English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Personal Journal

+2
Jung namsook
Young
6 posters

Go down

Personal Journal Empty Personal Journal

Post  Young Sat Mar 29 2008, 03:59

Car- Moving Weapon

Today, I witnessed two car accidents. One occurred inside an apartment complex and the other occurred at the entrance of an apartment complex. Actually, two weeks ago, I had a car accident near my office. After the accident, I got scared and am still afraid of driving. Moreover, two car accidents of today made me more dreadful, and it came to my mind that probably cars can be weapons.

In Korea, people tend to drive very aggressively. Once even a person who is nice, calm in his or her normal life holds the wheel, he or she becomes an aggressive, crazy driver. I guess one of the reasons about Koreans’ bad driving behavior is related to Koreans’ typical character. Koreans are hard-working, but this character has affected their driving habit negatively. They have to go fast to do something, so they can not wait. As soon as the traffic lights turn into yellow or green, they hurry to start. If the car ahead hesitates to start or starts a little late, drivers behind honk right away instead of showing patience.

When I visited New York, I was surprised that New Yorkers drove more aggressively than Koreans. At that time I suspected probably the way of driving in New York had influence on the way of Koreans’ driving. On the contrary, when I was in Canada, I rarely saw drivers who drove like Koreans. Above all, there are not lots of cars on the street. They drove slowly and calmly, and they seldom honk.

I’d like to point out the seriousness of car accidents inside or near the apartment complex. Two car accidents that I witnessed today happened in the apartment complex. It was terrible to see a crying kid and a woman who couldn’t move. Slight bumping between cars is not that big problem. The problem is man-involved car accidents. The worse thing is the injured of car accidents occurred inside the apartment complex are almost kids. Drivers should be careful when they drive in that area. There are lots of people going around and kids suddenly showing up.

To reduce car accidents inside the apartment complex and to correct aggressive driving behavior, it is necessary that people are aware of their bad driving habits. Also, people need to take this fact seriously that cars can be moving weapons. Since concession bears concession, showing concession first is important. Plus, being patient and having responsibility in driving would be helpful. Although I changed my bad driving behavior a little, I guess I need to try to get rid of all bad driving behavior. Hopefully, I will be able to put what I know in to action not to drive a moving weapon. Also, I wish others will.
Young
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Personal Journal Empty Very impressive to me!

Post  Jung namsook Sat Mar 29 2008, 09:52

Hi heeyoung~

I once again enjoyed reading your journal. As one of the crazy dirverers, I would like to apologize uncontrollable habit to KNU goers. Likewise inside the residece, I would sometimes step up to make it 9 o'clock class in the morning. It must be banned from speeding up. when I see some drivers including me, they otherwise drive at the campus, they would have to get uncountable tickets. Thanks for your warm-hearted advice. I do really consider the traffice safety from now.

Have a great weekend.

Namsook

p.s.
Heeyoung, I'm reading chap 7, Gatsby and find it has too many pages. I hope you will deliver a wonderful presentation.
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Personal Journal Empty Re: Personal Journal

Post  Young Sat Mar 29 2008, 10:54

Hi! Sook,

Are you Namsook that I know?
My friend Namsook is not a crazy driver. Very Happy
Actually, I am.
Young
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw Fri Apr 04 2008, 05:19

Young wrote:

Car- Moving Weapon

Today, I witnessed two car accidents. One occurred inside an apartment complex and the other occurred at the entrance of an apartment complex. Actually, two weeks ago, I had a car accident near my office. After the accident, I got scared and am still afraid of driving. Moreover, two car accidents of today made me more dreadful, and it came to my mind that probably cars can be weapons.

In Korea, people tend to drive very aggressively. Once even a person who is nice, calm in his or her normal life holds the wheel, he or she becomes an aggressive, crazy driver. I guess one of the reasons about Koreans’ bad driving behavior is related to Koreans’ typical character. Koreans are hard-working, but this character has affected their driving habit negatively. They have to go fast to do something, so they can not wait. As soon as the traffic lights turn into yellow or green, they hurry to start. If the car ahead hesitates to start or starts a little late, drivers behind honk right away instead of showing patience.

