English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP7] What would you like to implement and achieve as a teacher...

2 posters

Go down

[OP7] What would you like to implement and achieve as a teacher... Empty [OP7] What would you like to implement and achieve as a teacher...

Post  HyejinJeon Sun Jun 08 2008, 19:28

Think about your own experiences as an English language learner. Based on this experience, what would you like to implement and achieve as a teacher of English in the Korean public school context?

In my life, my first time to experience English really was 11 years old. Because I grew up in country, I as well as my parents were a little insensible of the necessity to learn English. Twice a week, a teacher came to our school, taught English and played with us in English. I think that he tried to make us be interested in English because most students didn't learn English in real earnest. At first, he gave his students a English name, and ordered us to call each other the name. Every class, I enjoyed the time. However, entering a middle school, I lost my interest in English. My teacher almost concentrated on reading and grammar skills like now. After that, when I determined to become a English teacher, these opposite experiences have an effect on my ideal teacher.

First of all, I would like to make students be interested in English by using various activities. The first step in learning something, especially a language, is being interested in it. That is, a motivation for studying is a very important factor. Various and interesting activities give rise to motivation. For instance, in my spoken English practice class, my professor ordered us to play a short piece of drama. Before doing this activity, I was afraid of acting in front of many people. In addition, it was bothering for me to prepare lines and small stage properties. However, during preparing these things and acting, every member enjoyed making funny lines and making properties. This activity changed my thought that drama was difficult and bothering. Like my professor, I would like to try to do various activities and make my students be interested in English.

Secondly, I would like to encourage to develop speaking and writing abilities. These are productive abilities. I hear that non-native English speakers can have reading and listening abilities like native one. Otherwise, it is impossible be like native English speakers in speaking and writing. That's why I want to concentrate on them more. These days, communicative competence is emphasized because speaking ability is more needed in the world. One of my friends is good at listening and reading. In particular she can read books written in English so fast, but she always feels that her speaking and writing abilities are not enough. In her school, is not it better to focus on productive skills?

In short, what I would like to do as a English teacher is simple; just making students feel English is fun and developing productive skills. Perhaps, my whishes are everyone's one. I wish my desires come true soon, and I try to develop my abilities to teach my future students better.

HyejinJeon
HyejinJeon
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP7] What would you like to implement and achieve as a teacher... Empty Re: [OP7] What would you like to implement and achieve as a teacher...

Post  Ju-mi,Im Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:50

I agree with you.
As you said, making students feel English is fun is our task.
We need to study and develop to make it, right? Very Happy
Ju-mi,Im
Ju-mi,Im
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down