English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13)

+34
Ryu Jeong A
kurt
jangdj
Park, Saang-yung
Kim Hyunjin
choi Eun sil
sunnypine
Lee yujin
Jung Yoojin
Ji Young, Kim
jihyun
Kim Eun-jung
Boyun Park
Lee Hye Jin
bakbann
inmyheart479
Kang Eunmi
Joo Un-jin
Nam-suk
Kyeong-im
Han Kyoung Jae
Yoobin Cha
Mi Jin Jeong
Kim Jin-Young
kiera
billy
Oksun
Liz
eunjin39
Lee Pilsu
kim young-ah
Bae Sung-han
bobosbong
Jason Renshaw
38 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13)

Post  Jason Renshaw Sun Mar 09 2008, 09:36

Hi students,

I am going to start posting video news articles here in advance, to give you time to watch and learn from them as much as you like before the actual class. Then, in class, we'll watch the news stories one more time and then move into group discussion.

Here are the video news stories for this week (which we will discuss in class on Thursday, March 13).

Australia condemns whaling battle

Mar. 8 - Australia calls for anti-whaling activists and Japanese whalers to show restraint.

The call comes after an activist said he was shot during a clash with Japanese whalers in Antarctic waters. Japan's fisheries agency said coastguard officials had only thrown "flash grenades," which are used for crowd control and are not regarded as weapons.
Michelle Carlile-Alkhouri reports.

Jet Li, Jackie Chan face off!

Mar. 7 - Two titans of the kung fu world Jet Li and Jackie Chan square off in China's most expensive film ever made.

Jet Li, born Li Lianjie in Beijing, started practicing the martial arts, or Wushu, when he was eight. He won several national championships as a teenager before he gained instant fame for his role in the 1982 China-made movie Shaolin Temple. He is now the most paid Chinese actor in Hollywood. Jackie Chan is arguably the most famous Chinese kung fu movie actor, famous for his comedy-style kung fu fighting. Starting a career from early 1970's, he has played roles in over 100 films.

Cindy Martin reports.

New camera identifies age and gender

Mar. 7 - Introducing the latest electronic invention in hi-tech Japan - a camera that recognises one's age, face and gender.

The camera debuted at the Tokyo Security Show and can also search and identify faces amongst a pool of pictures.

Frances Yoon reports.

Remember that our main goals are to:

- Summarize the main content of the story
- Express some personal opinions in response to the stories and issues
- Make some predictions based on the content of the story

Good luck and look forward to seeing you on Thursday evening!

- Jason

Last edited by Jason Renshaw on Fri Apr 25 2008, 13:34; edited 3 times in total
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty opinion&prediction on the 3rd video

Post  bobosbong Thu Mar 13 2008, 21:28

I think the new gadget is a very creative model getting one step closer to AI Smile .
However, I don't think it will be popular on the market even though it will be launched. How many people or organizations are intereted in one's age and get benefits from capturing the ages of the people concerned. That is, it won't get the attention from the general public but only from a few organizations that need cutting edge technology as the report have mentioned.
Moreover, the vedio said that it could actually have a marginal error-minus or plus 10(?), even making less reliable on the camera. 10 years is too much of an inaccurate estimate; It's a happy thing that I have a possibility to look like a teenage girl, but in the worst case...I'd better not imagine.. I still have a long way to go and venture. bounce

In a nutshell, the new camear identifying age and gender is sure a novel creation; however, it might be forgotten sooner or later due to less demand and inaccuracy.

This was a prediction based on my opinion. Have a good weekend everyone. See you next Thursday. TGIT(Thanks God It's Thursday!)
bobosbong
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty 3rd video news - opinion and prediction!

Post  Bae Sung-han Fri Mar 14 2008, 08:59

Opinion : There are a lot of strange persons in Japan. They made today introduction about the digital carmea which can find the age and gender.
In my normal life, I don't get it why he made it. But somehow it probably helps the government to find and capture suspects or missing people. Maybe the idea that the developer decided to invent the camera was from the scientific fiction and he paid attention to the idea. So strange! How did he make such a bizarre decision? Anyway it's funny though to me. Very Happy

Prediction : I already mentioned about the government which might be interested in it. It is difficult to say that the camera will be hit in the public, but in the specail way to use, I think the business will be successful in a couple of years because the crime rate has been rocketing. Like in London, there are thousands of cameras around London for surveillance so that the government might need that for prevention of crime or for finding suspects involving a crime and so on.Idea
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty ON THE 3RD VIDEO.......^^