When I visited New York, I was surprised that New Yorkers drove more aggressively than Koreans. At that time I suspected probably the way of driving in New York had influence on the way of Koreans’ driving. On the contrary, when I was in Canada, I rarely saw drivers who drove like Koreans. Above all, there are not lots of cars on the street. They drove slowly and calmly, and they seldom honk.

I’d like to point out the seriousness of car accidents inside or near the apartment complex. Two car accidents that I witnessed today happened in the apartment complex. It was terrible to see a crying kid and a woman who couldn’t move. Slight bumping between cars is not that big problem. The problem is man-involved car accidents. The worse thing is the injured of car accidents occurred inside the apartment complex are almost kids. Drivers should be careful when they drive in that area. There are lots of people going around and kids suddenly showing up.

To reduce car accidents inside the apartment complex and to correct aggressive driving behavior, it is necessary that people are aware of their bad driving habits. Also, people need to take this fact seriously that cars can be moving weapons. Since concession bears concession, showing concession first is important. Plus, being patient and having responsibility in driving would be helpful. Although I changed my bad driving behavior a little, I guess I need to try to get rid of all bad driving behavior. Hopefully, I will be able to put what I know in to action not to drive a moving weapon. Also, I wish others will.

Excellent journal entry, Heeyoung. In addition to raising a very important issue, I think you've done an outstanding job of contextualizing it based on recent experience, then really exploring it and showing careful thought about possible solutions. That makes this a very full and well rounded-out piece of writing.

Being an expat (foreigner) in Korea, I do try to limit my criticisms of local customs or the 'Korean way of doing things', out of respect for the fact that this is not my country. However, my wife and son are Korean citizens, and if there is one thing that drives me truly crazy with worry here, it is the issue of traffic safety. It's probably best I don't get started on this issue... It's very hard for me to stop!~

I really liked this point in your writing:

"Since concession bears concession, showing concession first is important."

I wish more people could understand that, not just in driving but also many other aspects of life...

Good work. It's wonderful to read your well-considered thoughts on an issue like this.

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Kanghoon Jang Fri Apr 04 2008, 09:07

I hate that behaviours too. Basically, I don't like Japanese things. However, I like the style of Japanese drivers. They think that they have to stop when they see pedestians although there is no crosswalk. They always give me the green light when I was faced with that situations.

How about Korean? We never think that pedestians is first when we are faced with all together. even that pedestians also just waiting for cars going first. That is really ridiculous.

Sometimes I miss it when I see crazy car drivers in Korea. Shocked
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Personal Journal Empty Re: Car Moving Weapon

Post  Hwan Ki, Kim Fri Apr 04 2008, 17:37

Hello, Hee young!

I'm suprised that the kid in your picture actually belongs to you.
It is certainly not a flatter, I tought he was your nephew.

I enjoyed reading your journal. It was fuuny phrase that as soon as somebody grasp the handle turns into crazy drivers.

Car accident can be a disaster to someone's life. I can't imagine the physical and mental pain afterwards. I think one big problem of Korea is that there is not many stop signs existing in small roads. Blind spots are waiting for driver's special attention.

Have a nice weekend! see you in class!

Hwan Ki, Kim
Hwan Ki, Kim
Hwan Ki, Kim
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  Younghee choi Fri Apr 04 2008, 22:11

Your journal seems to sound the alarm on our driving habit.
We cannot be too careful of driving a car.
As a pedestrian, it is also our responsibility not to jaywalk.

Let me illustrate a hearkbreaking accident that took place the other day.
A car was turning its way back to help a woman who was screaming on the road.
The car driver thought she was in danger of being kidnapped from a man, which actually turned out to be a quarrel between husband and wife.
She was jaywalking when the driver hit her and put her to death.
It is a pedestrian's obligation to be cautious on the road and keep the traffic rules as well.

Thank you for reminding me of being a good driver and pedestrian.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down