English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Survey for graduate students - can you help me? :)

4 posters

Go down

Survey for graduate students - can you help me? :) Empty Survey for graduate students - can you help me? :)

Post  deep26 Tue May 06 2008, 12:16

Hello, nice to meet you. I'm Lee Hyun-ae from Jason's another class named 'Methodology of Spoken English Skills' for undergradute students. I'm junior majoring in English Education.
I'm not sure if undergraduate students can upload a post here but I made a COURAGE for my homework and I think it can give us many things to think and talk about.

I'm taking a class named "Theory and Practice in Curriculum(교육과정의 이론과 실제)" in department of education in this semester. The professor gave us a homework. It includes stating some detail objectives for a certain goal in a subject(in my case, English subject) and then surveying the ideas of graduate students, professors, and peer students about the priorities of the detail objectives. So, if you have some time for participating in this SURVEY, can anyone help me? Smile

Goal: Helping the 1st graders of middle school improve their English speaking skills

Specific objectives :

1. Helping students learn the expressions which can be applied in specific situations (automaticity)
2. Putting an importance on improving students' intonation and pronunciation(enunciation)
3. Helping students learn how to organize gramatically correct expressions(grammar)
4. Making students be exposed to specific speaking situations which are similar to those of real-world. (exposure)
5. Giving students lots of chances to get feed-backs from their teacher and peer students for their speaking(feed-back)

All you can do for helping me is making the priorities of each of the 5 objectives above and arrange them like this : for example, '1-4-5-3-2' and a short description of the reason for your thought. Of course, I think the 5 are all important in organizing a curriculum for helping students improve their English speaking skills but I want to hear your opinions. Very Happy

Thank you for reading and have a nice day.
deep26
deep26
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Survey for graduate students - can you help me? :) Empty Re: Survey for graduate students - can you help me? :)

Post  kim young-ah Tue May 13 2008, 22:57

If i could help you,....
My opinion is that the priority is like 1-5-4-3-2.
That's why ... first, the teacher should teach the expressions to the students and then the students should learn and review them. After that, they can get the feed back one another.Third, the students need to be exposed to the speaking and expressing situation to check the contents that they learned. Fourth, if the communication is conducted, the correctness of grammar is important. Last, pronunciation (pronunciation is not as important as communication) because we are not the native speakers and our English is not a standard. I mean we way Korean English not American nor British.
Is it OK, Ms. Lee ?
Good luck.

deep26 wrote:Hello, nice to meet you. I'm Lee Hyun-ae from Jason's another class named 'Methodology of Spoken English Skills' for undergradute students. I'm junior majoring in English Education.
I'm not sure if undergraduate students can upload a post here but I made a COURAGE for my homework and I think it can give us many things to think and talk about.

I'm taking a class named "Theory and Practice in Curriculum(교육과정의 이론과 실제)" in department of education in this semester. The professor gave us a homework. It includes stating some detail objectives for a certain goal in a subject(in my case, English subject) and then surveying the ideas of graduate students, professors, and peer students about the priorities of the detail objectives. So, if you have some time for participating in this SURVEY, can anyone help me? Smile

Goal: Helping the 1st graders of middle school improve their English speaking skills

Specific objectives :

1. Helping students learn the expressions which can be applied in specific situations (automaticity)
2. Putting an importance on improving students' intonation and pronunciation(enunciation)
3. Helping students learn how to organize gramatically correct expressions(grammar)
4. Making students be exposed to specific speaking situations which are similar to those of real-world. (exposure)
5. Giving students lots of chances to get feed-backs from their teacher and peer students for their speaking(feed-back)

All you can do for helping me is making the priorities of each of the 5 objectives above and arrange them like this : for example, '1-4-5-3-2' and a short description of the reason for your thought. Of course, I think the 5 are all important in organizing a curriculum for helping students improve their English speaking skills but I want to hear your opinions. Very Happy

kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Survey for graduate students - can you help me? :) Empty Re: Survey for graduate students - can you help me? :)

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim Wed May 14 2008, 11:10

Well.. I would go with '4-5-1-3-2.'
Although feedback between a student and the others as well as the one between a teacher and a student is of importance, I think it more helpful for students to be exposed to the language in a very natural environment more often. One problem that a number of students get to have is not knowing how to apply what they've learned in class to the real conversation. To make up for such a matter, it is needed to offer students as many opportunities to deal with actually speaking in a real world as possible and then have some time for feedback. Since teaching useful expressions forward magnifies the effect, it shouldn't be ignored. And, considering that the major goal of speaking is communication, I weighed grammar and especially intonation/pronunciation less than the others.
I hope my answer can help you with the survey. Very Happy

deep26 wrote:Hello, nice to meet you. I'm Lee Hyun-ae from Jason's another class named 'Methodology of Spoken English Skills' for undergradute students. I'm junior majoring in English Education.

Specific objectives :

Hyo-Jin Kim
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Survey for graduate students - can you help me? :) Empty hi~

Post  Yoobin Cha Tue May 20 2008, 19:17

Nice to meet you. I guess you are positive, active person.
I choose 1-4-2-5-3.
On the average,Korean have studied English for over 12years.
Koreans are usually excellent in grammar but they still have a problem with speaking English. I think students need to learn expressions which can be applied in specific situations automatically. Speaking English can be improved by repeated practices.
I also think that they're also required to be exposed to specific speaking situations which are similar to those of real-world. Of course, this teaching is based on improving students' intonation and pronunciation.
Students always need to helper who can give them lots of chances to get feed-backs.
It can be their teacher and peer students.
Lastly, students learn how to organize gramatically correct expressions to organize English systematically in their brain.
Yoobin Cha
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down