Post  kim young-ah Sat Mar 15 2008, 09:54

I think this new digital camera is very cool. How surprising this camera identifies one's age and gender!!!!
But if a person is a transgender or he/she had a plastic surgery - particularly he/she had the wrinkles (around eyes/nose) removed or had his/her face bones cut, how can the new digital camera do that?
Anyway, this article reminds me of the movie "Minority Report".
In that movie, every place has a sensor that identifies the civilans (who pass by) who they are by their names and ID numbers. The sensor identifies a person by one's iris scan.
Like this, the new digital camera can also help many people, organizations or industries with more developed other than age and gender.
If more developed, the new camera can help police officers find the criminal suspect(s) and it can also make our ID cards unneccessary because the new digital camera identifies the details of ours like age, gender, and so on. But I worry about the privacy.
And the new digital camera will be made use of the industries like shops or stores. First, the camera takes every information of new stocks at a store or shop even though it doesn't take its age and gender. Gradually, whenever the stocks are taken out, the camera check the rest of stocks automatically. Therefore, the arrangement of stocks would be easy.
Someday all of these things might work.

Thank you. Have a nice day. Basketball
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty I have a bad feeling about the technology.

Post  Lee Pilsu Sun Mar 16 2008, 08:57

Opinion: I think store owners who deal with thousands of customers will probably like the invention because if they can analyze the data of a great number of cutomers' age and gender easily and quickly thanks to the device,
they will be able to produce new marketing strategies based on the information.
However, I'm highly doubtful whether people, from the customers' perspective,
will favor the idea that their age and gender are exposed to and accessed by somebody that they don't know personally. Especially,age, which is of course a private information, can be very sensitive to many people. The fundamental problem with this technology is that it's secretive and unilateral because the camera is placed or hidden somewhere to do its fuction by the store owner, while the customers don't recognize that their faces are pictured by the camera and therefore their age and gender are revealed, while doing their shopping.
This can be utmost unpleasant experience for any customers in a shop.

Predictions: As I mentioned above, I don't think the technology can be used for the interests of a certain individual's profit-making, in this case, store owner's. Because it's not only next to impossible to get permission from every customer that walks into the store, but also it's against people's sentiment to keep their private information. In short, the technology will not be usable in real society.
Lee Pilsu
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty 3rd video opinion and prediction

Post  eunjin39 Sun Mar 16 2008, 22:20

cyclops Cool I think the new technology is really brilliant and interesting because predicting a person's exact age is not easy for most people; however, a mere program can do it by analyzing many data. I'm so surprised to see how much our computer technology developed today. I feel Mad scared of standing in front of the camera because I don't want to reveal my age sometimes albino . I believe this technology will benefit police with finding theives and will also be developed to guess westerner's age. However, I guess this program will have difficulty guessing the age of people who had plastic surgery.lol!
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty opinion&prediction

Post  Liz Mon Mar 17 2008, 07:36

opinion : I think every new technology has two sides. If people use that for only good purposes like capturing criminal suspects or boosting sales, it will be fantastic. However, there may be some people out there who would use it for their crime or something.
prediction : Although there is some possibility of misusing this high-technology, it is very useful indeed. Especially, it will be very helpful for finding out target customer. So in the future, it will be able to recognize not only Asian but also other races. Furthermore, if this technology get so popular, it will be upgraded to recognizing height, weight or some other physical factors.
Liz
Liz
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty Opinion and prediction On the New Gadget

Post  Oksun Mon Mar 17 2008, 09:51

OPINION : A few months ago, to develop smoking prevention strategies, a Japanese company unveiled adult recognition cigarette machine that could tell customer's age. At this time,again, they made a more advanced gadget. It can be effectively used for store oweners to analyze gender and age of their customers.It will be easier for the police to identify criminal suspects,as well. However, it's definitely not a pleasant idea that somebody's watching me and telling who I am from a perspective of gender and age.Personally, I agree that modern products have improved the quality of our lives but with the convenience of civilization,we could be ruled by it, I mean,we could be poached on our own preserves.That's why I can't accept this brand-new electronic invention.Mad
PREDICTION: As I mentioned above, store owners will welcome this gadget with open arms.They will use it to manage their shops effectively.The banks might install this camera to their ATMs. Maintenance offices in apartment complexes will apply this camera for anti-crime within their areas. Although it has a marginal error area (plus minus 10years) and just recognize Asian faces, it'll be a great success in business world.
Oksun
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty A new gadget - an asset or a nuisance?

