English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Personal opinion ^^

4 posters

Go down

Personal opinion ^^ Empty Personal opinion ^^

Post  samuel Sun Apr 27 2008, 17:22

Hello.
How is your weekend going? I'm taking a rest at home.
Today, I went to downtown with one of my Indian friend. He bought his cell phone. He looked very very happy.
Anyway, I have something to say about what we did last Wednesday. Dr.Jason gave us some papers to fill in the blanks. There was a theme about movies. The reason he chose the theme was that everybody can enjoy the theme.
But!!!!
I strongly disagree with that!!!!!!! I don't enjoy movies at all. So I couldn't answer almost every questions. As I'm crazy about sports, I don't know about movies- chracters, backgrounds, etc.
I don't want to blame Dr.Jason. It's just my opinion about movies and the class. Anyway, cause we don't have any class tomorrow(^^), see you next Wednesday^^

-Samuel
samuel
samuel
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Personal opinion ^^ Empty Re: Personal opinion ^^

Post  Kat Mon Apr 28 2008, 10:38

Hi Samuel,

First of all, thanks for sharing your opinion with us!
It is a pity that you do not like movies, but if you like sports, why don't you create a similar exercise by combining these two topics or any other topic you enjoy, thus make sure everybody will find some theme that they are interested in. Just a thought.
Anyway, have fun!

Regards,

Kat
Kat
Kat
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post  Abby Yun Mon Apr 28 2008, 17:52

Hi, Samuel

Thank you for sharing your thought with us :-)

Actually, I agree with Dr. Jason. I think movie is a common topic, and most of people enjoy the movie. Yeah, you know. Not everyone enjoys movies-just like you-, but we cannot make all of them happy and satisfied. Of course, we should try to make them feel good and comfortable with the topic we choose. So, we need to choose general topic, such as movies, sports or something like that.

I think you're kinda exception of movie. :-) Just like I'm the exception of sports(Actually, I don't really enjoy doing sports.) And I think it's okay that there is one or two exceptions - I mean students who are not interested in the given topic - because we(teachers), of course, change topics everytime. If some students feel uncomfortable with a topic, but they will get other chances.

I think the most important thing is to try to choose general topics and if there are students who don't like the topic(so, they are not concentrate on class), you should try to make them keep concentrate on class with special attention.

- Yun, Ji ah
Abby Yun
Abby Yun
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw Tue Apr 29 2008, 04:00

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for sharing your opinion on this issue.

Of course, no matter what topic you bring to any classroom, there will always be the chance that one or a couple of students don't really take to it (meaning: like it). So you're a good example of how that happened in this case!

Some of your classmates have already made some good responses about this issue. I think Abby in particular has hit the nail on the head. It may be impossible to fully engage and motivate every single learner in any given class with particular topics, but out goal is to make sure we can get as many of them involved in it as possible for each given class, and constantly rotate and adapt our topic foci across lessons to increase the chances that everyone will get a topic that they find interesting at some point.

With the topic of movies, I think even if you are not a movies fan it is still the kind of topic you can talk about. There is a good chance you will know the titles of some movies, as well as the names of some directors and actors. As a teacher, I would try to know my students, and in your case Samuel I would try to marry your interest in sports with the topic of movies. I would encourage you to think of some programs or movies that have sport as their focus, for example. I might also allow you to adapt your responses to indicate you like sports broadcasts or documentaries rather than movies, and then you could name your favorite athletes as the actors.

In any case, thanks for bringing this up and thanks to Kat and Abby for your responses. It is worth discussing!

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down