English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journal 6: Teaching practicum at an elementary school

3 posters

Go down

Journal 6: Teaching practicum at an elementary school Empty Journal 6: Teaching practicum at an elementary school

Post  Younghee choi Wed May 07 2008, 21:12

Journal 6: Teaching practicum at an elementary school

For this week’s journal, I’d like to write about the teaching practicum that I had at Sadae Buseol elementary school of Kyungpook National University from April 28th to May 3rd. A week teaching practicum at the elementary school was mandatory to all 4th year students at teachers’ college although we would be a secondary school teacher. Around 380 student teachers went to the school, which made the school crowded for a week.

The first impression I had about the school came from the facilities. Despite its old history, the school was equipped with good facilities and some were renovated recently. I was amazed to see the playground which was covered with artificial lawn and there was even a swimming pool although the school was small in terms of the number of students. There were four classrooms in each grade and 32 students(16 boys and 16 girls) in each class. Since the school is designated as a model school all the year round, it is famous for having best teachers in Daegu. I felt that students in the school were lucky to have this splendid facilities and admirable teachers.

We were greeted by students who performed their various talent shows such as dancing the flamenco, playing a farm music and musical instruments and so on. After that, 16 student teachers myself included were assigned to the second classroom in the third grade. The homeroom teacher was Mr. Kim, who was tall, slender and in his forties. He was such a great teacher that he never shouted in class and controled the class very skillfully. He made a number of creative classroom rules through which students behave well and respect one another. I realized how important the teacher’s role was to make the class organized and to have good classroom environment for studying. He said this year would be the last term for him to teach as a teacher because he passed the test for a school inspector. I think he deserves it as he is a hard working teacher.

The students in my class were cute, polite, and well-behaved. The student who was assigned to me was Sun-min, who was a vice president of the class. She was so sociable and amiable that she called me even after finishing the practicum at the school. The most precious time that we shared was at the intramural athletic meeting. Student teachers acted as cheer leaders. We practiced performing the day before and had a great time with students on the field day.

May 3rd was the last day at the school. The students in my classroom started to cry during the farewell party. Looking back, I have observed many classes and had many chances to look at other teachers’ classes as well. Each teacher has his/her own teaching style. Through the class observations, I could learn a lot on how to teach effectively and how to manage the class during the short period of time. Above all, I felt the most important thing as a teacher was love of students as well as teaching.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Journal 6: Teaching practicum at an elementary school Empty Re: Journal 6: Teaching practicum at an elementary school

Post  Sera Jung Thu May 08 2008, 20:24

It is so interesting to hear your story at elementary school. As many of our composition class are participating the teaching placticum thesedays, the class got smaller and quiet. I heard from some seniors that they practiced dancing . I think the atmosphere of class at elementary school is differnt a lot from that of at middleschool. Thanks for telling your story and miss you ^^
Sera Jung
Sera Jung
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Journal 6: Teaching practicum at an elementary school Empty Re: Journal 6: Teaching practicum at an elementary school

Post  Kanghoon Jang Mon May 12 2008, 19:29

I am jealous of you! I could have gone there for practicum this year. However, as a person studying the business, I should prepare for getting a job in my field. To be honest, I already got a job to be ealrier than I expect so I kindda regreted why I gave up incredible opportunity. Rolling Eyes

Whild I read your journal, I imaged that if I teach English in high school I would be able to manage dramatic English class. Based on my experience to teach English in another Jason's class, it is really hilarous and I can enjoy my time. I know how difficult managing classes and controlling students are but I would find the ways to do that if I continue with my lovely students.

I hope that you keep being happy when you are in class with your lovely students.
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down