Post  billy Mon Mar 17 2008, 13:01

Opinion: I think the new camera invented by a middle-aged Japanese is not going to make sensation in the world, but it occurred to me that it really can make our life a bit fun and interesting. Suppose when you and your friends stand in front of this camera and bet on who looks older. However, it may also play havoc with the lives of ordinary people. Think about someone screening walking people in the street and targeting some of them who look like around the age they are looking for. They may be targets for commercials, or even worse for crimes. Like all the other modern inventions, this gadget may be an asset or a nuisance or harm to us.

Prediction: I don't predict this new digital camera will make a great success, but it may be something that will catch the public attention. However, as there are so many worries about media infiltration into private life in Korea, the public opinion will not let this new gadget spread in this country.
billy
billy
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty Opinion on 3rd Topic

Post  kiera Mon Mar 17 2008, 19:07

Very Happy Opinion : I think this new camera technology will contribute a lot to reducing crimes. However, it also need to be improved since it only has data on Asian people.
And I don't think this technology will be popular among ordinary people who want to use their digital cameras for personal reasons such as taking pictures of their family members or friends.

Exclamation Predition : I think technology itself is neither good nor bad.
Rather, People who use it or the way people use it will determine its usefulness and goodness.
As I already said, this new technology will do goods in reducing crimes.
However, there might be new kinds of crimes making bad use of this technology ,and
it would seriously harm other people's privacy.

Last edited by kiera on Tue Apr 08 2008, 13:10; edited 1 time in total
kiera
kiera
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty It's not breathtaking... what is next?

Post  Kim Jin-Young Mon Mar 17 2008, 22:19

-opinion -

I think that the camera with special functions is not a breathtaking device to everyone because the capacity of it has been considered to be completely imaginable for years.

Also, I object to the comments of laboratory manager, when it comes to some great effects(he mentioned) in the field of identifying criminals. The reason is that a majority of data are not plentifully provided so far to make the most use of it.

- prediction -

We know about many kinds of plastic surgeries and some drugs such as a very efficacious medicine(Botox) to clear off wrinkles around eyes or a nose. With this reason, the exact prediction of people's gender and age may not be meaningful for just normal people.

However, if the principle of the camera was combined with practical use, it could give us many advantages or potentials. For example, if a couple of compartments in each subway train are open to only women, the camera in front of the door will keep men from entering the allotted space.

Also, the time may come true when we don't have to be checked in entering bars, once the camera identifies each person's age. That is, checking ID cards may not be necessarily required.

Anyway, I hope that something breathtaking will be released based on this principle. alien
Kim Jin-Young
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty My opinion & prediction on the smart camera- video 3

Post  Mi Jin Jeong Mon Mar 17 2008, 22:20

It is interesting that a camera can distinguish persons' age and gender. And I impressed that how far the technology of Japan has advanced through this video. Also, it's good news that the new camera would be helpful for the police to identify suspects or criminals, as the video says.

However, I don't think it's going to soar its sales on the market in a short time, although it's a incredible breakthough in technical field. It could be inaccurate sometimes, because it have a margin of error as much as 10 years and it can tell only the Asian face. What if people disguise with a wig, men to women, women to men? Or what if they get plastic surgery, and get botoxed?

Therefore, they need to make efforts to develop more accurate camera if they want to boost their sales and to make the new thing more popular. Because nobody is willing to pay high costs for the things making errors.

Thanks. I'll see you this Thursday. ^^ Razz
Mi Jin Jeong
Mi Jin Jeong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty on the 3rd video

Post  Yoobin Cha Mon Mar 17 2008, 22:50

Opinion: : It is incredible. It's a major step forward to state-of-the art technology. The visions I had from my childhood came into reality. When I was young , the media said that there would be a robot to replace humankind and to help us reduce workload significantly. Now, I can see a variety of stuff that I would never imagine in the past, which only existed in the movies or scientific magazines. We can operate the whole house system by using a cellphone, you can turn on TV or turn it off.

Prediction: The technology will be widely used for crime investigations throughout the world. It used to take lots of time to track down a suspect based on blurry pictures from surveillance camera.
Since it is developed, it will help facilitate the process of finding the suspects.

