English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journal 6: A smile says it all

3 posters

Go down

Journal 6: A smile says it all Empty Journal 6: A smile says it all

Post  Jung namsook Sun Jun 08 2008, 20:35

In the article, “Courtesy: Key to a Happy World, Dr. Peale shows his very strong beliefs that the world would be a better place if people were more courteous to each other. He classifies three components of courtesy. An essential ingredient of courtesy is a willingness to act when you find someone in need. Next, he emphasizes that we try to understand people as if they were in your shoes. Then, he claims that we should impartially respect people, for we are all equal. Good manners is treating other people in the way we expect to be treated. Moreover, Courtesy costs nothing and profits everybody.

Although we know this Golden Rule, we tend to less connect courteous behavior with the quality of life. However, our success all comes down to how you regard people. These days, lack of respect in personal relationships is at the root of a national sickness. There is low morale among people in almost every profession from the police to teachers, farmers, nurses and civil servants. In addition, many of students are graduating from school with academic awards, but few social graces. There is an epidemic of loneliness because we are in a mood of ‘me-centered misery’. I think one small beatitude starts at the point of your accepting and respecting other people.

When do you think we need to regard people most? I guess it’s the time as we are driving. I do not think traffic is just cars, lorries, bikes and buses clogging up our roads. Look carefully and you will see that they contain mothers and fathers, children, grandmothers, grandfathers and even pets. I believe that courtesy could prevent hundreds of accidents we face every year. Traffic is not just metal, glass and rubber that get damaged, and even written off, but people. Safety on the road is unquestionably linked with courtesy. Traffic is people, and people are vulnerable to mistakes. It costs nothing to be polite, and it could prevent untold pain and distress.

Good neighbors are an asset. The computer and e-mail are fine, but they cannot replace face-to-face communications between neighbors. I define a good neighbor as someone who cares about me, and I care about them. It is a two-way street. Good neighbors are reassuring. One of the things I enjoy my neighborhood is that the social environment here reminds me of the village life in the countryside, where neighbors know and help each other, My neighbors develop relationships with others, and the result is that they can depend on one another. I conclude that a good neighbor is willing to act, to defend and strengthen common values and accepted standards.

I truly believe that we do need some campaign for courtesy. The campaign should exist to encourage those who value good manners and to assess continually what courtesy means in a rapidly changing world. I claim that even a small advance in courtesy would make a society more productive, healthier and happier. All in all, we have to emphasize the importance of courtesy in all our relationships, as a vital ingredient of good health and a successful lifestyle. I am sure of courtesy to be fundamental to our life.
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Journal 6: A smile says it all Empty Re: Journal 6: A smile says it all

Post  Younghee choi Sun Jun 08 2008, 22:17

Courtesy is a great virtue that we should keep in mind.
Especially your lesson should be told to young generation.
These days, I find teaching young students hard and challenging.
Some of them are very rude to other students and even to a teacher.
They tend to be self-centered and never pay attention to others who are in need.
They are interested in their own profit.
Reading your journal, I could look back on my behavior as well.
I'm trying to be nice to others and give way to others when driving. but I doubt I am active enough to act first.
Thanks for your dedicated journal.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sera Jung Mon Jun 09 2008, 14:37

Your writing reminds me of what I have forgot so long .'Courtesy costs nothing and profits everybody' is very impressive and it makes me feel embarassed as I am not doing any courteous behaviors to others. Your story makes my heart warm though I feel anxious for the final exams I love you
Thanks
Sera Jung
Sera Jung
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down