English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP8] Balanced and Integrated teaching approaches.

2 posters

Go down

[OP8] Balanced and Integrated teaching approaches. Empty [OP8] Balanced and Integrated teaching approaches.

Post  HyejinJeon Mon Jun 09 2008, 19:14

To date, most of the English language instruction carried out in public schools has been oriented around reading and grammar skills. How do you think the next generation of teachers in Korea could ensure that teaching approaches incorporate a more even balance (and integration) of skills?

During my practicum, I was surprised at using English in class. In addition, there were various activities. In my teens, my English teachers didn't use English and taught us by a traditional method. We didn't be accustomed to speaking out, while girls who I saw didnt' be afraid of using English. Of course, even if some were not willing to speak out, overall participation was good. Although the teacher and students prepared speaking English for an open class attended by a principal and many teachers, I saw some changes in English in Korean public school. However, that's not enough. Here are two way that enable teaching approaches to incorporate a more even balance of skills.

First of all, teachers try to encourage students to speak out and try to do everything. Comparing with reading and grammar, most students might be not confident of speaking and writing. Therefore, teachers promote speaking activities more. For example, if students take a grammar class, a teacher aske them to use it, make a sentence, and speak it out. Like this, one thing of what they learn can be used in various way. In class at Kyungpook girl's high school, I watch a teacher try to use various methods. Students learned about the expression about fire, and he asked them to listent to audio clip related to fire, have a presentation (writing), and converse with a partner. There were 3 skills. It was very nice class.

Secondly, the assessment system is needed to be changed. Now, student's English ability in school is judged by only reading test. Actually, TOEIC was changed because it consists of reading and listening tests. Although some people get a very high score, they can't converse in English. Therefore, speaking and writing tests are added to TOEIC. After the assessment system is changed, student's skills can be evaluated correctly, and the more blance of skills can be formed.

To sum up, I think that Korean English education in a public shcool is being changed positively. For students to be more competitive and have a blanced skills, it is needed using what to learn in various ways and the change of assessment system .
HyejinJeon
HyejinJeon
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP8] Balanced and Integrated teaching approaches. Empty Re: [OP8] Balanced and Integrated teaching approaches.

Post  Ju-mi,Im Mon Jun 09 2008, 19:56

Assessment system is what I didn’t think.
If English test in school is focused on various skills, naturally English teaching and learning include them.
However it’s a pity to use “assessment” for effective results.
Ju-mi,Im
Ju-mi,Im
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down