Last edited by Yoobin Cha on Tue Mar 18 2008, 20:08; edited 2 times in total
Yoobin Cha
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty MY opinion and prediction on the 3rd video

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Tue Mar 18 2008, 08:45

Above all, I was impressed by the Japanese and once again realized that Japan is superior in the high technology field ,especially digital camera and software. They always think about making something unique and sometimes strange... Smile But, I don't like this kind of device personally. Because, if people around me can use that device my real age may be revealed. Asking age is a private matter and every women including me wants to look younger than real age. So it might make annnoying problem for women I think. Also I won't buy and use it. Sad Exclamation
However, it can be a good thing for other aspects. If it comes into the market, it can stimulate someone's curiousity and it can be sold well. Then we Korean might develop similar kinds of devices which have similar functins. Also, it may make other countries' companies compete and make that kind of industry more advance and develop. Then it will be able to show a person's specific information as well as just age and gender. Furthemore, the camera can easily show the person's specific information so it can be well used to investigate criminals. Nowadays, if some criminals disguise themselves well and perfectly, the police can't recognize their real figure and will have some difficulty in investigating. But if the police can use this camera, they can find the criminals more easily than now. When it comes to investigating criminals, maybe the criminals' trick or method will be more advanced as well.... Rolling Eyes
And I have a qustion about the device's fuction. How can they distinguish someone's real age and gender, if he or she took a plastic surgery??? The device must be modified and more advanced if they want to make good use of this machine. Everything in the world has both advantage and disadvantage. And we can use this technology to make our life better making corrections which the device has.
We need to think positively.^^ Very Happy
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty opinion and prediction- 3rd video

Post  Kyeong-im Tue Mar 18 2008, 11:24

opinion : At first, I thought that's so impressive. Digital camera can tell our age and gender. How intelligent! However, everything has pros and cons. As you hear, it may be very useful to identify criminal suspecter. The reverse side of the medal, criminals can use it, too. Besides, to do this, our photos might be registered in computers and it induces private life/problem. I don't like someone know my age or other information just by taking my photo. Embarassed This gadget, as many other hi-tech items, also has both good points and bad points. The best way is to maximize its advantages and to minimize its weakness.

prediction : First, before selling or merchandising it, it is needed to check how the information this camera tell us is believable. Second, governments make strict rules or regulations to use or sell this gadget. Based on these two, it sells well in particular areas such as in police, shops, searches using statistic, etc.. It may provide them with detailed information compared to just photos and makes it easier for them to do something more effectively. Rolling Eyes
Kyeong-im
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty On the 3rd video

Post  Nam-suk Tue Mar 18 2008, 19:57

There's no doubt that Japanese are really good at making cutting edge gadgets, this new camera is also just amazing which is far different from just conventional surveillance camera and it is opening of new chapter in that field.. That sophisticated gadget might be the crucial thing to catch criminals just like the content of this video...However, in a way, I doubt Japanese really deserve it. I mean the speed of their hi-tech development is just skyrocketing, but their spiritual thing doesn't seem to keep pace with it. Still their premier visits to the shrine, and they don't hesitate to manuplate our history and designated name of place..
If there're two elements, to lead a good result from them or even get a synergy, they need to keep their pace same or at least similar..otherwise, the gap between them can cause serious side effects like deviation of people or even crime...Japan is notorious for the high crime rate while it is one of the leading countries of advanced technology...If they can be more mature, they might be less needed this kinda thing to track down criminals which might be the major purpose of it..I guess..

Anyway, this camera is a incredible tech, and it will be one of the essencial things for searching or investigation worldwide..

Last edited by Nam-suk on Tue Mar 18 2008, 20:17; edited 1 time in total
Nam-suk
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty opinion and prediction on the 3rd video

Post  Joo Un-jin Tue Mar 18 2008, 20:11

opinion: I was impressed with the new camera which shows Japan's development in technology. They are good at making things, especially the electronics I think. Their high technology and new idea attract people all over the world.

Sometimes they are useful. As reported in the news, they make it easy to identify the suspect. When we take a photo of someone, they tell us his/her age. They give us a kind of personal information. It can be useful when we want to know about him/her. And they also prevent us from telling a lie about our age.

