English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OP8 : How do you think the next generation of teachers in Korea could ensure that teaching approaches incorporate a more even balance (and integration) of skills?

Go down

OP8 :  How do you think the next generation of teachers in Korea could ensure that teaching approaches incorporate a more even balance (and integration) of skills? Empty OP8 : How do you think the next generation of teachers in Korea could ensure that teaching approaches incorporate a more even balance (and integration) of skills?

Post  Ju-mi,Im Mon Jun 09 2008, 11:10

Most of the English language instruction carried out in public schools has been oriented around reading and grammar skills. How could the next generation of teachers in Korea ensure that teaching approaches incorporate a more even balance (and integration) of skills?

Attempting various teaching skills leads to balancing integration of skills (speaking, listening, writing, and reading), not only focusing on one skill.

For example, just in doing simple group working, students talk with other members and listen to each other basically. When I did student-teaching, my supervisor teacher asked me for translating the passage, explaining grammars and letting students memorize important sentences. Of course, I followed her but tried small activities after finishing one paragraph to check whether students understand and know the text well. Despite it was not special, comparing to existing lessons, students came to have chances to interact in pairs or groups and also the efficiency of the class improved.

Textbook is usually designed well including four skills but in reality there aren’t many teachers who use its contents fully. Teachers need to make good use of it and by adding and developing supplementary method and better materials, conceive a balance of skills together.

I think it’s not the totally environmental problems but the solvable problem by teachers’ effort. Teachers should do their best consciously and continuously to keep a balance of skills in the instruction of English.
Ju-mi,Im
Ju-mi,Im
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down