English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twisty-turny story : May 22, 2008

Go down

Twisty-turny story : May 22, 2008 Empty Twisty-turny story : May 22, 2008

Post  kim young-ah Sat May 24 2008, 23:41

Written by Kim eun-jung, Kim bo-yeun, Kim hyun-jin, Cha yoo-bin, Park mi-hyun and Bae sung-han. Edited by Kim young-ah.^^

- Comparing with the past English education.....

Hi!~ It's the year 2015. I am a Korean student and I have just graduated from high school. I really have to say that I feel very proud of and confident in my English proficiency. I am not a special student. I'm average. But almost all "average" students in Korea these days like English and can use it well. That's because English education in Korean public schools is very different now compared to 10 years ago....

First, in usual English class, a qualified English teacher teaches less than ten students at a time. The reduced class size is the crucial reason for students' improved proficiency. In class with less than ten students, we can conduct a lot of interactive activities, and we have many opportunities to speak. Sometimes we can debate on a controversial issue, and we can play some games as well.

Second, in every class, students can have a chance to present their opinions in front of the other students. Thanks to these classes, all the students can improve public speech styles as well as their English abilities. Moreover, on Saturdays, the debate class takes place, so they can discuss some topic, and the most impressive student can win a prize. As a result, students are motivated and look forward to joinging the contest!

Thirdly, there is "English Zone", what we call, in my school. In that area, we have to speak only English. Like this, there are "Japanese Zone" and "Chinese Zone" as well. During the English class, we should stay in that place. If we speak Korean in the English Zone, my MICROCHIP under my name card that I am wearing is lightened/turned on, and then I'll lose my point. This is a kind of punishment. If I gather many good points, I will get a prize at the end of that course.

Fourth, in 2008 the President Lee myung-bak established many schools and hired many English teachers with a view to improvement students' English abilities. He kept the private English tutors from extension. All has influenced students who live in 2015. They can have classes which are full of English teachers with high level/skills.

Fifth, we have totally different text books from the previous ones. They are all written in English, no Korean at all. Books are designed to improve four skills balanced ; listening, speaking, reading and writing.

Last, I would like to say another reason. Students can go home after class around at 4 o'clock, taking a lot of homework which they must do for themselves and bring back to their teachers to be checked. Students must hand in their essay once a week, which is written in Enlgish only, in total 5~7 pages. They cannot avoid their homework because if they do avoid, they will fail in the course. As time goes on, students feel it get easier to use English and do their hard homework.

Thank you very much for reading our opinions.
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down