English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life...

+27
Nam-suk
eunjin39
Ji Young, Kim
Mi Jin Jeong
choi Eun sil
sunnypine
Han Kyoung Jae
bakbann
jihyun
Ji-eun
Boyun Park
Joo Un-jin
kurt
Oksun
jangdj
Lee yujin
Lee Hye Jin
billy
Kyeong-im
kiera
Jung Yoojin
inmyheart479
Kim Jin-Young
kim young-ah
Liz
Bae Sung-han
Jason Renshaw
31 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty Re: New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life...

Post  Nam-suk Wed Apr 16 2008, 09:32

Ji Young, Kim wrote:Dear Sam,

I have a very bad habit. As far as I remember, I've always had this habit since I was very young, so I simply don't know how to get rid of it.

My problem is that I always put off the things I have to do until the last possible moment!! I don't want to be a irresponsible person, so I usually finish my job just before the deadline. However, I always procrastinate and never start doing my job early enough, so in many cases I don't have enough time to get things done perfectly and find myself just trying to meet the deadline. Of course it makes me really stressed out, but I repeat same mistakes again and again.

If I can't get out of this awful habit, definitely I will be in big trouble sooner or later!!

What should I do??

-from a very frustrated chronic procrastinator Crying or Very sad

I've also been there done that..and still that happens to me from time to time lol ...Some people around me used to say people with thoat kind of habit hardly change that cause they were born with it..However they were so wrong..I was one of those kinds of people, and I did my best to change my attitude like putting off something to the last moment...Like others, it was challenging to me in the very beginning, but like "NO gains without pains" .(I know it's too cliche)...It's worth doing for your own life, otherwise you just might not get out of that evil cycle I guess. Personally, I asked some help to my own friends when I was into the change..I made a promise to give moneywhen I couldn't meet my own deadline to do something For some time,,the amount of money that I had to pay wasn't small..lol..but I bet it was really helpful to me and It worked in a way....

I think you were already done half of it cause you realized it and want to make a difference...I'm sure you can make your own effective way through your family or friends..Good luck with it..

Last edited by Nam-suk on Wed Apr 16 2008, 18:01; edited 4 times in total
Nam-suk
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty I need your advice!

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim Wed Apr 16 2008, 10:58

Dear Sam,

Hello. It's great to get to know you here. Very Happy
I'm here to get your wise advice.
I've been feeling something wrong with myself these days.
To speak more specifically, it is a little long story.

Around a year ago, I used to study very hard just like all the other classmates to enter a graduate school since I was eager to be a teacher, a really good teacher that I had always dreamt of in my school days. When I succeeded to pass the exam of KNU, I couldn't be happier and I was full of confidence that I would be able to do anything around the world. So I wasn't worried at all though I was well aware of the fact that I wouldn't just have to study but to work on purpose to earn my school and living expense.

After I moved to Daegu, I got my first job in an English kindergarten and soon my first semester at graduate school started as well. I found it never easy to make a balance between work and study. I got so exhausted both physically and mentally in teaching little kids everyday that I couldn't focus on school. I couldn't even meet the deadline of some assignments at times. I was terrible at controlling kids as well as teaching so I often lost my voice. And I also kept it in my mind that working wasn't the reason why I came to Daegu. As it gave me too much stress, I decided to quit the job. I started wondering if I could be a really good teacher after that. I got another job not to depend on parents and to figure it out. I had to teach adults English conversation this time. Although it was also difficult at first, it was very fun and I thought I had a potential anyway. There was still a problem, which was that I didn't have much free time. I wasn't working hard as the first time for the same reason and I felt like I got used to it. No
At the beginning of this semester, I tried to renew myself. I made up my mind to certainly do my best for the whole semester. Nevertheless, as I got another job, I found the same difficulty again. I couldn't fully attend to school! And I've been often rebuked for lack of charisma to control students again.

For those reasons, I feel kind of lost these days.
What should I do?
If you were me, what would you do?
I'll be looking forward to your thougtful answer.
Have a nice day. Bye. Like a Star @ heaven

Sincerely,

Hyo-Jin

Last edited by Hyo-Jin Kim on Fri Apr 18 2008, 05:15; edited 1 time in total
Hyo-Jin Kim
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty Re: New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life...

Post  bakbann Wed Apr 16 2008, 13:05

Lee Hye Jin wrote:I easily get nervous or feel small when I have a problem or something unexpected comes up to me. No matter how small it may be(actually I feel every thing appears big for me) I always can't sleep or have a haedache.

For example when I had a test back in my school days, my hands got wet so that I can't hold the pencil, which I recoverd as time went by.

Now a days... I have to show my English class to other English teachers and principals from other middle school. From the moment I heard the news I feel really nervous and feel small and can't sleep deeply... And I can't think about any good idea about the class. What should I do?

Do you have any good idea about my class or any ideas about how I could ease my tense. I need your help Sam...

