English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin

+7
eunjin39
Mi Jin Jeong
bobosbong
Yoobin Cha
Ji-eun
Oksun
Kim Hyunjin
11 posters

Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty [Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin

Post  Kim Hyunjin Thu May 15 2008, 09:24

Kim Hyunjin
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty Before starting(preconditions)

Post  Kim Hyunjin Wed May 21 2008, 19:02

This is for secondary school students (1st-grade high school students).

Through this news video, they are going to learn some new words, to talk about how to rescue form earthquake, and to use several expression with a grammar.

Also, they are going to learn this video for 2 classes and organized in groups with 4 members.

Last edited by Kim Hyunjin on Thu May 22 2008, 09:54; edited 2 times in total
Kim Hyunjin
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty Summary of the Video

Post  Kim Hyunjin Wed May 21 2008, 19:11

- Full script
Two days after a deadly earthquake, hundreds of patients started to arrive at hospitals from the remote areas of China's devastated Sichuan province. More than 700 people came by ambulances, in taxis and on stretchers to finally receive medical help in the province's capital city Chendo. One 26 years old nurse described the regional hospital she came from.
"It had collapsed. Only 8 patients had made it to the capital city, the rest still trapped. The hospital building has collapsed all the medicine we are using were rescued from the rubble so we're very limited, it has been raining everyday there are many old people and children with fevers and coughs and some others we have no medication for them. ."
Another woman sat by the bed side of her injured child, she told of brushing to her child's day-care-center after earthquake hit.
"The teacher said, all the students were sleeping I went in to look, but their room had collapsed. It was so hard that I couldn't even cry."
At one Chendo hospital, officials were anticipating hundreds more patients would arrive. First though authorities has clear more roads mud slides destroyed roads still buried under rubble, rescue teams pressed on in their search of survivors. By late Wednesday, the death toll stood ar nearly 15 thousand people and was expected to climb.

- Summary
During a few days after China's earthquake, hundreds of patients started to arrive at hospitals by means of transportation. Following a nurse said, a few patients were sent to other hospitals, but many of them are still under the rubber. Because of the rain for several days, many old people and children with fevers and coughs and some others we have no medication for them. At one Chendo hospital, officials were anticipating hundreds more patients would arrive. By late Wednesday, the death toll stood ar nearly 15 thousand people and was expected to climb.

Last edited by Kim Hyunjin on Thu May 22 2008, 13:09; edited 4 times in total
Kim Hyunjin
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty Outline of pre-listening activities

Post  Kim Hyunjin Wed May 21 2008, 19:42

Step 1. To gather students' interest, HAVE a time for talking about natutal disasters.
Because there is an available computer to use Internet in the classroom, a teacher can explain briefly some natural phenonena with photos of typoon, tornado, earthquake, etc.

Step 2. During 1, properly USE some difficult words such as devaste, deadly, collapse, rescue, casualty, etc. The teacher would better write the words on the board.
Kim Hyunjin
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty Outilne of Post-listening comprehension

Post  Kim Hyunjin Thu May 22 2008, 09:20

Step 1. At first, let students listen to the video clip two times, and then ask them several questions. Give them some time to talk one another about the questions.
- What kind of words did you hear?
- Where is it?
- What happened?
- Why did she cry?

Step 2. Give them a piece of paper written the script with blanks.
Have them listen to the video three times. They can help others in their group.

Step 3. Ask them what topic is. Talk with them about China's earthquake.
Give each group a piece of paper and have them write about earthquake.
Students have to hand in the paper before leaving the classroom.
Kim Hyunjin
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty Outline of post-listening activities - in the 2nd class

Post  Kim Hyunjin Thu May 22 2008, 10:19

Step 1. Play the video again and have students listen. Let them present the writing of China's earthquake.

Step 2. Have a time to learn how to survive an earthquake. Make some situation, talking with students.
For example,
- If you are inside when the earthquake starts...
- If you are at home when the earthquake starts...
- If you return home when the earthquake starts...
- If you are outside when the earthquake starts...
- If you are driving when the earthquake starts...

Step 3. Let each student choose only one case, and suppose that they are under the case. Following that, explain them how to write Twisty-turny stories.
Give a paper to each student and have them write twisty-turny stories.

