various ways of being proficiency in English. If we mix all beneficial methods and keep them going, we will be able to reach the entrance of proficient English speakers.
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down