English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(OP10) It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class.Do you agree?

2 posters

Go down

(OP10) It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class.Do you agree? Empty (OP10) It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class.Do you agree?

Post  Ji hye Lim Sun Jun 08 2008, 18:21

Consider the following statement:
It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class.
Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why or why not? Use reasons and examples to support your opinion.

I agree with this opinion. When I was high school student, there are 40~45 students in the class. These days, although number of students is reduced, There are 30~35 students in the class. That's still too much for effective English language instruction.

First reason is that students can't have many chances to speak in English under the present situation. The most important reason that we learn other language is that We want to talk with their language. To be a good at speaking in English, We must speak as much as possible. However under this situation, Only Some students who are good at speaking English, speak frequently. Most of the students who are not good at speaking English, who don't have confidence, remain silence. Especially, They usually reluctant speak in front of many students. When I Iistened foreigner's class, there are about 30 students but just 3 or 4 students spoke usually. So good students get confidence and develop more and more, insufficiency students lose their confidence continually.

Second reason is that teacher can't correct students' mistakes well under the present situation. Teacher is not Almighty. Teacher can't control over 30 or40 students. Sometimes, they can't notice students' mistakes, Then, students use uncorrect expression continually. Especially for teaching writing skill, teacher's correct is very important. For correct each student's writing, teacher must consider many things and check a lot of things carefully. So they have a lot of work to do. Teacher can't do this with 30 or 40 students. That's the reason why English class in Korea's public school is being taught just focus on reading.

Conclusion is that Korea's present situation is not good for teaching English effectively.
Under this situation, We can't teach speaking and writing well. We can't develop various skill adequately. We must reduce number of students. It will cost. However we can get much more effect.

Last edited by Ji hye Lim on Tue Jun 10 2008, 17:02; edited 1 time in total
Ji hye Lim
Ji hye Lim
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

(OP10) It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class.Do you agree? Empty Re: (OP10) It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class.Do you agree?

Post  Jung namsook Sun Jun 08 2008, 20:50

It's coincident to post OP 8 and 10 almost at the same time with you. I was deferring to complete both two OPs because I didn't outline and come up with persuasive details and examples. After reading your body paragraphs, the reasons you pointed out are more assuring and reflecting a present English class than I suggested. I need to be approaching more closely to the topic and good examples. Bye!
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down