Step 4. After writing, organize students into groups with same case and have them draw and write instructions of the case on the big paper(B4 size).
After that, Present!!
Kim Hyunjin
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty The latest topic

Post  Oksun Mon Jun 02 2008, 12:07

You chose the latest topic, organized the full script and brief summary as well. The earthquake was so terrible and need lots of time and efforts to be brought back to the former state. I like your post-listening productive activity, especially making poster activity. I'm wondering how you make an assessment for that activity. Why don't you give the students have a chance to evaluate their own work and peers' work? It will be more effective way to do instead of teacher evaluating. Good job!
Oksun
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty Re: [Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin

Post  Ji-eun Tue Jun 03 2008, 19:41

Hello! ^^ I was very impressed with your topic and lesson plan so i decided to make comments here. Wink Whenever i meet you, you always look so happy and positive, so i can get some good power from you. And your lesson plan has many similar points with you so i feel some good and happy mode inside it.

First of all, your topic is lasted one and very familiar with students, so it will be comfortable to deal with for students. Thesedays, we can easily meet some kinds of news of disaster especially in China. In addition, through regular class, we are supposed to learn about disaster, too. So it will be helpful to get attention from students.

In my opinion, during the pre-listening activity, if you show some real news and photos in thesedays, students might feel more seriously about what the disaster it is. Through some actual situations, they may recognize the serious of disaster and it will be helpful for comprehension with this video news. And the most interesting part for me is the post listening activity. Due to this process, students can learn about the subjunctive mood and it is connected with writing activity. They can have a time to deal with some grammar with fun and practice writing story altogether!! However, as i think. it you do not keep in contact with twisty-turny story, it will be enough. Because it looks so lots of works for 2 classes. Just make their own story might be better, i think. ^^

Anyway, i felt passion with this lesson plan from you. If you think my comments happily, i will be very satisfied with it! ^-^
Ji-eun
Ji-eun
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty Feedback

Post  Yoobin Cha Wed Jun 04 2008, 19:08

Hi~Hyun jin
Your topic would be intersting enough to attract students' attention. It is not only china's problem but also ours. I heard that the quake was strong and long as buildings in Beijing and Shanghai shook, South Korean companies will face difficulties because the infrastructure in Sichuan has practically collapsed.
your pre-activity is quite well-organized and specific.The post activities are also good to check students' comperhension and promote integration of four skills. Especially, I like the Twisty-turny stories which we did before. It can encourage students imagination and participate in class.
It is for 1st-grade high school students so you can deal grammar in post activities and also
you can explanation impacts on national economy.
I think your lesson plan is great.
Yoobin Cha
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty A tragic but well-known earthquake~

Post  bobosbong Wed Jun 04 2008, 20:15

I'm deeply impressed by your full covery of the script. It was a great help for my understanding the article. I've found several good points of your lesson plan. First, in pre-listenig activity, "giving them some time to talk one another about the questions." This will make students less nervous when asked about them later on in English. And in the post-listening activities, I think using "if you..." pattern will work well: Since students can associate themselves with each situation, they will feel more at home with the questions. This will lead to students' active participation.

However, if you could elaborate on the twisty-tury stories, it would be much better. I wonder the time limit, the length of the writing for each student and so one; writing is a tough process for secondary students, so needs to be carried out with extra care. But it's still a good application learned at class~! I've never thought about that~~!!!
bobosbong
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty well-known and the latest!

Post  Mi Jin Jeong Wed Jun 04 2008, 22:44

Your video is the latest one and the hottest topic recently. I'm sure it's good topic to bring students' full attention and to make them think of the natural disasters.
I think your lesson plan is especially helpful to understand the news story fully and exactly. I've found some good things in your lesson plan. First of all, it seems to be great to give students brief explanations of natural phenomena such as typoon, tornado, and earthquake- the topic of your lesson with pictures by using the internet.Students can understand the news more easily and will not feel unfamiliar with the video.
Second, to have time to talk about the questions each other after two-time listening can help all the students get the right comprehension and give opportunity to correct some misunderstanding through sharing their ideas. Also, through Step 2 of the post-listening comprehension, students will fully understand the video.
What I like most about your lesson plan is that you've applied the twist-turny story activity, which we've done in our class, to your real lesson plan. I think it's appropriate to use it on the stage of the post-listening activity. Sthudents will love it just like we did before.
However, I don't get what you are saying on the Step 4. What they have to draw on the big paper...? You need to give your students more specific instruction about it. Laughing
Mi Jin Jeong
Mi Jin Jeong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty Poor China!!

Post  eunjin39 Thu Jun 05 2008, 00:09

1. This news article will be effective for students to pay attention to the topic because the story is real, and it is one of the huge disasters happened on the earth. The English spoken in the news is appropriate because the reporter speaks rather slowly compared to other news and he or she doesn't have strong accent that usually bother non-native speakers to listen.

