English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journal 4 - What does English mean to you?

4 posters

Go down

Journal 4 - What does English mean to you? Empty Journal 4 - What does English mean to you?

Post  Seyoung Yoon Sun Jun 08 2008, 19:29

What is the significance of Englsih for you? Why are you trying to learn English? Have you ever thought about this topic since the time you started to learn English? Actually till now I just have learned English without any doubt of the reason why I should learn this language. Naturally I learned it from middle school as one of the subjects which took great importance in total grade. English was bening essential subject. Teachers and parents said llike that, thus I simply believed their words.

I wasn't curious about the origin of need to learn English. Though there are lots of other languages to learn except for English, I choosed English as my second language like as others did. When I first met English, I was just nine years old. It couldn't be possible for a kid to consider the need of English. Maybe almost everyone would be the same. If I ask them why they learn English, then they simply put the answer. "Because you know, it's international language." Yes. The answer could be much more simple than I thought. Then what does it serve for you? Do you learn English to get a good job, or to raise your salary?

As for me, English is something special. I'd like to give it that sorts of meaning at least. When I was middle school, my English was really bad. Prabably no one imagined that I would major in English education. Even me, I expected nothing that something related to English would take some part of my life. I hated English, I loved Korean. However my life was totally changed after I joined a circle called AFAED-Assembly For Advanced English Discussion. (Maybe it doesn't make sense to you why I joined the club, although I hated English. Honestly, neither do I.) In the circle, I learned a lot more than English. I learned a group life, relationship with seniors and juniors, the feeling of achievement which I can make a play and lead a discussion in English and the enjoyment of understanding with foreigners. Simply put, the circle totally changed my life. It have made my live be involved deeply into English from that time on.

Thus for me, English is the one which changed my life. If I didn't know the marvelous life with English, I would be a different person from whom I am now. Thanks to English, I could have confidence, and find my hidden ability. I think English as the method which will open my future. I don't know the direction where it will lead. I'm little bit excited and expected to my future with English. Perhaps, I cannot throw it away if I won't be English teacher. In whatever field, I will be the professional who have excellent English ability.
Seyoung Yoon
Seyoung Yoon
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Journal 4 - What does English mean to you? Empty Re: Journal 4 - What does English mean to you?

Post  Kanghoon Jang Mon Jun 09 2008, 09:33

If there is not English, I would feel nothing and lose my life. I don't usually think about it in that way. 4 years ago, I was one of the people who really hate English. However, thanks to my sister, I have totally changed my life. Plus, I have been to Japan to experience unexpected situations which made me love English again. Well, I am not a perfect English user like native speakers but no one doubt my love of English. Sometimes, I don't really understand why people hate English. HAHAHAHA..

Sincerely,

Kanghoon
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Journal 4 - What does English mean to you? Empty Re: Journal 4 - What does English mean to you?

Post  Younghee choi Mon Jun 09 2008, 10:33

Every student in Korea is supposed to study English whether they like it or not.
They study English to get a good score in English subject and to enter a prestigious college.
My start was like that.
However, since I lived in the States, my attitude about learning English has changed.
I found English was a just medium to get to know other people.
Having knowledge in English broadened the door to meet a new world.
I believe it might be a teacher's role to motivate students to enjoy learning English in order to improve their English skills.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyun a Ji Mon Jun 09 2008, 15:40

I wanted to write journal like yours. I also thought why I learn English. For me, English also gave me lots of good chances to make good memory. Very Happy By the way, I don't believe you hated English before. Because your grammatical ability is good and clear in your essay.
Hyun a Ji
Hyun a Ji
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down