English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twisty Turny Story

Go down

Twisty Turny Story Empty Twisty Turny Story

Post  bakbann Wed May 28 2008, 11:01

Joo Un-jin, anonymous writer, Kim Ji Young, Kim Eun-jung, Kim Bo-yeun, Kim Hyun-jin, Yoobin Cha

Hi! It's the year 2015. I'm a Korean student and I have just graduated from high school. I really have to say that I feel so proud of and confident in my English proficiency! I am not a special student. I'm average. But almost all "average" students in Korea these days like English and can use it well. That's because English education in Korean public schools is very different now compared to 10 years ago.

First, all the English classes are conducted only in English. Teachers used to taught English in Korean. Rumor has it that it was highly controversial when it was first introduced. However, TEE enabled students feel familiar with English by exposing them to English at the very beginning of their English education. Take my case, I not only listen solely English during classes, but also speak in English like whenever I ask questions. Thanks to TEE, I feel free to listen and speak in English.

Second, the materials we use nowadays in English class are authentic, well-organized, and fun. It is totally different from the ones used 10 years ago. I happened to see an old English textbook and I couldn't believe my eyes. The textbook was so boring in terms of the content and organization and English there was not authentic at all. These days, we use very genuine materials during classes. To be specific, there is no one fixed textbook, but we deal with various kinds of fun materials. For example, in reading classes, we read newspaper articles, some chapters from best-selling thrillers or funny advertisements. Consequently, high quality material improved not only students' interests and motivation but also their English proficiency.

Third, English teachers make the best use of the Internet during classes. The Internet sites are not the same as those ones ten years ago. They are international web sites where students from different countries all over the world can communicate each other. We can exchange ideas on a certain matter, get information and share useful learning materials. Teachers use these sites to help students. Students need to participate in this forum actively as an assignment, and sometimes we visit these web sites during English class. Therefore, interactive Internet forum improved students' English.

Moreover, schools provide more opportunities to speak English outside classrooms. For instance, each school actively operates exchange program. Moreover, school organize meetings between Korean students and foreign students who speak English. Once a week, Korean students help exchange students with speaking Korean. Thanks to this program, both students get to know each other and their culture and language easily and well. For those who don't have exchange students to help, school encourages to take advantage of web sites designed for helping foreigners who are interested in Korea. To sum up, students can practice English while helping foreigners learn about Korea.

Also, there's no grade in our English classes. That is, students are divided into 8 levels, depending on their English abilities not age. Thus, there are various graders mixing together in one class. It's a big change compared to the situation 10 years ago. Students, in the past, with different levels of English studied all together only because they are in the same grade. Current system might sound weird to them. However, nobody cares about age at least during English classes. I firmly believe that this is not only an efficient way to learn but also a great motivation for students.

Last but not least, schools provide easier access to culture of English speaking countries to help English learning. Moreover, teachers help students understand its culture. For example, we often watch global news video or American popular TV series or movies during the class. There is no doubt that second language acquisition is also a second culture learning. Knowledge and interests about its culture lead students to better second language learning. In my case, with the focus on culture in English education, I could understand English better and easier. Moreover, I was highly motivated. Therefore, introducing culture into English class more actively helped students' language learning.

I was lucky to have such a great English education at public school as a foreigner. I will keep studying English hard at college as well.
bakbann
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down