But the question I have now is whether it is really necessary or not. Most of the people can tell someone's age just by looking at the photo. We say things like "Maybe he is at his 40's." They reported that the camera had plus, minus 10 year margin. What is the difference? I think to be more helpful in our lives, they have to be more accurate.

prediction : The technology with the cameras will be more developing. Someday they can tell a person's age almost correctly. Then they will become more helpful in our lives. Nobody never tells a lie about his/her age- in a bar, ticket office and so on. Moreover they will be able to tell a age of all races. Usually Easterners have difficulty in guessing Westerners' ages and vice versa. But you will not have to be worried about it.

If they get popularity, other companies will make the cameras which have the similar function. There can be some argument about its originality.
Joo Un-jin
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty Re: This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13)

Post  Kang Eunmi Tue Mar 18 2008, 21:11

Well... indeed, the camera is an innovative invention. However, I'm kinda sacred of letting know my age and identity by the camera,
because our society needs to be anonymous in some ways.
If everybody is not able to keep their private lives by the camera-it can tell who is who-our society might get in trouble.
I think, the camera will be sold by many curious people. Which means, the business will be very successful.
Anyhow, I can't help speaking well of Japanese' creativity. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Kang Eunmi on Tue Mar 25 2008, 20:50; edited 1 time in total
Kang Eunmi
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty On the 3rd video

Post  inmyheart479 Wed Mar 19 2008, 07:15

Japan has never let us down as far as electronic device is concerned.
The camera which can tell my age and gender? What a BIG suprise. Since this is the fresh new one of a kind with the function of identifying age and gender, it could be drawing some attention. Some customers might be purchasing it out of curiosity (I will do if the price is resonable) or in order to take a look at it how this amazing gadget works. Especially to the police, the camera makes it easier for them to identify the suspect. It looks totally convenient and boost sales for the store owners as well. However, if I make another prediction, some bad points should be taken into consideration. As matters stand today, personal information, or privacy is very sticky point. If this camera comes into the market so that people can make a purchase and use it at their convenience, the issue of invasion of privacy will bring about even though some might not regard it as an privacy problem. Who in the world is willing to have their photo taken by someone unknown while walking along the street? What if the target is transgender or someone who is not straight but still afraid of coming out of the closet? I might be going overboard making it out of proportion but this issue should be considered before it is overused.

Apparently, this camera is incredible breakthrough though. My hat off to the developer of this camera.

Last edited by inmyheart479 on Wed Mar 19 2008, 21:33; edited 1 time in total
inmyheart479
inmyheart479
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty It's amazing but needs some caution.

Post  bakbann Wed Mar 19 2008, 09:29

The camera is definitely impressive and intriguing. At the same time, however, I am worried about the side effects it can bring.

On the one hand, I think this digital camera should be credited for its creativity and contribution to the development of science. This camera seems like a real innovative and high-tech device that I can only see in sci-fi movies. Moreover, I am sure this will be a stepping stone to the advancement of intelligent machine that nobody can even imagine.

On the other hand, it seems to have many problems to be used in the real world. Some people may be curious about this camera and eager to test it whether it really figures out their age and gender. Others, however, may not want to be "estimated" their age by the machine. Thus, this should be used under the permit of people whose pictures or video is taken or recorded. Imagine, as soon as you enter a store, you are told your age and gender by a camera. How would you feel? Furthermore, as this can be used on criminal purposes, there should be certain types of law to limit the purchase. For example, purchasing this gadget can require registry like a gun.

Last but not least, people who invented this camera need to work more to narrow the margin of error. With this huge error range, it will not be helpful either for police nor store owners who will be major customers, as the manager in the video clip said.

All in all, although the new camera shows incredible technological innovation, it should be used with caution and it needs improvement.
bakbann
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty My opinion and prediction about the 3rd video

Post  Lee Hye Jin Wed Mar 19 2008, 10:53

opinion

With the benefit of modern technology, a great deal of progress has been made.

However, I think as technology is more developed the public privacy is more violated. So most of the honest and common people like me would not be happy about the news. Every technology has some good things and bad things. Some people will get advantage from it but for others it might be harmful.

However, I think we can't avoid this kind of situation. There are a lot of device using personal information for marketing and other purposes. Because technology is being developed day by day.

prediction

The camera would be developed more precisely so it could guess people's age and gender in the world without any error. So most of the store owners will use it and try to analyze their appetite. And CCTVs in dangerous areas will be replaced to these cameras. So not only the police but the government would be happy with this hi-tech camera.
Lee Hye Jin
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty My opinion and prediction on 3rd video.