I totally understand how nervous you are when you show your class to other teachers and principals. However, there are many ways to release your tension. For an instant effect, you can have something sweet like chocolate or candy just before your class or presentation. Studies have indicated that endorphin from sweets make you feel more relaxed. Additionally, you can do breathing exercises. It's simple, fast, and easy. First, sit or stand with relax. Slowly inhale through your nose for five seconds, and exhale for 8 seconds. Repeat this for several times. There's more detailed information about this exercise. http://stress.about.com/od/breathingexercises/ht/breathing_ex.htm

Or what about trying meditation? It may not be helpful for now, but I'm sure this will relieve your stress in the long run. Hope this helps. =)
bakbann
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty Try Yoga^_^

Post  bobosbong Wed Apr 16 2008, 13:13

An idea hit me~!!! How about trying yoga? In my case, being tired makes me get distrated and quite hard to sit on a chair. So, why don't you try some light exercises such as yoga, jumping ropes or meditation and so on. I think they will help you concentrate on your study in some part. Sound body sound mind. Bye^_^

Lee yujin wrote:Whenever I try to concentrate on something, I find myself easily distracted by everything surrounding me.
I want to get useful tips to help me concentrate from Sam!!!
bobosbong
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty Hyo-jin~Keep your chin up~!!

Post  bobosbong Wed Apr 16 2008, 13:24

I think working is always challening whatever the work is. I feel it to the bone that there's no free ride in the world, the old used to say, though I didn't listen to them carefully. One thing is sure if there's a will, there's a way. I think you're always trying hard. Your hard work both at work and college will pay off in the end, and to top it off, your English is fantastic cheers , great alien enough to go on to the next career. Keep your chin up~See you on the exam day^^

Hyo-Jin Kim wrote:Dear Sam,

To speaking more specifically, it is a little long story.

Around a year ago, I used to study very hard just like all the other classmates to enter a graduate school since I was eager to be a teacher, a really good teacher that I had always dreamt of in my school days. When I succeeded to pass the exam of KNU, I couldn't be happier and I was full of confidence that I would be able to do anything around the world. So I wasn't worried at all though I was well aware of the fact that I wouldn't just have to study but to work on purpose to earn my school and living expense.

After I moved to Daegu, I got my first job in an English kindergarten and soon my first semester at graduate school started as well. I found it never easy to make a balance between work and study. I got so exhausted both physically and mentally in teaching little kids everyday that I couldn't focus on school. I couldn't even meet the deadline of some assignments at times. I was terrible at controlling kids as well as teaching so I often lost my voice. And I also kept it in my mind that working wasn't the reason why I came to Daegu. As it gave me too much stress, I decided to quit the job. I started wondering if I could be a really good teacher after that. I got another job not to depend on parents and to figure it out. I had to teach adults English conversation this time. Although it was also difficult at first, it was very fun and I thought I had a potential anyway. There was still a problem, which was that I didn't have much free time. I wasn't working hard as the first time for the same reason and I felt like I got used to it. No
At the beginning of this semester, I tried to renew myself. I made up my mind to certainly do my best for the whole semester. Nevertheless, as I got another job, I found the same difficulty again. I couldn't fully attend to school! And I've been often rebuked for lack of charisma to control students again.

What should I do?

Sincerely,

Hyo-Jin
bobosbong
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty Ji-young

Post  bobosbong Wed Apr 16 2008, 13:35

I think it's your style. Though you tend to finish work near the deadline, I don't think you've forgotten it all over. It must have been all the way in your subconsciousness, working itself. So, you don't need to be compelled to get out of your habit. It's not that serious, but if you want to put a little bit of change in your pattern, why don't you arouse yourself with a simple way such as put up a note on your computer monitor. ^_^

I have a very bad habit. As far as I remember, I've always had this habit since I was very young, so I simply don't know how to get rid of it.

My problem is that I always put off the things I have to do until the last possible moment!! I don't want to be a irresponsible person, so I usually finish my job just before the deadline. However, I always procrastinate and never start doing my job early enough, so in many cases I don't have enough time to get things done perfectly and find myself just trying to meet the deadline. Of course it makes me really stressed out, but I repeat same mistakes again and again.

If I can't get out of this awful habit, definitely I will be in big trouble sooner or later!!

What should I do??

bobosbong
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty Deae Liz

Post  Kang Eunmi Wed Apr 16 2008, 14:02

Dear Liz.
I know how much you care for your students, espescially the boy in your class.
As you know, it's true that preants' social standings and financial abilities make the gap of educational background between them in Korea. However I don't think it's a good idea to send him private academy or something to catch up with your class. I think, regardless of his understanding of class, he really seems to respect you as a teacher. So why don't you make a little time for him after school about 10min~30min. It won't take your time a lot. Then he can have a great perspective to teachers!

