English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

twisty turny story

Go down

twisty turny story Empty twisty turny story

Post  Joo Un-jin Wed May 28 2008, 20:39

written by Jeong Mi-jin, Kim Hyo-jin, Jung Ji-eun, Kim Sun-young, Son Mi-jin, Hwang Yun-kyoung

Hi! It's the year 2015. I am a korean student and I have just graduated from high school. I really have to say that I feel very proud of and cinfident in my English profiency! I am not a special student. I'm average. But almost all "average" students in Korea these days like English and can use it well. That's because English education in Korea public schools is very different now compared to 10 years ago...

First, 10 years ago, English teachers in our public schools taught only grammar, vocabulary, reading and listening. So most of students, even who had great score in English subject, couldn't speak in English. We've got educated in order to have good score on the tests, including university entrance test. Also, many students had to go to private academic institute for English where they are taught important principles aiming for high test score. But now teachers teach us English in English and we don't have difficulties understanding English of natives. For example, i can have a conversation with American friends and tell something that I want to say.

Second, since we can understand English well enough to communicate with native speakers, we do more activities so that we may not get bored in each class. English classes used to focus on grammar very much while a teacher lets students play a performance, have a discussion on a conversational issue or make e-pals as horework. It helps students to be more into the class and more creative.

Third, English became not a one of subjects but our life. After finishing all other subjects, we got two classes for only English everyday!! Those classes were seperated by each level and we could experience and learn various things with suitable level. (Every class consists of less than ten students.) Due to these two hours, we could just concentrate in English and as everything was doing in English, it was almost ESL situation.

Fourth, our extensive reading course is very helpful. Every school, of course including high schools, has its own English book library. There, we can choose the books that deal with the subject we are interested in. the good thing here is that all the books are arranged in profiency level order.

In addition, every month, students have an English speech day. All students are obliged to participte in that contest and if youwin the first prize, it will be really honor for your school life.

Last, before once the testbook was made, it never changed. Frankly speaking, it was revised every four years. So the pictures are very old and many stories are not our interests any more. nowadays, textbooks are revised every two years and those are not main resources for the classes. We use many current English materials like news, drama, commercials And according to our level. teachers who teach same leveled students prepare the materials together.
Joo Un-jin
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down