English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OP6: team teaching

3 posters

Go down

OP6: team teaching Empty OP6: team teaching

Post  Younghee choi Mon May 12 2008, 09:14

OP6: These days, more and more native English speaking teachers are being recruited into the public school system. In what ways do you think native and local teachers can team up to provide effective and motivating English instruction in public school settings?

Team teaching is common in Japan as shown in JET(the Japan Exchange and Teaching) program which invites university graduates from overseas to participate in international exchange and foreign language education throughout Japan. The benefits of team teaching can be observed in many ways; team teaching will increase learner motivation, promote cross-cultural understanding, enable more effective presentation of language content, especially dialogues, increase learner participation, and so on. Despite these advantages, it seems that most teaming teachers come to dislike team teaching because of their daily experiences in poorly designed and operated team teaching programs. In order for team teaching to be successful, I suggest that teaming teachers should make the following efforts to provide effective and motivating English instruction in public school settings.

First of all, teaming teachers must identify the goals and philosophy of their program. This may involve discussing the team teaching models to be used, identifying the responsibilities of individual teachers, setting rules for classroom management and stating the benefits expected to accrue from the team teaching. For instance, teaming teachers may want to begin with an honest discussion of professional strengths and weaknesses or personal teaching philosophies and preferences. Based on these discussions, they will be able to organize the lesson efficiently.

Secondly, teaming teachers should also try to improve communication with colleagues. Teachers should always communicate honestly and with respect. Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of humor will also be helpful to improve communication between team members. Without adequate communication, teaming teachers often find it difficult to work together and solve the numerous problems that inevitably occur.

Finally, teaming teachers must always strive to make time for their team. They will need time to plan, prepare and evaluate. As part of the planning process, teachers discuss what materials will be taught, who will teach them, how they will be taught, if and how small groups of learners will be created, how learners will be evaluated and how they will evaluate the team teaching program as a whole.

To conclude, establishing a successful team teaching is not an easy task. It takes a lot of commitment, goodwill, thought, time, flexibility and patience to make team teaching work. Above all, setting a goal and philosophy is important on how to lead the class. Plus, adequate communication between the teaming teachers is an essential part of making the lesson go smoothly. Without sufficient time to prepare, teaming teachers can easily become stressed and the quality of instruction may quickly decline. In general, Korean teachers seem to be independent of teaching and dislike team teaching. However, by taking a few practical steps, teachers can dramatically improve their team teaching techniques and make the team teaching experience more enjoyable and beneficial for themselves and their students.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

OP6: team teaching Empty Re: OP6: team teaching

Post  Inkab Wed May 14 2008, 21:38

You seem to have detailed information about the team-teaching ;concept, process, and obsticles as well. I feel like I've learned short outline of the concept of team teaching. To be honest, I am always surprised at your scope of knowlege about topics and issues related to the education field. Thank you for your informative essay.
By the way, on the introduction of the essay, I strongly sensed that you had participated in JET!! Is it right?
Inkab
Inkab
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

OP6: team teaching Empty Should've read earlier!!

Post  Jung namsook Fri May 16 2008, 18:27

Hi Younghee..

Hello~ how are you? Is there anyone being nauty and make you in trouble? I hope not. Seeing your smile, they would melt away mischief. Hope you come back soon.

I wouldn't have parted my essay plans if I had read your OP5 before taking on mine in a sudden. As Inkab stated, you're well informed about team teaching. I could learn of a different approach to adequately produce a team teaching English class. I would hear of native English speaking teachers are fairly bulding a deep hatred although they must be a most cooperative ones with local teachers. In any context, communication should be the fundmental method to get over the difficulties step by step. I think they will have been trying to overcome an obsticle on numerous occasions even though they fail every single. That's why they shoud be a teacher.
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

OP6: team teaching Empty Re: OP6: team teaching

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down