Sincerely,I love you Eunmi

Liz wrote:Dear Sam
Hi, nice to meet you.
In my homeroom class, there is a boy.
He is such a nice student who is kind and has a good personality and I like him a lot. Nowadays, it is very difficult to find a student like him. One day, he came to me and said 'I am really poor at English. Although I'm a middle school second grade, I don't even know ABC.' I asked him whether he is getting a help from somewhere else like an academy or tuturing but English classes at school were the only source. I'm sure that he wouldn't understand a bit of the class. He must be so bored! I don't know how I can help him and where should I start. Do you have any suggestions?
Kang Eunmi
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty To me, you're too challenging-2 worries

Post  bobosbong Wed Apr 16 2008, 14:08

Dear Sam, I have two worries.

One, Sam and everyone could you give me some tips on English writing. I'm most intent on writing nowadays. Although I've got some adive from the books, they were mostly geared towards native speakers. For instance, avoiding cliches might be a good tactic, but I feel using them is safter way rather than trying a totally creative pattern.
How can I create a beautifully-written essay or a book(someday^_^) in English?
Do you think it's even possible to publish a book in Egnlish? or did you ever think about that, yourself becoming a writer or novelist in the Egnlish lg?

Two, I have a disabled student, 34 years old. He doesn't distinguish, /d/,/z/,/s/. He pronounce them all the same. I guess he suffered from polio when he was young. He's been in my class for over 6 months, being so diligent that hardly skips the class. Not only his physical problem, also he's self-centered like an elementary school student. One day when I held a party, he didn't bring snacks for the class, but...ate literally a lot. I sometimes find him annoying, though I shoudn't feel like that as a teacher and service provider: He has a right to take my class....
bobosbong
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty Listen to my story!!

Post  Kang Eunmi Wed Apr 16 2008, 14:28

Hey!! Hyo-Jin.
While I read your story I feel that we are in the same boat.
But your situation is much better than me.
Let me tell you why.
I'm a freshman like you and I have a job, which is very irregular.
I teach at an elementary school and a middle school after they finish their classes also I tutor two students. Sometimes I finish my work around 1 a.m. not p.m..^^;
But my job is not done yet. Which means, I have a husband and a only 13 month daughter. There's lots of things that I take care of as a house wife and a mom.
When I was under graduated student, I used to study and tutor as I was pregnant. After I gave a birth, I still did those things at the same time. Sometimes I made breast feeding into a small bottle for my baby in the toilet at knu everyday.
At that time, I was happy, because I thought to myself how many people could endure in my situation?. Also I had to pass the enterance exam like you here M.A. and I did.
Nowdays, I'm still hetic but I'm happy what I achived.
I know you can do that better than me. Never forget!!
You are the only one who makes it happen!!
Sincerely,
Eunmi I love you

What should I do?

Sincerely,

Hyo-Jin[/quote]
Kang Eunmi
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty weariness in my married life

Post  Kang Eunmi Wed Apr 16 2008, 14:43

Dear Sam.
Please help me. Here's my problem.
These days, I'm not intereted in anything. Which means, I want to do nothing. I think I've got a spring fever. But a few month ago, I was enthusiastic about everything.
Now, even I feel like a looser!!
I think all my problem come from weariness in my married life.
Actually, I have a very devoted husband and he really loves me. But, I don't want to make a conversation with him. I want to spend more time with my friends, not him.
We' ve been married for about more than five years.
I really envy the freedom of single women. I shouldn't have married in my early 20s.
Oh~ what should I do?
-From a looser!
Kang Eunmi
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty Don't lose your original aim

Post  Kang Eunmi Wed Apr 16 2008, 15:08

I was really happy to read your story.
As you said, there are many people to become teachers because of its beneficial things. What a sad, isn't it?
However, we should be aware of many people also don't trust some teachers as well. People thought teachers are getting changed. Which means, they don't care and ignore students' concerns seriously.
I think you and I including all of us should try to be sincere teachers and show peole our real education!!

Kyeong-im wrote:How eagerly do you want to be a teacher, especially middle and high school?

In my case, since I was a middle school student it has been my entire dream. BUT now.. frankly speaking, i don't know well.

After failure in teacher's exam, I wonder what I want to be. Now, I just teach kindergarten students and 1st/2nd grade elementary school students English. Through this experience I could learn something which I've never learn teacher's college. Compared to preschool education, secondary education is really different one. I think, now I'm learning what education is. general concept.. It's really interesting to hear my students' English saying, "good-bye", "brush your teeth", etc.. Even they are humming in English! When they call me smiling on their face, they hug me, and their mothers send me text-message "My child is really like this English class. Teacher, thank you very much.", I think, it is worth while to keep on this work.

However, because most friends around me want to be/are teachers, sometimes it seems to me that it is the way of failure not to be a real teacher(i mean "real teacher" = pass the teacher's exam). um.. just.. confused.. nowaday...