2. It's good to see that you revealed who the learners are in the beginning. I like the way you draw students' attention and also I think it's a good idea to teach disaster related vocabulary to the students. I like the way you draw students' understanding by asking some questions to them and the way you combine listening with writing. However, I think this lesson should more focus on listening. I think at post-listening activities, choosing cases and talk about it is okay, but writing twist-turny story may take a lot of time of the class and feel like because of it the whole lesson may lose its purpose and direction.

3. When students present at the end of post-listening activities, do they speak in English? Or, are they allowed to speak Korean? After the students hand in the paper from post-listening comprehension, how would you evaluate it?

4. I think you can make the students feel something and get important lessons from the listening. You can let them know human's life is important or the way to prepare for the disaster like China's by talking about it with students broadly after watching the video several times. Or, you can make them write what they felt after watching the video clip.
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty Casualties Mount in China

Post  Jung Yoojin Thu Jun 05 2008, 06:31

I was surprised you provided full script of video article. Impressive! This is the up-to-date news all over the world, it could encourage student's zest to participate in your class. Through your lesson plan, it is good for learners not only to learn Enlgish but also learn natural disasters. Then, let's move on your lesson plan~

Firstly I would like to mention about your pre-listening activity. Step1 is very interesting and unique as I have read through this forum. Teacher is going to use internet to show some pictures related to natural disasters. Teachers can provide various materials through internet as well as pictures. But,I wonder what is proceeding in step2. I need more specific guidelines in step2. (Maybe you mean you are going to explanin the difficult vocabulary in this stage?)

Second, your post-listening for comprehension seems attractive to me. The most pleasent to look at is step3. Making students hand in papers back to teachers is somewhat crucial for learners to participate. Students must be worked hard to accomplish the papars!

Third, I appreciated that you use twisty-turny story activity for production activity. I prefer what you are going to do in class to do just general writing in groups. I think it is really good idear using surbjuctive mood into twisty-turny story. Because learners can practice grammatical forms through writhing. And I want to mention one thing in this stage, before you give this activity, if you explain subjuctive mood rule to students, it would be better for them to practice. And after finishing the activity, students can share their own story in public in the classroom.(Or like us, put these stories on internet to share^^)
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty Re: [Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin

Post  Kim Jin-Young Thu Jun 05 2008, 08:24

1. This is latest news and a big worry in the world. Therefore, students are already familiar with this topic. Through the highlighted article, students have chance think about and express their own opinions and reactions to peers or classmates.

2. I like your post-listening activities, so I would sum up this as some words: general, realistic, and most effective. I think that your well-organized lesson plan presents clear procedures and explanations. It means rather short but contains all necessary components in it: comprehension checks, facilitating the process of understanding, interesting factors. Also, your plan focuses on the main activity, listening part, as you play it many times with the application of tasks or materials.

3, 4. The twisty-turny stories you mentioned is not suitable for the secondary school students in that students don't have enough writing abilities to maintain stories, even in all kinds of proficiency levels. However, if your expectation is a couple of sentences, it would be okay. Also, I want to see how to deal with students' writings for corrective feedbacks(peer or teacher-centered..?) after the writing activity.

I would say that there are many practical activities and instructions that I have to learn. Thank you for sharing your great idea. Basketball
Kim Jin-Young
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Kim Hyunjin Empty Well-structured lesson plan!

Post  Ryu Jeong A Thu Jun 05 2008, 08:54

I think your lesson plan is deliberately designed according to the students' developmental stages. I also like your intention to lengthen the total lesson span to 2 times class in that your video article includes not only listening activities but also the content itself which is worth being dealt with in English class. Gooood! lol! By the way, you know, I don't get it clearly in the post-listening comprehension activity. There in a step 3, do they have free-writing time on the main topic in a group? If it is the case, I think it will make them a little burdensome. So, what about requiring them to hand in a confined number of thoughts or ideas with contributorrs' name on each of their ideas, which i think prevent anyone of the members from being detached from the main activity^^. I like your concrete and well-developed plan which makes students practice almost all of the 4 skill in learing second language. king
Ryu Jeong A
Ryu Jeong A
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Thu Jun 05 2008, 09:58

It is very heartbreaking and sad news happening in the neighboring country. I also heard that the number of the death people is on increase. I wonder the rescue work is finished. Any way this topic is a good source for the class, I think. Your lesson plan is well-organized with the combination of speaking, writing, reading, and listening. It's perfect!! And you apply some method we learned at the Jason class -the twisty turny writing.
I think your lesson plan is almost perfect. But I don't understand what you mean by the post-listening productive activity no.4. I need your detail explanation. And why don't you teach them some grammar using the video? In Korea school circumstance here, we can't ignore the form-focused instruction. So it's a good idea to add some grammar teaching part in your lesson plan, then your lesson plan includes all parts we need to teach. It would be a great lesson plan, I think.^^
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down