English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twisty Turny Story

3 posters

Go down

Twisty Turny Story Empty Twisty Turny Story

Post  Jung Yoojin Tue May 27 2008, 19:35

[Jang Eunkil, Lee Pilsu, Park Boyun, Park Jihyun, Cho Eunjin Han Kyungjae, written by Jung Yoojin]

Hi! It is the year 2015. I am a Korean student and I have just graduated from high school. I really have to say that I feel very proud of and confident in my English proficiency! I am not a special student. I am average. But almost all "averages" students in Korea, these days like English and can use it well. That's because English education in Korean public schools is very different now compared to 10 years ago.

Unlike 10 years ago, the English subject in public school is being taught outside the regular schedule of the school, which means we learn English only in the afternoon. For example, we learn other subjects such as Korean, mathe, geograph, and economy all in the morning, which are prerequisite for the college entrance exam. However, English is not a mandatory subject for college entrance exam. Rather, students need to take their basic level test before going to high school. We are just assigned to different levels of the English class. If we only pass the differently assigned test before the graduation of high school , we are eligible for taking the chance to college entrance exam. Plus, almost all of English classes are being conducted based on the task-based instruction.

Secondly, English teachers are really excellent at teaching English. They are many different interacting study materials. For example, they bring good short stories to the class and students read them and share their opinions after that. Teachers bring movies for the English class.

As you know, we are now living in 21st century and can communicate with anyone all over the world using a computer. So, we communicate and talk with foreign friends through internet. This is how it works. Our school is linked with one of high schools in United States. Their teacher and our teacher made a special chatting rooms for us to talk to each other. We have different issues every week. Like penpals 10 years ago, we have buddy program on internet. For this month, I am a buddy with a girl named Lisa. We get to know each other and talk over issues that are given. I am using English naturally on internet and it is a lot of fun. I wonder who will be my next month buddy...

Maybe most people agree with this idea ; Elementary education is important. So do I. I think our president has the same idea. So, he made a new rule for elementary English education. They can never use the textbook. They have to do something but not in speaking but acting. For example, if they learn how to make a bread, they do not learin it through textbook, Teachers who can use English freely show them and teach tehm how to make bread in English. So, to do that task and to eat delicious bread, students have to understand and follow the instruction. Doing this kind of activities such as, making real mountain with using playdo following the English education.

In addition to no-textbook rule, now we have high school helping middle school program with English. Nowadays, to go to university, students need to have volunteering work achievement. High school students who participate in this helping program can help the middle schoolers by promoting them to speak English more. Usually, at schools, students use English to communicate with teachers, but through this program, students can communicate with students.

Fortunately, we have some chances to go abroad whenever we want to study English. And even if we or our our parents don't have enough money to support us when we are abroad, many public supporting institutions and organizations can give us subsidy. Of course the chances have requirements. But they are not so strict. If we are school students and interested in English, and the purpose is not for money, e can go abroad twice or three times. But not more! We can widen our point of view via the program.
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Twisty Turny Story Empty impressive...

Post  jangdj Thu Jun 05 2008, 07:40

Jung Yoojin wrote:[Jang Eunkil, Lee Pilsu, Park Boyun, Park Jihyun, Cho Eunjin Han Kyungjae, written by Jung Yoojin]

Hi! It is the year 2015. I am a Korean student and I have just graduated from high school. I really have to say that I feel very proud of and confident in my English proficiency! I am not a special student. I am average. But almost all "averages" students in Korea, these days like English and can use it well. That's because English education in Korean public schools is very different now compared to 10 years ago.

Unlike 10 years ago, the English subject in public school is being taught outside the regular schedule of the school, which means we learn English only in the afternoon. For example, we learn other subjects such as Korean, mathe, geograph, and economy all in the morning, which are prerequisite for the college entrance exam. However, English is not a mandatory subject for college entrance exam. Rather, students need to take their basic level test before going to high school. We are just assigned to different levels of the English class. If we only pass the differently assigned test before the graduation of high school , we are eligible for taking the chance to college entrance exam. Plus, almost all of English classes are being conducted based on the task-based instruction.

Secondly, English teachers are really excellent at teaching English. They are many different interacting study materials. For example, they bring good short stories to the class and students read them and share their opinions after that. Teachers bring movies for the English class.

As you know, we are now living in 21st century and can communicate with anyone all over the world using a computer. So, we communicate and talk with foreign friends through internet. This is how it works. Our school is linked with one of high schools in United States. Their teacher and our teacher made a special chatting rooms for us to talk to each other. We have different issues every week. Like penpals 10 years ago, we have buddy program on internet. For this month, I am a buddy with a girl named Lisa. We get to know each other and talk over issues that are given. I am using English naturally on internet and it is a lot of fun. I wonder who will be my next month buddy...

Maybe most people agree with this idea ; Elementary education is important. So do I. I think our president has the same idea. So, he made a new rule for elementary English education. They can never use the textbook. They have to do something but not in speaking but acting. For example, if they learn how to make a bread, they do not learin it through textbook, Teachers who can use English freely show them and teach tehm how to make bread in English. So, to do that task and to eat delicious bread, students have to understand and follow the instruction. Doing this kind of activities such as, making real mountain with using playdo following the English education.

In addition to no-textbook rule, now we have high school helping middle school program with English. Nowadays, to go to university, students need to have volunteering work achievement. High school students who participate in this helping program can help the middle schoolers by promoting them to speak English more. Usually, at schools, students use English to communicate with teachers, but through this program, students can communicate with students.

Fortunately, we have some chances to go abroad whenever we want to study English. And even if we or our our parents don't have enough money to support us when we are abroad, many public supporting institutions and organizations can give us subsidy. Of course the chances have requirements. But they are not so strict. If we are school students and interested in English, and the purpose is not for money, e can go abroad twice or three times. But not more! We can widen our point of view via the program.

I found that I am studying with very brillant young men.
This folks came up with the idea that I even didn't think of..
jangdj
jangdj
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Twisty Turny Story Empty Learning with Play-dough

Post  jihyun Sun Jun 08 2008, 08:38

It was quiet interesting ideas. ^^I hope someday this all things can happend to our students.
I was one of the writers in this twisty-turny. I said, from elementary school, we could learn English, using it.
This idea comes up to my mind because, last year, I saw the video which was about the "Waldorf school".
That school had a special curriculum in which students make something or do something to learn a subject.
It looks so interestning. At that time, I thought myself, I want to be one of them.

And..........If my students can learn English through that way, they can enjoy English more.
If we teach them jump the rope in English , it will be more fun than just reading the article which is
written about the jumping skills or etc. If we teach them to write a letter in English while they write a
letter to their friends or whoever, it will be more fun than just reading a letter which is written in English.
So, If there is a chance, I will really apply this method in my class, Before that, I know I have to have good
English speaking skill ^^ Wish me good luck !!^^
jihyun
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Twisty Turny Story Empty Re: Twisty Turny Story

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down