BUT I have a dream that every children who want to study can do it without financial difficulty. the truth education.. I mean Cham education.(참교육) Someday I will make it. I expect the day and train myself now...

p.s. ; my writing.. it's a little long~ and it seems serious story. If this makes you feel down, I'm sorry. silent I just want to say.. Sometimes telling something gets rid of stress. hahaha... ^______________^;;
Kang Eunmi
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty re

Post  jangdj Wed Apr 16 2008, 19:39

Kim Jin-Young wrote:How about saying to him the fact that you rarely get asleep during the nights?
I know that habits during sleeping can not be corrected with ease. However, I think that there is a difference if you inform him of your trobles. Once he is told that trobles caused by him, very often he feel sorry about that. And then, he sometimes talks to you in the morning like this "How was your sleeping? Did I snore a lot? It trobled you? Sorry..." These comments may calm down your anxieties even if you feel much bad.

In my case, I had three roommates when I was a undergradute student. Can you imagine how various types are in one room. I have gone through many trobles...
Sometimes, before assigned to a new room, I prayed a lot not to live with any naughty girls. Although I was senior in a room, I could't say any problems to them. I thought that as I feel some trobles caused by someone, I may give some trobles as well.

If I have to live in a dorm again, I would say some of it, but not to hurt their minds.

jangdj wrote:[ I am living in a dorm and of coures I share the room with room mate.
He is nice guy has down to earth personality. But the problem is that he snores with very high pitched sounds.
He kept me awake all the night, but he is best roomate for other reasons. What should I do ?

I bought ear plug today . Hope it works well..
jangdj
jangdj
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  billy Thu Apr 17 2008, 10:54

Dear Misunderstanding...

First i would like to give my heartfelt sympathy to you. I used to have the same feeling that you have had. It was before i got a job and met my wife. I thank my wife for relieving me of this unnecessary sense of inferiority resulting from the first impression that i thought arised from my facial expression. When i was in college, my seniors used to tell me, "Please simle. Your seemingly grumbling face may give them a bad impression." I thought to myself that I must do something about it and seriously considered plastic surgery - the so-called 'double eyelid' surgery. However, then i found out that the problem might have been in my face in part, but mostly my enigmatic expression, which is called '무표정' in Korean. Then, i tried to smile to the people around me at all times. I think your seemilngly uplifted eyes are not the problem. As far as i remember, you have a good face and seem to have a nice charcter. Just like i did, smile every time you get a chance. Thanks for reading my humble suggestion!

Kim Jin-Young wrote:Dear. Sam
Hi. It's good to meet you on-line here.
I have a problem about my first impression. I didn't recognize how first impressions were important to make friendships, especially to newcomers.
My face and attitude look a little cold, so some people think that I'm that kind of person. Sometimes, I blamed my uplifted eyes for that reason. At other times, I blamed my shyness that resulted in misunderstanding.
I have tried to express positive action to others since I was advised not to make a stony face. However I don't want to pretend to be always happy. Actually it's comfortable for me to look at somthing without any thought for the time being. Like this. silent
billy
billy
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  billy Thu Apr 17 2008, 11:09

Perk up! You will get through it!

As you mentioned here, most of the people attending the graduate school of the teacher's college have the second job, i mean, except for being a graduate student. So, almost everyone tries very hard to keep up with both their study and work. I would like to say to you, "Perk up! Get things organized! And focus on what you need to do urgently!" As Professor R. Jason said, we are not undergraduate students any more. We have to figure out what we gotta do. I also posted my own problem here. Some people responded to my request in a positive manner. That helped me a lot. The situation you are now under reminds me of when i went to the undergradue school in KNU. At that time, i had to do tutoring as a part-time job and study to prepare for the teacher exam, the so-called '임용고시'. At that time, I had to support myself and study 'well', which really stressed me out. Like i said earlier, please pluck up the courage to face everything that stands in your way and make a successful job. I am sure you are more than qualified for this study and your work, too. I wish you the best!

What should I do?

Sincerely,

Hyo-Jin
billy
billy
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty Dear Eunmi~I envy you

Post  bobosbong Thu Apr 17 2008, 13:19

Eunmi, I didn't know that you are married. You look so~~young. By the way, all your problems seem to me like a bliss, already having an adorable baby and a loving husband. Although you're struggling now among several roles, your family will be there when you need them most. Not only that, you're going to have a leisurely mid-life compared with your friends who married later than you because your kid will have already been grown up, giving you more time for yourself. You might feel burdonsome now but I think you're buying the future happiness with it. Once again, I envy you^_^

Kang Eunmi wrote:Dear Sam.
These days, I'm not intereted in anything. Which means, I want to do nothing. I think I've got a spring fever. But a few month ago, I was enthusiastic about everything.
Actually, I have a very devoted husband and he really loves me. But, I don't want to make a conversation with him. I want to spend more time with my friends, not him.
I really envy the freedom of single women. I shouldn't have married in my early 20s.
Oh~ what should I do?
-From a looser!
bobosbong
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim Mon Apr 21 2008, 06:10

Dear Bong-Gyeong,

Hi-!^^
I was pretty surprised to know that you're thinking about being a writer in English.
Even if I could write a very well-written paper in English, I would never dream of being an English writer as it takes too much time and efforts. But that's just because I find it difficult and sometimes stressful to write something even in Korean. I like your being that ambitious and passionate! Also, I believe you will definitely make your dream come true someday in the near future, considering how enthusiastic you are about it and how hard you are struggling to do so.

