English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Personal Journal 4

3 posters

Go down

Personal Journal 4 Empty Personal Journal 4

Post  Young Mon May 05 2008, 19:17

Early-Childhood English education

English education is one of the controversial, important issues in Korea. Nowadays, the age of starting studying English is getting younger and younger. In learning foreign languages, starting age must be very crucial and the key to make the result be either successful or unsuccessful. In Korea, public schools start to teach English to the third grade elementary school students. However, some learners start earlier than the third grade of an elementary school. Is it okay to start earlier and what does the government have to do to fulfill the reality?

Personally, I started learning English when I was 14 years old right before entering a middle school. I learned grammar and vocabulary at first to prepare English for a middle school. At that time, most students started studying English like me. Later, I was interested in pronouncing English, so I bought some cassette tapes of my middle school English textbooks and practiced pronunciation with those tapes by myself regardless of assessment at school. However, since I didn’t get help to study English from both my parents and teachers, I couldn’t continue studying English in the way I liked. Finally, at a high school, I couldn’t enjoy English, and even a little interest about English disappeared. Then, I started studying English after graduating from a high school. Sometimes, I think what if I started learning English earlier with parents’ support or public schools provided very motivating English education for me. If I had experienced at least one of them, I could have enjoyed English much more and have a career in a better English-related work place now.

Unlike me, many recent students start learning English very early, probably under 7 years old, in the kindergartens, English institutions, or at home by tutoring. Therefore, we can see young students under 13 years old speak English fluently. In addition, many young students are familiar with native speakers because they have lots of chances to talk and touch with them. Plus, young students’ pronunciation is much better than adults. This is obviously the result of starting English education early.

In my opinion, however, a problem seems to exist- when learners who are good at English become middle school students and high school students, it is challenging for them to continue studying English for genuine English. Because of Korean education system, they have to study all kinds of subjects and focus on English reading for assessments. Therefore, most of them can’t continue studying English speaking.

As one of mothers who want their children to be good at English, I am considering how I can lead my son’s English studying. I strongly believe that starting English education early is important. At the same time, I also think mother tongue, Korean, should be the first place. Once, I heard too much force of studying English to young kids under 5 years old can have a negative impact on them like language disorder. Also, one famous English educator, Bo-young Lee, said the age of 7 might be the proper age to start teaching English. To young kids under 7 years old, English education should be provided as games and making kids be familiar with English would be enough. I agree with her opinion.

To make kids be familiar with English, a mother’s role is very important. They can use songs, videos, and books in English. Plus, the government should support preschools to provide English education. Another thing is that in elementary schools, English education should be changed into more high quality one by extending class time and hiring qualified English teachers. Hopefully, the time when my son becomes a high school student, I will not have to worry about extra English education.
Young
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Personal Journal 4 Empty Re: Personal Journal 4

Post  Kanghoon Jang Mon May 12 2008, 22:18

I am also really confused when I think of the English education for my future children. Therefore, I am really considering what kind of job is the best for my career and my future children's education.

We already realized how important early educaion is for children especially English. To be honest, I was really jealous of those who have been to English countires when they was in childhood when I was in high school, They always had advantages compared to those who have never been there. Since that, I always swear that If I have my lovely children, I would bring them to America for English ablity. Of course, I let my childrean have to know and speak Korean too. That is the most important part as identity.

I think that is one of the best ways not to worry about English education based on my experiences.
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jongwoo Fri Jun 06 2008, 10:45

I agree to your arguement that early English educaion is inevitable. No matter how strong faith parents have in regular school education, they don't want their children to fall behind others in the race. This is because students who benefit from early English education can run ahead of others. I don't want to admit it, but it's true.
Jongwoo
Jongwoo
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down