English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jounal entry 2-Philadelphia-The City of Brotherly Love

+2
Jung namsook
Inkab
6 posters

Go down

Jounal entry 2-Philadelphia-The City of Brotherly Love Empty Jounal entry 2-Philadelphia-The City of Brotherly Love

Post  Inkab Sun Apr 06 2008, 23:30

Journal 2 Philadelphia- The city of brotherly love

First of all, I have to confess that Min-Jung’s second journal regarding Russia inspired me to write this essay about the city of Philadelphia. Upon graduation from the university, I flew to the USA for I was eager to study English and have new experiences. Staying there around for two years, I really enjoyed the city’s spiritual, cultural and historical inheritances, so today I would like to introduce this city to others.

Philadelphia is the ‘City of brotherly love’. It implies such significant meanings especially to
foreigners or minorities who are left out from the main streams of the American society. The motto underlying is based on philanthropic viewpoint towards human beings; that is, it regards all the differences as diversities and varieties not as discrepancies. Therefore, this city is very open to people from foreign countries especially from Eastern Asian country, African American people and homosexuals.There has been an annual parade for gays and lesbians, and for the celebration of this event, the police blocked some designated areas in order to ensure all participants’ safety. Moreover, on the historical aspect, Pennsylvania states where Philadelphia is included had been purchased from native Indians, unlike other states in USA which were taken away from the natives. This also shows this city is the symbol of love, equality and open mind.

Philadelphia is a fascinating city in terms of such beautiful historical, cultural sites that create marvelous flavors on modernized atmosphere. Since this city was the 3rd capital of the USA a hundred years ago, the city center is full of long-standing structures, such as the independence hall, art museum, Philadelphia music hall etc. Along with these buildings, beautiful nature, like a river running through the heart of the city makes an appeal to stranger’s mind. Moreover, the mixtures of the olds and news seem to draw all attention of movie directors, so that you can see lots of films taken in this city, for instance ‘Philadelphia’, ‘six sense’, ‘up-close-final’, and ‘rocky’ etc. I have watched all these movie with enthusiasm, trying to figure out which parts of the city have been shown onto the screen.

Nevertheless, I am a bit hesitating to recommend you to live or study in this city. First of all, the public transportation system is horrible, for it has not been much changed since I was built in 100 years ago. Smelling urine from the entrance of the subway station is not pleasant experience. Moreover, except center city district, many areas, in particular, if you go further up to the Broad Street, they just looks worse than a harlem in India. It is not uncommon to listen to the news as to homicides even near the world famous university UPENN. Lots of homeless people, disgusting hookers on the streets late at night may hinder your decision to stay in this city.

Philadelphia is only one to one and a half hours apart from Washington D.C. and New York city by car. Although this city provides unsanitary or less entertaining environment than the other two cities, due to cheap living expenses, many people tend to choose this city for their stay or study. However, after several years of staying in the city, they usually find themselves indulge into the city’s attraction which embraces high spirits and plentiful legacies. I would like to visit there again sooner or later.

Last edited by Inkab on Mon Apr 07 2008, 20:53; edited 1 time in total
Inkab
Inkab
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Jounal entry 2-Philadelphia-The City of Brotherly Love Empty Wonderful Journal! I love it!

Post  Jung namsook Mon Apr 07 2008, 07:46

It's so wonderful to stay and enjoy so lovely culture that you could build up your driving force going on your life. I'm so jealous of your valuable experience. I also feel like visiting Philadelphia. Your so intimate guide for the city will be likely to be the local guide in staying. The city just reminds me of the movie, but for the remainder of the time I'll have one more thing, the city, InKab's used to reside. I'm very positive about living in a foreign country in a younger days. I'm brainwashing my husband into thinking advantages for working in other countries. There are so many benefits although we would be going though unprecedented challenges. I think it's beautiful experience in young couples, though. In reading your journal, I would like to travel to Philadelphia and visit Washington D.C. and New York, too. I do need to come and fly away to feel some exotic right now.

Have a great day.

Namsook

p.s.
When shall we eat lunch at faculty restaurant and have a talk again?
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Jounal entry 2-Philadelphia-The City of Brotherly Love Empty Re: Jounal entry 2-Philadelphia-The City of Brotherly Love

Post  Inkab Mon Apr 07 2008, 20:44

Today I also went to the faculty restaurant expecting to meet you and young by any chance.
I usually have lunch there on Monday and Wednesday, so then we can make an appointment for those days. Let's talk about this tomorrow. See you~~
Inkab
Inkab
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Jounal entry 2-Philadelphia-The City of Brotherly Love Empty Re: Jounal entry 2-Philadelphia-The City of Brotherly Love

Post  Younghee choi Mon Apr 07 2008, 21:41

Your guide to the city is very authentic and trustworthy as opposed to the exaggerated description of a city we usually find in a cityguide book.
Your well-written journal seems to drive me to visit the city some day.
In order to realize my dream to visit America, I wish I could become a teacher by any means so that I can have time to spend the whole vacation there.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Tue Apr 08 2008, 13:29

Hi!! sister Ingab

I enjoyed your story. Philadelphia reminds me of the movie 'Philadelphia' and gays.
Actually, I am strongly against homosexual people, Philadelphia doesn't sound good to me. However, I came to know about other things about Philadelphia. If I have a chance, I'd like to go.

I and sister Namsook went to the faculty restaurant today. We usually go there after 12:30 because we look so young. Razz Whenever we go there for lunch bofore 12:30, the manager is angry at us.
Young
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kanghoon Jang Tue Apr 08 2008, 16:03

you really remind me of my lovely sister studying there until next year. I am really familiar with that city because my sister always say that when she calls me. She call that city Philly even though I don't know why.

I would visit that city for graduation of my sister with my parent if I get a job this year. That is why my priority is to get a job now! Honestly, I miss my sister too much. There is no questions about family.

You remind me of that again! thank you inkab!

Sincerely,

Kanghoon
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Jounal entry 2-Philadelphia-The City of Brotherly Love Empty I wanna go...

Post  Hyun a Ji Wed Apr 09 2008, 04:22

I wanna go Philadelphia. One of my friends has been Newbrunswic in America. She wants I go to America. If I go to America, I will visit Philadelphia because of your journal. Smile Your journal impressed me. Even if there are a little horrible like halem, I really want to go there.
Hyun a Ji
Hyun a Ji
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down