As a tip for good writing in English, I suggest you practice writing about any topic everyday. You'd better keep the patterns you usually use and try a few new ones with reference to writing-related books or websites at the same time. Then, get some corrections on your writing from others on line or in person. If you rewrite the same paper over and over after such corrections, you'll be able to improve your writing skills a lot for sure.

Actually, I'd love to help you with the disabled student. But it is so hard to come up with a practical answer as I've faced the same kind of problem with you in teaching. So, why don't we have a discussion about it after class someday?

Don't forget to cheer up anyway. No matter what.. you'll get through better than anyone else, right?Razz

bobosbong wrote:Dear Sam, I have two worries.

One, Sam and everyone could you give me some tips on English writing. I'm most intent on writing nowadays. Although I've got some adive from the books, they were mostly geared towards native speakers. For instance, avoiding cliches might be a good tactic, but I feel using them is safter way rather than trying a totally creative pattern.
How can I create a beautifully-written essay or a book(someday^_^) in English?
Do you think it's even possible to publish a book in Egnlish? or did you ever think about that, yourself becoming a writer or novelist in the Egnlish lg?

Two, I have a disabled student, 34 years old. He doesn't distinguish, /d/,/z/,/s/. He pronounce them all the same. I guess he suffered from polio when he was young. He's been in my class for over 6 months, being so diligent that hardly skips the class. Not only his physical problem, also he's self-centered like an elementary school student. One day when I held a party, he didn't bring snacks for the class, but...ate literally a lot. I sometimes find him annoying, though I shoudn't feel like that as a teacher and service provider: He has a right to take my class....
Hyo-Jin Kim
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han Mon Apr 21 2008, 13:38

First of all, I think everyone has the same problem as you. It seems that someone who likes to compare with others around him/her might feel somthing put off by any reasons. As a matter of fact, all procrastinate their works.
Happily, I confess I am one of them. In my back high school, I was not so interested in some subjects such as physics and chemistry, even though I enjoyed them by the teachers of subjects. My scores of them were not good. In the exam, I was alway putting my preparing for the text off. Thus, I got poor scores. I am terribly sorry myself about what I didn't work hard on it.
But after the time went, I realise that all events which seems terrible to experience would come to me directly, so that here is my solution for your problem or my potential one is that you should face or deal with it without fear. Honestly, there is always something solved by any methods, like organizing it and doing it step by step or asking best friends to help the work be done altogether.

With positive mind in your heart, as a suppoter of yourself, try it out with some time for yourself.
I am not sure I make myself clear to you. If you don't see it, just forget it.
From time to time, it is complicating to me, too.
Good luck,
your Sam

What should I do??

Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty Eun-Mi!

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim Tue Apr 22 2008, 06:11

Dear, Eun-Mi

First of all, I should express my gratefulness to you. I got really impressed by your advice about my problems mentioned above. I could feel your warm heart and get encouraged. So, thanks a lot! Smile

And I am so sad to hear your current trouble. It gets me sadder that I'm not sure if I can help you however I want because your problem is about what I've never experienced.T-T
Just speaking of my opinions, I think you feel that way due to a cycle. There seems to be a certain cycle which includes various ups and downs in mood as well as life and it is impossible for anyone to avoid it. That means nobody can be happy or sad all the time. There are also few who can be full of love toward a man forever, of course. When it comes to the case of a couple in particular, it becomes almost impossible to always keep a happy face and mind, and to stay in deep love just like the first time of a marriage. Therefore, it seems very natural that you feel bored of your marriage, especially considering the fact that you got married earlier than your friends.
But, you know what? I actually envy you. I've lived alone over 5 years since I entered the university. At first, I felt free from everything and was very satisfied. But I got tired of it only in a few years. As I got older, it gave me no pleasure getting into an empty house, having meals alone, doing housechore alone, and feeling lonely. I'm getting envious about married women more and more these days. You're so lucky to have such a great husband who loves you a lot and an adorable baby since there is no doubt that they will be always standing by you. I'd love to find the one for me soon. HaHa~Razz

Can you see how happy you are? There are pros and cons in everything. So, I hope you don't ignore the importance of what you have now.

Kang Eunmi wrote:Dear Sam.
Oh~ what should I do?
-From a looser!

Last edited by Hyo-Jin Kim on Tue Apr 22 2008, 10:06; edited 1 time in total
Hyo-Jin Kim
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han Tue Apr 22 2008, 07:31

Dear want to have charisma,

You seem too tired and rather exhaused. First of all, I am so sorry to hear what you have got in your life in Deagu. I know what your feeling because I was abroad 9 years ago alone without any help. Being alone was scaring to me but as soon as I got there, I made really good friends. Some of them were so kind that they offered me to stay their parents without any payment, but want some help from me some time during the week days.

