English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jounal entry 1-Tuesday incident

+3
Kanghoon Jang
Hyun a Ji
Inkab
7 posters

Go down

Jounal entry 1-Tuesday incident Empty Jounal entry 1-Tuesday incident

Post  Inkab Thu Apr 03 2008, 22:12

journal 1-Tuesday Incident

It happened again. I almost forgot that I used to have trouble with expressing ideas in public, especially when it is not well prepared. I don’t think it is the stage fear or anything like that, because I am good at singing in front of people. This kind of incomplete presenting of ideas seems to repeat itself. Today I would like to give chase to the cause of my pathetic inability.

On the second year of the middle school, I participated in an in-school Korean speech contest. As a representative of our class, my burden was heavy, but still I felt competent because the teacher and classmates supported me a lot. The topic for the speech was ‘the person who I admire most’ and my subject matter was Baek Bum, Kim Gu. During others’ speeches, I continued to practice not forgetting what I had memorized. The requirement did not say that candidates should memorize the content, but I did that because it was considered necessary to have eye contacts with students. I believed those eye contacts would draw more attention from students as well as deliver my opinion in a very persuasive way.

The problem, unfortunately, was there. In the middle of my speech I totally forgot the next line; even worse, I squatted on the floor with such hopeless embarrassment. Students began to make noises. After a long second of pause, I barely gave a second try, searching through the manuscript to find out the lost part. Luckily, it went smoothly without any problem. Despite the huge mistake, however, I won the second prize in the contest. One of the examiners told me they had trouble choosing the first prize, since my presentation was highly impressive but the mistake was regarded serious. Next year, I attended the English speech contest and made a similar mistake, but this time not squatting but covering the mouth with the hand. Though, the result was not bad either.

I guess my poor presentation skill started from here. The fact that I got prizes from defective performances seems to give me a kind of sense that it is acceptable to make a few mistakes as long as I am competent. Now I have to admit that so much generosity on my shortcomings boomerangs on me that sometimes I feel lack of confidence in myself. I used to believe I am not poor at presenting ideas, but its just I didn’t pay much attention to it. Blundering mistakes by a grown-up, however, would not elicit people’s appreciation, especially in a professional field. I am afraid my poor presentation skills would bring a deadlock to my future career.

Before I write this essay, I guessed the Tuesday INCIDENT happened due to my overwhelming desire to show a perfect outcome. That desire might unconsciously work on my nerve; in the end, my brain blanked out. Yet, in more deep level I found I have been too accustomed to forgiving and ignoring my weaknesses. What I need more is better professional trainings. Through the next two years of education, I hope I can overcome my shortcomings and brush up the expressing skills in order to be a professional teacher who can offer students quality education in the future.

Last edited by Inkab on Sun Apr 06 2008, 19:43; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to remove spaces between paragraphs)
Inkab
Inkab
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Jounal entry 1-Tuesday incident Empty Don't worry too much.

Post  Hyun a Ji Fri Apr 04 2008, 06:09

I think most of people have this kinds of problem.
I also had horrible experiences in my school life.
However you can overcome after you did teachers practicum.
Hyun a Ji
Hyun a Ji
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Jounal entry 1-Tuesday incident Empty Re: Jounal entry 1-Tuesday incident

Post  Kanghoon Jang Fri Apr 04 2008, 06:09

Practice make us perfect!
I think that it is a good thing that you already knew what kind of problems you have, which mean that you would get through with your confidences. One of my freinds coming from Germany said that Kanghoon, you need self-esteem when you make a presentation in front of many people. Before talking to other people whether you are nervous or not, they never notice about that. Plus, she wants me to try to stand up and say loudly as much as I can because it makes other people impressed about your presentations.

Thanks to her, I could cope my situations like you. That is why, I totally understand how you felt when you did in front of us. I hope that you always say yourself that I can do this job as much as you can before doing that. I think it makes you a better person.. Razz

Best wishes,

Kanghoon
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Younghee choi Fri Apr 04 2008, 20:48

I absolutely understand how you felt when the incident happened because I had similar experience like yours.
I am rarely nervous when I teach class even with more than 100 students. I had taught nearly 150 students in a class a few years ago.
But I tremble and make mistakes whenever I give a presentation even to a small number of students.
I think the difference comes from the different audience.
As for me, this strange presentation fright was never to be cured.
I would face the same problem if I were you.

We all know how competent you are.
Don't be concerned about that. Just shrug it off.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Ko, Min-Jung Sat Apr 05 2008, 08:09

Everybody has a fear of standing in front of others. It's not only your problem. You are already a very competent person in general. So, don't worry and just relax and show off your talent.

By the way, when can we hear your singing?.. maybe in the classroom...?
Ko, Min-Jung
Ko, Min-Jung
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Sun Apr 06 2008, 19:36

I still have fear of presentation in public.
I didn't have lots of chance to have presentation in public. I hate that.
However, during last year, I had over 10 English presentations taking discussion and conversation classes in KNU. That helped me to be used to presentation, but not enough. I totally understand you.
You are good at singing though. I will look forward to listening to your singing.
Young
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw Sun Apr 06 2008, 19:41

Young wrote:I still have fear of presentation in public.
I didn't have lots of chance to have presentation in public. I hate that.
However, during last year, I had over 10 English presentations taking discussion and conversation classes in KNU. That helped me to be used to presentation, but not enough. I totally understand you.
You are good at singing though. I will look forward to listening to your singing.

It looks like the end of the spring term could call for a trip to a Norae-bang after some dinner. Then we can see Inkab's skill truly shine!

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down