English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP7] things to implement and achieve as a teacher of English

2 posters

Go down

[OP7] things to implement and achieve as a teacher of English Empty [OP7] things to implement and achieve as a teacher of English

Post  Younghee choi Sun May 25 2008, 21:55

[OP 7] Think about your own experiences as an English language learner. Based on this experience, what would you like to implement and achieve as a teacher of English in the Korean public school context?

My experience as an English language learner goes back to the first year of middle school. Contrary to the extended English learning to elementary school, back then it was in the middle school to start English lesson in the public school settings. Since English was not as important as these days, obtaining knowledge about English rather than improving communication ability was emphasized. Therefore, we were requested to equip ourselves with the reading ability for college study.

Looking back, there was no Internet or computer so I couldn't imagine learning with multimedia. Telling this kind of old story, it sounds like I am from a primitive place, but it is true. English class was basically made with a traditional grammar translation method in which a teacher focuses on teaching grammar and translates the reading into Korean. There were rarely communicative activities among students. Assessment was also mainly directed to evaluate students' reading ability.

Nowadays, the development of the Internet changed the direction of English learning and teaching. Students came to have more opportunities to be exposed to English more often than before. In addition, they can get an access to English through other venues rather than English class such as playing games, American TV drama, news, movie, and so on.

However, despite this dramatic technological change, most teachers' teaching methods seem to remain the same for many reasons such as the teacher's convenience, class for entrance examination, and lack of financial support. If I were an English teacher, I would like to employ many kinds of multimedia which may stimulate students' senses. First, to touch their visual and aural senses, I'll make use of visual stimuli such as movie, pictures, and video. Added to that, I'd like to implement hands-on activities in order for them to do something on their own, which can enhance lengthening of their memory.

In conclusion, teacher's one way lecture is hardly an effective way to keep students' attention throughout the class. Only small percentage of students will follow the teaching. In my opinion, language is not the knowledge to convey but something to acquire in a natural way by being exposed to and enjoying it as long as the communicative ability is the ultimate purpose of teaching the language. I believe a teacher should take advantage of plethora of sources from the Internet and create or share many interesting teaching ideas with other teachers to provoke students' interests and motivation.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

[OP7] things to implement and achieve as a teacher of English Empty How are you?

Post  Jung namsook Tue May 27 2008, 16:20

Hello Younghee

I completely understand what you are saying. Likewise I also began to learn an alphabet as a first grader of middle school. At that time My classmates and I was so enjoyable that my English class seemed always to be filled with the students encouraged. Actually we scarcely had a private English education then. Even though I couldn't make use of any other media, I was fun enough to be into English class. On the contrary, I'm a bit sad to see younger students even preschool kids being stressed with English learning. I hope English education will be changed in the coming generation. In that sense, I expect you to be a better educator equipped with ability and effort. I think you would be the one.

Bye
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down