English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP5] Online learning applications

2 posters

Go down

[OP5]  Online learning applications Empty [OP5] Online learning applications

Post  Hwan Ki, Kim Thu May 01 2008, 11:18

[OP5] What do you think are the potential benefits and limitations of online learning applications for English education in Korea? Support your opinion with details and examples.

Online learning has been used in English Education in Korea in various ways. Almost every people has individual laptop in their house and office. Since Korea became one of the fastest internet connected nations in the world, large amount of education materials has been developed in online learning application. Online forum, instruction through internet, cyber lecture and online portfolio are the examples. However, there are potential benefits and limitations in this method, and I am going to focus on these two points.

There are lots of pros in online learning applications. One key thing is the time flexibility. Student does not need to show up in determined lecture time, so as teachers have more time to give feedbacks to students. Also, it removed the distance gap for the students. Student can study any place that provides internet, and search for information throughout the world. Globalization in English education is happening in reality. Also, it gives wider opportunity to self and further study access. Not only teacher gives their opinion to the students, but also student can present their opinion toward other students. Such interaction can meet with good results, multiply student's capability.

Good benefits has the weak points. In my personal opinion, most of the students that are lower than university student will abuse their time freedom because they have less responsibility and concentration. Students usually gets disturbed in the class even if they have teachers in front of them. This method will work for few students, but I do not think it will cover in Korea situation that the big ratio between teacher per students. In addition to that, it is difficult to identify that the student understands the context and prove their online participation. I had many class that involves with online learning, however, students thought online learning was useless because it was not graded.

Online learning applications have good and bad points. In my opinion, it is our job to make online learning applications better or worse. We should understand that this method is in the process of development. In the future, this method will contribute in our English education in better ways.
Hwan Ki, Kim
Hwan Ki, Kim
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

[OP5]  Online learning applications Empty Re: [OP5] Online learning applications

Post  Younghee choi Tue May 06 2008, 20:33

You said, online learning was useless because it was not graded.

It is surprising to hear that idea.
It might be premature to judge online learning like that because it depends on how online learning is organized and operated. Some are actually graded.
It is regretful to notice that Korean students seem to think that only the lesson which accompanies evaluation is important. They seem to study just to get a grade not study to learn.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down