English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Final Exam] Video News from Jeong, Seong-yoon

+4
Kyeong-im
Park, Saang-yung
Lee Pilsu
Jeong, Seong-yoon
8 posters

Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Jeong, Seong-yoon Empty [Final Exam] Video News from Jeong, Seong-yoon

Post  Jeong, Seong-yoon Thu May 22 2008, 18:07

Jeong, Seong-yoon
Jeong, Seong-yoon
Starter
Starter

Location : 101/102 Bo-seong Whang-sil Apt. Jung-gu. Dae-gu city in Korea

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Jeong, Seong-yoon Empty Re: [Final Exam] Video News from Jeong, Seong-yoon

Post  Jeong, Seong-yoon Thu May 22 2008, 19:23

Useful summary

This video clip reports that South Korea culls all domestic fowl in the Seoul area as it tries to contain a second outbreak of bird flu there in less than a week.
However, Seoul citizens are still worried about the possibility of more bird flu cases. Hundreds of officials from Seoul's Gwangjin district government held a chicken soup eating event on Tuesday (May 13) to relieve the concerns of people living in and around the region.

* Pre-listening activities

[Student Level : High School Students 1st grader]

1. Handing out worksheet to the students which students should do brainstorming about knowing the definition on AI(Avian Influenza) in Korea these days.
e.g) What comes to your mind when you think of or hear of AI from news?

2. Letting them find some information on their own about it through internet or newspaper prepared for students in advance.

3. Sharing with each pair on its cause and effect and influence on people just as infection or contagion among people.

* Post-listening comprehension activities

1. Putting them into 5 groups (total 30 students)
Each student can get new sight or main idea while they discuss.

2. For making them understand better, teacher show them difficult idioms and vocabulary in the news one by one before they listen.

3. Making the students summarize the video clip in a group.
- They can let themselves divide two or three parts and dictate it.

* Post-listening productive activities
There are two ways to do class by using games.

1. Having a time for "Survey Game" about video clip's content
Making a list from top 5 to 1 about the best way to preventing from 'AI'.

- e.g) Q: How can we protect ourselves from getting the Bird Flu?
How to play: At this time, every group tries to raise their hands instantly they hear above question from teacher. Teacher should point one group and let that group say right answers which teacher surveyed beforehand and if that group say right, teacher is supposed to give them some points. and in the game end, he tries to choose winner team and give a prize.

2. Writing down any word or idiom as much as they can listen to.

- e.g) Which group is most likely to get a number of words or idioms after you heard of news?
How to play: Teacher should let them listen to the news about five times without stopping. and then ask them how many words or idioms and hand out right answer sheet to the groups and calculate it. the group which has big score wins.
Jeong, Seong-yoon
Jeong, Seong-yoon
Starter
Starter

Location : 101/102 Bo-seong Whang-sil Apt. Jung-gu. Dae-gu city in Korea

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Jeong, Seong-yoon Empty Feedback

Post  Lee Pilsu Sun May 25 2008, 08:16

Hello, Mr. Jeong, Seong-yoon. I think the topic of the video news, or the bird flu virus in Korea, is quite a suitable and interesting one since it is a big problem in Korea and we can listen to it quite often nowadays. So I guess students will get interested if you use this material in your class.

There are many good points about your lesson plan, and especially I like your productive activity No.1, where students make a list of top 5 to 1 about the best ways to prevent AI virus. I think it's a brilliant idea because students are supposed to come up with best possible solutions to a serious problem their country is facing now. They will feel proud of themselves while thinking of this problem as if they are important scientists or politicians. Also, making a list of top 5 to 1 will be fun as the manner is similar to music charts high school students are always interested.

However, I am not sure about your detail explanation of the productive activity No.1. What does "saying the right answers which teacher surveyed beforehand" mean?

If I could add something to your already good lesson plan, it would be vocabulary part in your post-listening comprehension activity No.2. I think it would be better if teacher helps group words under similar themes. For instance, "contain, prevent, proper measure" could be one group, "cull, slaughter" can be another, "poultry, fowl, ducks" and "outbreak, spread, lax quarantine". This way students will get to know the similar or related terms before they listen.
Lee Pilsu
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Jeong, Seong-yoon Empty Hello, Seong-yoon..

