English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twisty Turny Story

Go down

Twisty Turny Story Empty Twisty Turny Story

Post  Boyun Park Wed May 28 2008, 17:55

Smile By Yoo-bin Cha, Mi-hyun Park, Sung-han Bae, Young-ah Kim, Eun-kil Jang, Pil-su Lee Smile

Hi ! It's the year 2015. I am a Korean student and I have just graduated from high school. I really have to say that I feel very proud of and confident in my English proficiency ! I am not a special student. I'm average. But almost all "average" students in Korea these days like English and can use it well. That's because English education in Korean public schools is very different now compared to 10 years ago.

First, in last 10 years, studying abroad and immigration have become very common. The national policies have changed a lot also and we import and export with open arms. Students have much more chances to communicate with foreigners for those reasons. We can come across many Chinese people also and speak English with them. A terrible disaster(earthquake) occurred in China in 2008 which affected global economy and many primary material prices went high. Since then many Chinese people have wanted to go abroad to earn money. I became friends with some of Chinese students too who are living in our neighborhood.

Second, there were around 40 students in one classroom back then. Now, however, there are more or less than 15 students. This is only happening at English class time though. We divide into two classes for English time according to our English levels. This helps students get individual attention from teachers. Moreover, we can learn faster and more efficiently based on our levels.

Third, our textbooks have changed and all subject books are written in English except for Korean language book. After all, Korean is our mother tongue. In every class, students are not afraid to talk in English, both asking their questions to teachers and getting asked by teachers. Therefore, compared to 10 years ago, we students pick up English language in easier way.

Forth, 10 years ago, the number of students were large and so whenever they tried to speak in English to one another, the atmosphere was not good and very noisy. But the number of students have decreased. The activity has changed. Speaking in English is a good chance to make the language his/her own. Sometimes, in 'Tell and Show' time, the students bring their belongings and introduce them in English. The audience also get to ask about them in English.

Fifth, students in Korea now have to choose whether they will learn English in public high school or not. If you decide not to take English, you don't have to feel stressed about learning English. But, those who chose English subject may have more chances to practise English or talk with native speakers in English. Of course, those who do not take English may learn English in their community language center which is set up in every district in Korea. Those who are highly motivated to learn English may be in a better position to choose the college they want to get in.

Last, students in 2015 are more competent in English because Korean people don't care much about English education. This may sound contradictory but 10 years ago, people were overly enthusiastic about English. Back then, students had a lot of stress because they had to study English for many hours everyday. They went to private English institution or get private tutoring for English. But that didn't help students psychologically. They were nervous about learning English. Some were hysterical when they heard, "Study English!" from their teachers or parents. Now, nobody tells me to study English. The "craze" is gone. People don't care about English education anymore, and suddenly our English improved!

Boyun Park
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down