English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OP3: Skills required to become good at speaking in English.

3 posters

Go down

OP3: Skills required to become good at speaking in English. Empty OP3: Skills required to become good at speaking in English.

Post  Cho Jun-woo Wed Apr 02 2008, 15:52

In my opnion, there are 5 basic skills to be a good user of English. As you know, speaking, listening, reading, writing
and I want to add culture. I believe if without cultural backgroud never understand language. I want to separate 2 parts.
Speaking and writing as productive skills and listening, reading as a acceptive skills.

First of all, productive skills. These skills are more important and harder to improve than others. Because language is tool to communicate others. Actually, in Korea English education system, we dont's focus on speaking and writing. Most of students are lack of confidence. To improve productive skills, teachers should give encouraging and do not much focus on accuracy.

Secondly, acceptive skills. These skills are required much more than other skills. While university enterance examination required these skills. However to improve we need to be active. Not spoon feeding study, we should study only ourselves.
More reading and listening, how much we exercise diligently and steadly that decide how much improve.

Lastly, nowadays, our education system begin to reconize the improtance of culture education. How they different? it's important. Language reflect culture. It means we should know cultural background, we can use it very fluent. I see hard work and interesting is the most important thing not only language learning also all studies.
Cho Jun-woo
Cho Jun-woo
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

OP3: Skills required to become good at speaking in English. Empty Re: OP3: Skills required to become good at speaking in English.

Post  Younghee choi Wed Apr 02 2008, 17:32

Your comment on cultural issue is impressive and persuasive.
I also believe having a cultural background can make us more understanding to other cultures and deepen the relationship with people from other countries.
Added to the knowledge of language itself, understanding other culture through the language learning means accepting their values and ideas.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

OP3: Skills required to become good at speaking in English. Empty Jun-woo's feedback

Post  Jason Renshaw Sun Apr 06 2008, 10:50

Hi Jun-woo,

Thanks for your essay. It's good to see that you are making a lot of rapid improvements in your writing.

There is a major problem with the essay to start with, and that is that you have misinterpreted the topic. You've typed the topic is about skills required to become a good speaker of English, but then your essay talks about a variety of skills that have little to do with speaking. Perhaps you got confused and repeated the task from the timed essay in class... Perhaps you just didn't pay attention.

Even without the topic error, your categorization starts out well enough, but then gets rather messy... Is this a two or three body-paragraph essay? Why are there so few details to support the main idea of each paragraph? Is there any conclusion? Also, the introduction is rather poorly formatted and untidy. The sentences shouldn't carve up like that and end up finishing half-way across a page or always starting on a new line. Last but not least, there are several spelling/typo errors that shouldn't be there, and you have confused the ideas of "acceptive" (no such word in the English language, though there is "accepting") and "receptive" skills.

While I am happy to see your progress, to be honest this writing effort looks extremely hasty and rushed. Limiting your effort and commitment in writing tasks effectively limits your overall writing proficiency by a similar margin... This essay would earn a very low score in a test situation, mostly because of the confusion with the topic, but also because of several other areas where you really aren't paying sufficient attention to your writing skills.

Below are some suggestions for your language development:

Cho Jun-woo wrote:In my opnion, there are 5 basic skills to be a good user of English. As you know, speaking, listening, reading, writing
and I want to add culture. I believe if without cultural backgroud never understand language. I want to separate 2 parts.
Question Speaking and writing as productive skills and listening, reading as a acceptive skills.

Question First of all, productive skills. These skills are more important and harder to improve than others. Because language is tool to communicate others. Actually, in Korea English education system, we dont's focus on speaking and writing. Most of students are lack of confidence. To improve productive skills, teachers should give encouraging and do not much focus on accuracy.

Question Secondly, acceptive skills. These skills are required much more than other skills. While university enterance examination required these skills. However to improve we need to be active. Not spoon feeding study, we should study only ourselves.
More reading and listening, how much we exercise diligently and steadly that decide how much improve.

Lastly, nowadays, our education system begin to reconize the improtance of culture education. How they different? it's important. Language reflect culture. It means we should know cultural background, we can use it very fluent. I see hard work and interesting is the most important thing not only language learning also all studies.

Cool These are the productive skills of speaking and writing, and the receptive skills involved with listening and reading

Cool First of all, there are productive skills

Cool Secondly, we might describe certain other skills as receptive in nature

Please try harder on the next task and pay more attention to what is being addressed in class and the examples of other writers in this forum.

Best of luck,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

OP3: Skills required to become good at speaking in English. Empty Re: OP3: Skills required to become good at speaking in English.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down