Post  Park, Saang-yung Thu May 29 2008, 00:35

Hi. 성윤^^ Seong-yoon.

We worry about AI in Korea as much as about mad cow disease. You chose a good topic related to current issues. This time , a second outbreak of bird flu continues so long. Too bad.....

I liked your first post productive activities as following.

How to play: At this time, .........

Making a list of top 5 to 1 will be interesting. It is similar to TV show programs students like. You will have to act a smart MC(master of ceremony) in the activity. I want to use this method in my class. THanks! Good job you did, man!
Park, Saang-yung
Park, Saang-yung
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Jeong, Seong-yoon Empty It's a tip.. ^^;

Post  Kyeong-im Sun Jun 01 2008, 17:54

Dear Seong-yoon

The AI is also an up-to date event along with BSE. It's enough to attract students' interest and concern. What I want to say about this topic is that it's necessary to inform students of security if they are cooked over 100C. (80C? I'm not sure exact figure.)

It's good to use game in listening activity. Students can concentrate on the listening activity in a relaxed mood. It's interesting and educational. Besides you encouraged students to concentrate on this activity by letting them search information about AI for themselves.

In post-listening productive activity, do they have to write down correct answers or correct words? If they write uncertain words, then isn't it added to the total score?

One of my English teacher said, when he had lived in US, he had heard the word "Korea" so many times in news. However, after he learned "career" he hadn't listen the word "Korea" any more. He mistook "career" for "Korea". So my opinion is that it is necessary to teach them key words before listening. ^^;
Kyeong-im
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Jeong, Seong-yoon Empty Re: [Final Exam] Video News from Jeong, Seong-yoon

Post  Lee Hye Jin Sun Jun 01 2008, 18:58

Jeong, Seong-yoon wrote:Useful summary

This video clip reports that South Korea culls all domestic fowl in the Seoul area as it tries to contain a second outbreak of bird flu there in less than a week.
However, Seoul citizens are still worried about the possibility of more bird flu cases. Hundreds of officials from Seoul's Gwangjin district government held a chicken soup eating event on Tuesday (May 13) to relieve the concerns of people living in and around the region.

* Pre-listening activities

[Student Level : High School Students 1st grader]

1. Handing out worksheet to the students which students should do brainstorming about knowing the definition on AI(Avian Influenza) in Korea these days.
e.g) What comes to your mind when you think of or hear of AI from news?

2. Letting them find some information on their own about it through internet or newspaper prepared for students in advance.

3. Sharing with each pair on its cause and effect and influence on people just as infection or contagion among people.

* Post-listening comprehension activities

1. Putting them into 5 groups (total 30 students)
Each student can get new sight or main idea while they discuss.

2. For making them understand better, teacher show them difficult idioms and vocabulary in the news one by one before they listen.

3. Making the students summarize the video clip in a group.
- They can let themselves divide two or three parts and dictate it.

* Post-listening productive activities
There are two ways to do class by using games.

How to play: At this time, every group tries to raise their hands instantly they hear above question from teacher. Teacher should point one group and let that group say right answers which teacher surveyed beforehand and if that group say right, teacher is supposed to give them some points. and in the game end, he tries to choose winner team and give a prize.

2. Writing down any word or idiom as much as they can listen to.

- e.g) Which group is most likely to get a number of words or idioms after you heard of news?
How to play: Teacher should let them listen to the news about five times without stopping. and then ask them how many words or idioms and hand out right answer sheet to the groups and calculate it. the group which has big score wins.

I think Ss will feel familiar aout the news because the background of the news is Sout Korean and they can hear a bit of Korean. I think you chose a good clip for them.

And you set the concrete level for students. I think the news itself is not so difficult for the stuents of 1-grader of highscool but I think it's a little bit difficult for them to talk about the cause and effect in English and discuss things that are a little bit heavy.

