English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Journal Entry] Is Korean teachers' salary truly the world's highest?

+3
Younghee choi
Inkab
Jongwoo
7 posters

Go down

[Journal Entry] Is Korean teachers' salary truly the world's highest? Empty [Journal Entry] Is Korean teachers' salary truly the world's highest?

Post  Jongwoo Tue Apr 01 2008, 19:10

Last week or so, I read a news article on a resent survey by Korean Development Institute. The survey was basically a comparative research on teachers' salary of different nations that consist of Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. According to the survey, Korean teachers receive relatively the largest amount of money considering our country's gross domesitic product. This, of course, is a total nonsense, as every Korean teacher with the same teaching years gets the same amount of money regardless of their skills or expertise. Moreover, Korean teachers' salary is not affected whether they teach at public school or private school. If these factors had been considered, the research must have reached totally different conclusion. In their first year, Korean high school teachers get paid about 1,700,000 won a month, and no one would call this the world's highest salary.

It is true that one of the reasons I want to become a teacher is money. With the current rate, however, I as a teacher would barely support my future family, and my prospective wife might be compelled to get a job to make a sufficient living. The most important reason for becoming a teacher is not money, but the sense of achievement that the job entails. Teaching is an opportunity to dedicate myself to improving other people's lives. I will be influencing young students in one way or another. Obviously. the responsibilities are heavy, but highly rewarding when accomplished. Essentially, teaching is a profession that will never bring me fortune, but with my best efforts it can make my life worthwhile. For this reason, KDI's survey irritates me. Based on faulty data, it is intended to make Korean teachers look overpaid sluggards.

As the time passes by, teachers seem to lose respect. Until fairly recently, Korean teachers had been higly respected, having authority only matched with that of king and father. These days, they have become merely an object of mockery. Their genuine affection toward students and professional capacity are constantly questioned by the general public. A recent survey by Korean Education Development Institute shows that even teachers themselves have low self-esteem about their teaching career: 48% of the respondants consider their job "non-professional". It is undeniable that there are some unqualified teachers out there. There will come a time that I will be a teacher myself, and when the time comes, I will do my best to earn the respect once considered proper for any teacher.
Jongwoo
Jongwoo
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Journal Entry] Is Korean teachers' salary truly the world's highest? Empty Re: [Journal Entry] Is Korean teachers' salary truly the world's highest?

Post  Inkab Tue Apr 01 2008, 20:26

Your arguement is very persuasive, and I totally agree with you.
The reason I started my education again at this late age is not only for money, but certainly low payment without getting any respect for teacher's individual capabilty will discourage our passion and affection towards the job.Then it's time to think about how we have to deal with this problem, and at the same time, goverment's inconsiderate announcement which distorts the reality of teachers' situation.
Inkab
Inkab
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Journal Entry] Is Korean teachers' salary truly the world's highest? Empty Re: [Journal Entry] Is Korean teachers' salary truly the world's highest?

Post  Younghee choi Tue Apr 01 2008, 22:12

I don't agree that Korean teachers get the highest salary in the world.
But it is true that their salary has increased over the last few years.
However, considering the working hours and excessive work load laden to them accompanied by the salary increase, it is absolutely nonsense.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

[Journal Entry] Is Korean teachers' salary truly the world's highest? Empty well,

Post  Kanghoon Jang Thu Apr 03 2008, 20:33

I think that teacher is one of the respectful jobs, which mean that there are many sacrifices and efforts for students. Of course, it is matter money because we have to live in our life. Especially as men, we have another burden to support our family. That is why, I think that you need to consider concerning that. There are many ways to deal with them.

Definitely, that survey would be wrong and could affect other people who want to become teachers in bad ways. The thing is that media like newspapers, news tends to manipulate the truth for some reasons. Don't think about that anymore. I hope that you just go on your own ways despite those things.

I don't know who you are. However, based on my experiences of classes, you can figure it out successfully because I can feel how great you are in your field!
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

[Journal Entry] Is Korean teachers' salary truly the world's highest? Empty I also read that article.

Post  HyejinJeon Thu Apr 03 2008, 21:05

I also read that article. In Korea, it is banned by law that teacher has another job for money. That's whay teacher receives salary in long vacation. If it were not banned, most parents would give teacher money to know very secret information, such as the pattern of test or answers. It is unrealistic, but it can happen.

Teaching is very hard because there are many students in a class in Korea. Teacher has lots of problems to control them. Also teachers have not only teaching but also administrative duties. In Korea, because high school students study late in shcool, teacher have to take care of them. So, some teachers work 10 p.m.

I read an article about a teacher's death. He died because of overwork. He was a third year class teacher for 8 years. How a sad death!
Before people argue Korean teacher's salary is very high, it is more urgent to make work environment better. For teachers, and for students!
HyejinJeon
HyejinJeon
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Eunsil Mon Apr 07 2008, 17:03

As a student of Education Department, I also read the article.

Well, of course money is important, but teaching is more than that as you said up there.
I think salary of teachers is appropriate curently.
Actually those things such as salary, and authority is important factor of attracting more suitable students for teacher. So, we can't say that's not really important.
Eunsil
Eunsil
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Tue Apr 29 2008, 04:34

I think the survey must be wrong. Teachers' (in public school) salary is not that high compared to that of those who are working in big company like Samsung or lawyer and doctor. However, considering the term they work, that's not bad.
Personally, for male teachers, the salary is a little low, but for female teachers the salary is reasonable because usually men have duty to support their family. That's why there are few male teachers in public school.
Young
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down