English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP7 ]What I'd like to implement as an English teacher in public school

3 posters

Go down

[OP7 ]What I'd like to implement as an English teacher in public school Empty [OP7 ]What I'd like to implement as an English teacher in public school

Post  Youn Sujin Thu May 08 2008, 12:47

OP7: Think about your own experiences as an English language learner. Based on this experience, what would you like to implement and achieve as a teacher of English in the Korean public school context?

As the world faces globalization, it becomes important for the people to have proper degree of communication skills with English, which seems to be the most influential language in today's society. In this context, English education is more crucial than ever to train students communicate in English. In fact, English education in Korea looks overflowing with enthusiasm; however, the results are not always satisfying in the perspective of real communication.

What is the problem? Reflecting on what I have experienced as an English language learner, the most fundamental and deep-rooted problem is the absence of English-speaking environment in public schools. In English classes, it is hardly possible for learners to fully use English: the students are only required to read, listen, correct grammatical errors and memorize vocabularies. Occasionally, but not very often, writing activity is also given, while the chance to speak out loud in English never appears in any class. In English classes like this, we can not expect language learners to get full understanding of the language, and to communicate effectively in that language.

Why there are less chances to use productive skills, especially speaking, in public schools? There is something about learners' attitude towards English. In my English classes, it was like a taboo to speak in english. If someone spoke in English, he/she was considered to be boastful and more likely to be left out by his/her classmates. The negative image of speaking in English might have been come from the tentative agreement that learning English learning is not an easy one among the students. This renders the classroom silent, or too noisy with Korean when learners should be practicing their speaking abilities, discouraging teachers to give excrcises for pruductive skills in the end.

English teachers are also responsible for this matter. I have met a lot of teachers who were strict most of the time. With these teachers, language learners cannot help being silent not to be scolded, and hesitate to speak out. In addition, students in public school tend to focus on the test results, it's hard to motivate students to improve their speaking proficiency which will not be on the test. Therefore, teachers who are discouraged by students' attitude give less and less opportunities to practice speaking, giving students an impression that speaking ability is not really necessary.

What I would like to achieve in public school is to change those customs and attitudes. The first step should be to let the language learners acknowledge the importance of enhancing speaking ability and to let them know the ability is not that hard to obtain as they have thought of. I would first make students speak English from the easiest step, that will relieve the burden of using a whole new language, and put it in the test. Though this method is irrelevant to drawing out learner's own will, students would take speaking ability important.

Additionally, comfortable atmosphere is essential for encouraging learners to speak. In group activities, students can be separated depending on their characteristics, not on their language proficiency. Because an introvert learner may feel uneasy and is less likely to get a chance to practice speaking skills in a group full of vigorous classmates. In fact, I was a shy student and couldn't get a chance to express my opinion even in Korean. For the students who are not courageous enough, I would like to make the class easy and relaxed.

The problem I have experienced in public education settings might not be a simple one which can be easily solved with my suggestions, and there will certainly be other more effective and powerful ways to clear up the hindrances to achieve the real goal in public English education. Whatever method I choose, I hope all the efforts will make a different Enlgish class, where we can found liveliness and eagerness to speak English among the students.
Youn Sujin
Youn Sujin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP7 ]What I'd like to implement as an English teacher in public school Empty Re: [OP7 ]What I'd like to implement as an English teacher in public school

Post  Younghee choi Thu May 08 2008, 20:44

As you pointed out, peer pressure is one of the causes to hinder students' speaking ability.
Even students who have lived in English speaking countries are reluctant to speak in English freely because they are afraid that they are showing off when they speak English.
In my opinion, a teacher should let the students know that we can learn from those who are prominent in speaking and encourage group work of students with different levels.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

[OP7 ]What I'd like to implement as an English teacher in public school Empty Re: [OP7 ]What I'd like to implement as an English teacher in public school

Post  Sera Jung Fri May 09 2008, 13:23

I agree with your opinion . Though it is very important to practice speaking English , it is not easy to motivate students to do so. Making the atmosphere to allow students to feel free to speak English without thinking of other peers and mistakes will be important.
Sera Jung
Sera Jung
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down