Anyway, your goal is to be a good teacher. Yes, I think you are doing a great job now because you are participating the course of practial spoken English and teach others in an institution, which I guess.
Because you are tired of your two major tasks in full year, I asked me to reply your problem and here is my reasonable answer.
I don't know you have only two major jobs there. I think You have more there, so you are distracted what you are trying to focus on. Therefore find out what they are. If you have a physical problem, you should take time to exercise. If you have a mental problem, you should find out someone who is able to share with or spend your time making hobbies.

I hope your problems are over sooner or later. I will pray for you and best wishes.
yours, Sam

To speak more specifically, it is a little long story.

What should I do?

Sincerely,

Hyo-Jin
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty Nice to meet you.. ^^

Post  Kyeong-im Wed Apr 23 2008, 21:23

Ji-eun wrote:
Kyeong-im wrote:How eagerly do you want to be a teacher, especially middle and high school?

In my case, since I was a middle school student it has been my entire dream. BUT now.. frankly speaking, i don't know well.

After failure in teacher's exam, I wonder what I want to be. Now, I just teach kindergarten students and 1st/2nd grade elementary school students English. Through this experience I could learn something which I've never learn teacher's college. Compared to preschool education, secondary education is really different one. I think, now I'm learning what education is. general concept.. It's really interesting to hear my students' English saying, "good-bye", "brush your teeth", etc.. Even they are humming in English! When they call me smiling on their face, they hug me, and their mothers send me text-message "My child is really like this English class. Teacher, thank you very much.", I think, it is worth while to keep on this work.

However, because most friends around me want to be/are teachers, sometimes it seems to me that it is the way of failure not to be a real teacher(i mean "real teacher" = pass the teacher's exam). um.. just.. confused.. nowaday...

BUT I have a dream that every children who want to study can do it without financial difficulty. the truth education.. I mean Cham education.(참교육) Someday I will make it. I expect the day and train myself now...

p.s. ; my writing.. it's a little long~ and it seems serious story. If this makes you feel down, I'm sorry. silent I just want to say.. Sometimes telling something gets rid of stress. hahaha... ^______________^;;

Dear. Passionate teacher!

I totally agree with your opinion about how adorable kinder students are! As like you, i am teaching kindergarten students and 1st and 2nd grade of elementry school students in a English kinderten. I have started this job last year and it is my second year. At the first time, i was really frustrated in fornt of so young students. As you know, they didn't know A,B,C at all and they were just baby! But time went by, i could see their improvement and it was really amazing! They were just like sponge which can absorb anything fast! Moreover, whenever they hugged me or kissed me, i felt comfortable. Sometimes, they made some troubles and let me can't do anything, but due to their adorable smile and pure face, i could bear and stay with them. This year, i am in charge of 6 years class and 5 years class. They are more active than last year students, but they also always make me soooo happy.

Of course, i am the one of teacher wanna be. and after finish this M.A class, i will apply the teacher's exam to be a middle or high school teacher. But i always have one wondering same as you. So, i think i can understand you totally.

I'm so sorry that i couldn't make some advice to you. but i just happy to see your thinking because it is really similar with me. ^^ albino

Dear teacher!
Thank you for your writing. I also totally agree with you. ^^ It's very nice to meet someone who has same thinking and is in the similar situation.
In my case, there are 12 books which I have to cover. For 1 year its my duty to learn new exercise, song, dance, etc. or make various materials. every night.. think over and over what I have to do during class.. or how I encourage kinder students to learn English more easily and happily.. Sometimes it's relly stressful.
However, as you said, when I see my students smiling at me it couldn't be better. Besides they are so creative. I was very surprised when I asked them to color letter "A". Adults, they usually color it just using one colored pencil. Kinder students, they use so many colored pencils to color just ONE letter. Amazing!!! Through their behavior I found that, as a teacher, what I shouldn't do is restrict their creative thinking, freedom. Very Happy

If you have time shall we meet ..? I mean.. off-line. I want to hear your teaching experience and learn some skills.. ^^;
Kyeong-im
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty SINCERE teacher.. ^^

Post  Kyeong-im Wed Apr 23 2008, 21:32

Kang Eunmi wrote:I was really happy to read your story.
As you said, there are many people to become teachers because of its beneficial things. What a sad, isn't it?
However, we should be aware of many people also don't trust some teachers as well. People thought teachers are getting changed. Which means, they don't care and ignore students' concerns seriously.
I think you and I including all of us should try to be sincere teachers and show peole our real education!!

