English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OP10 It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class.

Go down

OP10 It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class. Empty OP10 It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class.

Post  Cho Jun-woo Mon Jun 09 2008, 15:28

It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class.
Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why or why not? Use reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Class environment is one of the important elements in teaching. Not an English class but also other subjects are the same. I think anyone can't deny this truth. Surely, I agree with that statement. Especially in language or experiment classes, smaller class is more essential. Recently, in Korea, I can see small classes camparing with past however it's meager part and it's operating restrictive schools.

First, if I watch back when I was in high school. There was 38 in a class (nomally 35-40 in a class). In the English class, only 3 or 5 students could have a chance to speak English. This is not a story of long time ago. And actually, nowadays most of high schools are the same. Surely, it's not the only problem of class size. Most of English classes were focusing on reading and grammer. However, class size is one of the serious problem. What I want to say is the chance. Smaller class can give students a chance to speaking and reading English. Therefore most of the calsses are very restrictive.

Next, in most of high schools, teachers can't give attention to students. Even when I was in high school, at the back of the class, some students were eating something or reading other books. Students didn't pay attention to teacher and at the same time teachers, too. Therefore, teachers can't give immediate feedback. In English education, as you know immediate feedback is needless to say important. I believe without feedback, there is no communicative class.

Lastly, there are many other problems in English class except class size. And it can't be changed here and now. But, smaller class is not very far away future story. Population is reducing and at the same time schools are increasing. At this stage, teachers should think and study how can I conduct effective English class even it's big class size. This is the work of teachers and governments.
Cho Jun-woo
Cho Jun-woo
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down