Post  Boyun Park Wed Mar 19 2008, 10:57

Very Happy Opinion : It is very intresting and also shocking that these little digital cameras can tell people's age and gender. I knew Japanese were great at technology but this just proves it more. However, I can't help wondering how the camera will distinguish people who might have wrinkling-removed surgery or they just happen to be very young looking? Or does this only apply to most of normal people? This technique could be useful in various areas where we need to identify someone but have to be careful since it could invade one's privacy at the same time. Probably, some people don't want their identifications to be revealed in public.

Very Happy Prediction : I believe this could be a big help for policemen in finding suspects especially when they don't have much evidence other than vague digital camera picture. It will shorten their time in narrowing down the suspects. Currently, this digital camera can only be worked on Asians, but Japanese will soon have data for other races and earn a lot by exporting the cameras.
Boyun Park
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty opinion and prediction on the 3rd video

Post  Kim Eun-jung Wed Mar 19 2008, 11:30

Opinion and Prediction:

Japan developed a new digital camera that can tell any person's age and gender. Definitely, it is an advanced technology. But new products based on high technology aren't necessarily successful in the market. When first released, they can seize the attention of the customers temporarily, but they can't survive if they just show off the new technology. They should have practical value and meet the customer's needs. For example, Napster could be successful not because the advanced p2p technology itself but because the free music contents users can get. The technology that can tell age and gender is a real invention, but what can we do with that technology? Only early adopters of technology might respond to the product and boost the sales temporarily, but as time goes by, customers' interest will gradually disappear.

Japan is a high technology power. If they can't succeed in marketing this product, they will invent and release another product based on this technology.

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty Every invention has good points and bad points!!

Post  jihyun Wed Mar 19 2008, 18:59

In my opinion, every invention has good points and bad points and this new invention, age and gender measuring camera, as well. In this large and wide world, there live so many people and they have such a different perspective about even just one small thing. Nobody can absolutely say who is right and who is wrong. It's same about this invention, too. Some people would say that's a really cool thing and others would say that's just a crazy and rubbish stuff. For me, it looks like only fun and interesting toy. But it's just my opinion and I want to tell you why I think like that way.
First of all, we don't need to predict or measure people's age and gender. We will know by their appearance whether he or she is a boy or girl. Of course there are some transgenders, but I don't think we need to know if they are originally males or females. Maybe there are some special cases in which we should know their gender but, even at that time, we have to keep their privacy. We can't tell their gender and their privacy in this "rude" way. About the age? Wow! That's more incredible!!
Actually I can't understand why people try to invent that kind of stuff. However I have to agreed that these fuctions of camera can help police or goverment to catch the criminals or prevent crimes anyway. Except that, what this functions for? I can't imagine. It's beyond my imagination.
As time goes by, and as more devices are invented, people can save their time and thier energy for doing some kind of works, but at the same time, it's very hard to keep one's privacy and secret. The world is so open! I really want to keep myself from being exposed to unknown people. There maybe many people like me, I guess. So I predict this "strange" stuff will disappear from the normal people's life. However who knows it is the start of making a movie story real situation!!Shocked Laughing

Last edited by jihyun on Wed Mar 19 2008, 19:11; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : ^^)
jihyun
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty My personal opinion and prediction on the 3rd video news

Post  Ji Young, Kim Wed Mar 19 2008, 19:36

Opinion: Wow. It seems like we have another great invention here. I feel a bit ashamed to say this, but actually being very far from a 'creative' or 'imaginative' person myself and not knowing much about 'technology' stuff, I often doubt if there will be any more great or - at least - surprising inventions in the world. Because there are many times I just feel that we have 'already' invented all the things we need and that there's simply nothing more left to be invented or developed.

However, actually there always seem to be endless new brilliant inventions or cutting-edge gadgets which make us stunned. This camera must be one of those inventions.

Prediction: Technology seems to advance rapidly every day, so in the near future maybe there will be another kind of camera which is more sophisticated and stunning. For example, as in the movie, "Minority Report," we'll be able to have the kind of camera which can scan your eyes and tell your identity immediately through iris-recognition. (OR do we have this kind of camera already???)
Ji Young, Kim
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13) Empty Re: This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next