Dear sincere teacher
I agree with your opinion. The reason maybe that nowadays most parents and students want to have higher degree. A good teacher (to them) is those who have a lot of knowledge and write application very well. However, as you know well, EDUCATION is beyond that.
OK. Now there are (at least) a few sincere teachers including you, me, and others who have similar thought in our class. Let's do it and make it! Try and try until our dream come true. ^^
Kyeong-im
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty Thank you very much!

Post  Kyeong-im Wed Apr 23 2008, 21:42

Jason Renshaw wrote:
Ji-eun wrote:

Dear. Passionate teacher!

I totally agree with your opinion about how adorable kinder students are! As like you, i am teaching kindergarten students and 1st and 2nd grade of elementry school students in a English kinderten. I have started this job last year and it is my second year. At the first time, i was really frustrated in fornt of so young students. As you know, they didn't know A,B,C at all and they were just baby! But time went by, i could see their improvement and it was really amazing! They were just like sponge which can absorb anything fast! Moreover, whenever they hugged me or kissed me, i felt comfortable. Sometimes, they made some troubles and let me can't do anything, but due to their adorable smile and pure face, i could bear and stay with them. This year, i am in charge of 6 years class and 5 years class. They are more active than last year students, but they also always make me soooo happy.

Of course, i am the one of teacher wanna be. and after finish this M.A class, i will apply the teacher's exam to be a middle or high school teacher. But i always have one wondering same as you. So, i think i can understand you totally.

I'm so sorry that i couldn't make some advice to you. but i just happy to see your thinking because it is really similar with me. ^^ albino

Hi Kyeong-im and Ji-eun,

I was really interested to hear about your kindergarten experiences. I also noticed that Haesol appears to be teaching kindergarten, and perhaps Hyojin as well. It's nice to see so many students in this class involved with early childhood learning. I spent a total of four years teaching kindergarten levels in Korea (though it is some time ago now), so it brings back memories both wonderful and hard.

In my first job in Korea, my contract said I would be teaching teenagers. I was qualified to teach adults, so I thought it wouldn't be too bad. Upon arrival I found I was teaching kids as young as Korean age 4... Unbelievable! I would teach 2 (sometimes 3) kindergarten classes from 1pm, then from 3pm I would teach 7-8 (often more) classes of elementary, middle and high school students. On average, I would end up doing 10-11 classes per day with little more than a 5 minute break between classes, covering Korean ages 4-19... six days a week! Back then I was earning only 1.5 million won per month, can you believe it? And I stuck it out and did it for two years, without any vacation between contracts to return home to Australia for a rest.

Hard as it was, that time really built me as a teacher of young learners. The first six months were a complete nightmare. The kindergarten section of the school was very 'elite' - modern and very flash, but the children were like wild animals. I had no Korean, and no training in teaching very young children. The Korean teachers never assisted us or helped with controlling the classes - in fact, they just vanished the moment it was time for us to teach. So I worked hard on my Korean language skills and did a lot of private research into early childhood development and that sort of thing. By the end of the first year I'd become pretty good at handling kindergarten classes. By the end of the second year, I was what I might call a reasonably capable teacher.

I then switched schools, and my new job involved actually managing a whole kindergarten department on top of teaching in the regular elementary/secondary programs. I was working 12-14 hour days - exhausting!, but I had complete control over the kindergarten program, teachers, materials and curriculum. Together with some other really great teachers, we made an ESL-style kindergarten where the kids used English pretty much all morning. My area of specialization was the first years (Korean age 5), as I had the most experience and by far the best Korean language skills of the foreign faculty. We had an awesome program with the sweetest kids you can imagine (teaching them how to behave appropriately was always our first priority - because without any order or structure you are very limited in terms of how much learning can happen), and to be honest the two years I spent there were some of my fondest times in this country. Those kids became so good at English, but they also became very nice, well-behaved little people.

It's funny, because several years later I sometimes run into my old kindergarten students - the ones I first taught as five year-olds. Now they're in late elementary school. It's a very special feeling when they (and their parents) remember you, and look so happy to see you. Unfortunately, for many of them the stress of Korean elementary school years, and rather moronic private language institute programs, have hurt their progression and motivation with the language. They are actually far worse at English now than they were when they were 5 or 6. That makes me rather angry, actually... What a waste.

In any case, I have four years full-on experience with Korean kindergarten learners, and a site full of resources that can be used with these age groups. If you ever need any ideas or materials, just let me know!

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Dear professor
Thank you very much. "nightmare" and "wild animal".. wow~! Actually, they are. ^^;; Last week, I shouted at them(kinder students) because they didn't concenrate on class and even it seemed that they ignored me. At first time, I thought that I was too strict to my students when I saw their depressed appearence. HOWEVER !! just a few minutes!! They played well as if they had forgotten what I said. so funny and interesting... ^^;;
Anyway if I have some problem I let you know. haha..
Kyeong-im
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty step by step..