Survey Game is very intersting. Throgh that kind of activity, they can buid some cooperation among Ss and Engish can be just the tool for some purpose.

And also you can have some quiz show abut the content with grioups.
Lee Hye Jin
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Boyun Park Tue Jun 03 2008, 13:46

Hello,
AI... this has been issue in Korean for quite a long time now but people still don't have exact opinion nor knowledge about it and just kind of avoid eating chicken as much as they can. Food problem is a big thing in Korea now including AI and 'crazy' cow event. This is directly related to our Korean eating and also health so more active action should take place. Governments and officials are trying to demonstrate that they are safe by eating them in public or showing the report but people just cannot seem to let go of their doubt and still many hesitate to eat. I hope this AI problem will solve soon because many chicken-related restaurants and industry are suffering and this could also affect Korea's economy.
About the lesson plan Smile , I thought you organized and made it from student's point of view and it could be adjusted to the class well. Post-listening activity is context based and students will be able to understand and comprehend the video to the point.
There were just couple things I wanted to ask you to be clear. In pre-listening part, do students prepare 2 part in advance as a homework? And about "survey game", I like the idea of let students play game with English question and answer time but didn't quite get what you meant by survey. Is the list you said prepare by teacher or? students research in advance?
A little thing I thought that could be added to your lesson plan is that at productive activity stage, students only get points by how many idioms or words they hear from the video. However, I thought they could get extra points by actually using them in different sentences. (The meaning of it could be discussed in groups)
Another thing is that since you have an activity called 'survey game', I thought the teacher could also add some more useful tip game. As I mentioned before, Koreans don't have much knowledge or many are still confused about AI. The teacher might have a T/F game about AI fact. It'll be another English game and students can get some useful information about the bird flu as well. Hope the reply helped! Exclamation
Boyun Park
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Jeong, Seong-yoon Empty Have you heard about Boiled chicken?

Post  Jung Yoojin Wed Jun 04 2008, 22:26

I am not sure how to say in English "Samkyetang(삼계탕)." This topic reminds me Samkyetang related to the beef from America. Let me explain a little about this. As you know the general Jung Uncheon announced before ,"we trade beef with Samkyetang." I do not sure it is right expression or not. But I was pretty anxious why he say so based on Korean civilians' health. But anyway, this just hit me ^^[I am sorry I talked too much]Let's move on topic. First of all these days lots of red-hot issues on articles and videos concerned with health. I also chose genetically modified food which effects people's health. This topic can be contraversial topic in Korea and in the classroom. But it is good chance for learners to engrave the information of AI and the prescriptions.

Second, your pre-listening is a gread idea to elicit concepts of AI in brainstroming. But I would recommend you if you do brainstorming with whole-class, it would make students more active. They might enjoy speaking out their prior knowledge, it means they can participate in a vigorus way. And I like the point which you mentioned you make students research about topics in advance and sharing in pairs. They can enjoy searching some information independently and learners can have lots of opportunities to interach each other when they share their opinions.

Third, it is interesting, "the survey game", in this game students might take part in competitive way but they can speak English a lot. But I worry sometimes students lost the aim of game and they just want to get score from answering. So games should be done with care at any rate. Because there should be dominant group and less-dominant group, we need to consider making them and giving them balancing opportunities. How about giving them some project work focusing on AI? jocolor
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News from Jeong, Seong-yoon Empty Sick Chickens

Post  eunjin39 Thu Jun 05 2008, 01:03

1. This news will absolutely draw attention from students. That is because AI prevented students from eating delicious fried chicken and other chicken related food. The article is really interesting, but it's so sad to see chickens and ducks should be buried under the ground without knowing the reason.

2. I like your lesson plan because you mentioned who the learners are, making students understand more about AI at pre-listening activities, and explanation about the game. However, you didn't clearly mention where the students should listen to the news while taking a class, so the flow of your plan doesn't seem smooth.

3. Before doing post-listening productive activities, does teacher make sure that students didn't write down the words or idioms from a previous activity?

4. As one of the post-listening productive activities, you can make the students compete in groups by giving them vocabulary quizzes.
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down