Post  Kyeong-im Wed Apr 23 2008, 22:08

Ji-eun wrote:Glad to meet you, Sam! I am a troubled girl. I'm second grade of M.A. study and this is my third semester! And since i started this study, i always have some worries about me and my future, 'cause there is nothing clear for my future, yet. After finish this study, i will apply for TEACHER's exam. I have only one years and half for this exam and it means i have to prepare for passing it. As you know, the competitive rate of this exam is getting higher and it is getting more hard to pass it and become a teacher. So i know i have to study and prepare a lot, but the problem is i don't know exactly what shall i do!! Is it right to start to study of Pedegogy now? of study just English? or what kind of study is sutiable for this time for me? I don't have any knowledge of Pedagody and my Enlgish is not good, neither. I have lots of thinkings just like i will do something blabla~ but actually i don't know what is good for me right now.

During my first year, i didn't study at all. Of course i know it's my excuse, but actually i don't have much time to invest for myself. Until now, i work from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm at English kindergarten, and after work, i go to school three time a week, so i come back home around 9:00 pm. (just like other classmates, here.^^) And I am a self-boarding student, i do some cleanings for my house, too. Of course i sincirely want to do my best for school and homework, but sometimes, i just exhasted after finish all i do. It's a kind of contracition. I came here to STUDY but during one year, i didn't study at all and just worked to make money for intuition fee, so this problem always bothers me a lot, like this, "Why did you come here? Why did you start to study M.A course? Did you forget the real reason? "

The point is that i don't want to regret anymore. The last year is enough for me to regret. So i want to live more zealously and for myself! and I want to study for me and for my teacher's exam. Whenever i go to the bookstore, there are lots of books for English, English education or pedagogy, but i can't choose books and i don't know how do i start to stdy.

Dear Sam! Please HLEP ME! What can i do for my English or preparing for my future? I will wait for your help. Sad

Dear girl
Although I'm not sure whether I'm qualified person to say something I just want to tell you about my experience.
In pedagogy, it's good to start now. In my case, I had learned pedagogy from "Gu Pyeong-hoi" 2 years. I took the lesson 4 times. At first I also didn't have any idea or knowledge about pedagogy so that it was really stressful and I didn't grasp anything. just I thought .. "wow.. it's pedagogy....." At 3rd time, I understood something and 4th time, I could make outline and understand detail things. The scope of pedagogy is sooooooo wide. It's important to understand its principles. Based on principles you can interpret whatever examiners say.
In English, the major.. As the system of teachers' exam is changed in this year, we maybe prepare something in different ways. 4 skills might be important. I heard that there are basic textbooks which you have to study. PLLT(we did it through professor Bae's class), AMLT, TPLT, TBP, Grammar books/students grammar, Linguistics for non-linguists, Syntax and argumention and so on.

Well.. In English as well as pedagogy, however, the most important thing is confidence that you can do it and keeping study. Besides, please take care of yourself.. Without health, you can't do anything. I hope you and I make it!! Good luck!! ^^
Kyeong-im
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty ideas...

Post  Liz Thu Apr 24 2008, 08:33

My students just finished their mid-term exam and they're going to go to school trip next week. So, this week I'm going to show them a video or soap opera. Do you have anything in your mind? I can't think of anything. Please help me.

I'm currently teaching school discretion class. So far, I did Sudoku, Kokuro, Crossword, Logic Puzzle, Making Name Card, Coloring Mandala, Mystery Riddle, Auction on Value. Now, I ran out of ideas. If you have any idea, please suggest.
Liz
Liz
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life... - Page 5 Empty Sam solution ^^

Post  Boyun Park Thu Apr 24 2008, 08:59

Lee Hye Jin wrote:I think I am a badly organized person. I want to do things as planned and I want to keep my belongings as the way they were. I always forget the place where I put my belongings or document. It always happens. I don't want to waste my time to find things any more.

And I really like to learn or do something new and I easily fall into something. However, it doesn't go long. I easily get bored with things I sarted with passion. That is my problem too. Once I was so into how to bake cookies and cakes, which didn't go long. And then I started to learn balloon art, and I started to watch videos related to that on the Internet . Now I really fell into cooking. I know this passion doesn't go long. What am I supposed to do? I really want to stick to one thing I really like.

I also had a similar problem as you .Very Happy I myself haven't got it over completely yet ^^; but got better and still working on it! Exclamation This is how I tried. The key is taking a note.( I think someone else also suggested this solution, too.) I write down things I want to try out or things I'm interested in. Then, one by one, I cross out the ones that I've actually tried and have done.(It takes quite time to finish one thing completely.) I promise myself I'll let this activity(things that I've tried) put into action .Smile That means if I learn about gift packing, I will give someone a present with my packing. It will encourage you to keep or finish one thing. (You won't want to give someone a present with awkward packing .Wink ) Also you'll be satisfied with what you've done and eventually you'll be able to master or be good at things you're interested in. I love you Hope this solution will be helpful to you~~ sunny

ps) I've always wanted to learn baking^^, maybe we can try together sometime??cheers
Boyun Park
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next