English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me

+3
Kanghoon Jang
Young
Jung namsook
7 posters

Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty [OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me

Post  Jung namsook Fri Mar 28 2008, 12:47

A Teacher Who Inspired Me

There are many people who inspired me and thus choosing only one to write about proved to be a difficult decision. The transition to college life has brought new and wonderful people into my life; the person who inspired me most was, in fact, there. It is my advisor professor. She is said to have gone through tough days but always managed to have a smile on her face. As time goes by, I have come to really appreciate her devotion and love.

When I first joined her literature class and met her, I thought she would be very strict let alone laugh at all. I was overwhelmed that she was tall enough to look more likely men seen from a distance. Besides, she had big eyes led her to behold all the things, including students distracted and the dusts back in the class room. I had no choice but to pay especial attention to her lesson, however, I quickly found that she was full of affection on beginning to kindly explain her creative and organized class syllabus.

One thing I enjoyed her class is that she was perfectly prepared for her lecture. Already, she knew the things that her students would need to essentially learn and provided reference materials. Sometimes, supplemental materials were catered to each group of the students. No matter what questions we ask of, she seemed to willingly answer as clearly as she could. After class, she would suggest what students should do for their dream job. I was fully excited and satisfied with each class resulted in the most expecting one to me.

One day, a student who shared the class with me was stuck in the worries of interview. He was incomparably competent, having almost perfect English and Japanese spoken skills along with a good academic performance. He would, however, fail to pass all the interviews because of nervousness. At that time, my adviser professor shored him up in many ways; she guided him to work for convention business. Furthermore, she could be our interviewers and tried out almost real interviews with the students in class.

All in all, as with other occupations, teaching is one of the most professional works. It is human-related job that could bring in developing ones potential for ones life and find ones way to go to. Every single word spoken by teachers is so meaningful. In that sense, my adviser professor is the authentic professional who inspired and showed what is teaching.

Last edited by Jason Renshaw on Sun Mar 30 2008, 09:58; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Line spacing between paragraphs... just one blank line please!)
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty Re: [OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me

Post  Young Fri Mar 28 2008, 15:34

We really need good advices from our teachers. Teachers are special in term of not only giving others useful knowledge but also helping students to open their first step to the society.
It is sad that I didn't meet a good adviser professor when I was in university.
Young
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty definately..

Post  Kanghoon Jang Sun Mar 30 2008, 10:17

teachers have to know what they are going to say in classroom. They also study as much as they can because students already knew whether that course is great or not. I love you
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty Namsook's feedback

Post  Jason Renshaw Sun Mar 30 2008, 16:59

Hi Namsook,

Thanks for contributing your essay in response to this topic. I think it is a very elegant piece of writing, extremely well organized and presented, and clearly addresses the main demands of the topic.

Your description of this teacher was quite vivid, and yet done without too many sentences. That is a real writing skill: to be able to create a strong image in the reader's mind and remain concise in the process. Well done!

Reading your ideas, I think a lot of new teachers (and older ones, for that matter) underestimate the capacity of learners to notice how well prepared they are and how much thought and work they have put into their lessons. I believe this forges the most fundamental basis of respect in learners. It also 'qualifies' teachers in their roles, in that learners will be more inclined to accept and follow a teacher's direction based on how well prepared they perceive the lesson to be. Some teachers rely instead on their position and an expectation of authority to lead the students. Such teachers do still tend to get respect from the learners, but it is rather superficial; as superficial in fact as the teacher's initial basis for expecting respect in the first place.

Also, as you mention, it is important that the learners feel they can be spontaneous and have their questions answered on the spot. It is this balance between preparation and 'thinking on your feet' that makes the best qualified teachers, in my opinion.

The one-on-one individualized attention you refer to is also clearly of great importance in inspiring students. They need to feel the teacher will be there for them when they really need it. The helping hand of a sensitive and gifted teacher can facilitate amazing new directions for students...

I think this essay is extremely well written. You have created the effect needed for this topic and somehow remained controlled and concise. It's extremely easy to read and relate to. Great work, Namsook!

Below I've included some suggestions relevant to language development:

Jung namsook wrote:
A Teacher Who Inspired Me

There are many people who inspired me and thus choosing only one to write about proved to be a difficult decision. The transition to college life has brought new and wonderful people into my life; the person who inspired me most was, in fact, there. It is my advisor professor. She is said to have gone through tough days but always managed to have a smile on her face. As time goes by, I have come to really appreciate her devotion and love.

When I first joined her literature class and met her, I thought she would be very strict let alone laugh at all. Question I was overwhelmed that she was tall enough to look more likely men seen from a distance. Besides, she had big eyes led her to behold all the things, including students distracted and the dusts back in the class room. Question I had no choice but to pay especial attention to her lesson, however, I quickly found that she was full of affection on beginning to kindly explain her creative and organized class syllabus.

One thing I enjoyed her class is that she was perfectly prepared for her lecture. Already, she knew the things that her students would need to essentially learn and provided reference materials. Question Sometimes, supplemental materials were catered to each group of the students. No matter what questions we ask of, she seemed to willingly answer as clearly as she could. After class, she would suggest what students should do for their dream job. I was fully excited and satisfied with each class resulted in the most expecting one to me.

One day, a student who shared the class with me was stuck in the worries of interview. He was incomparably competent, having almost perfect English and Japanese spoken skills along with a good academic performance. He would, however, fail to pass all the interviews because of nervousness. At that time, my adviser professor shored him up in many ways; she guided him to work for convention business. Furthermore, she could be our interviewers and tried out almost real interviews with the students in class.

All in all, as with other occupations, teaching is one of the most professional works. It is human-related job that could bring in developing ones potential for ones life and find ones way to go to. Every single word spoken by teachers is so meaningful. In that sense, my adviser professor is the authentic professional who inspired and showed what is teaching.

Cool I was somewhat overwhelmed by the fact that she was tall enough to more closely resemble a man when seen from a distance

Cool I had no choice but to pay especial attention to her lesson, however, as I quickly found that she was full of affection as she began to kindly explain her creative and organized class syllabus.

Cool Sometimes, supplementary materials were provided to different groups of students

Great effort, Namsook, and a very fitting tribute in writing to the professor who proved to be such an inspiration to you.

Take care and see you in class,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Inkab Sun Mar 30 2008, 18:19

I am wondering if she is the person you've mentioned over our lunch on Thursday. I also really enjoyed the time with you and Young. I was glad we were in the same age. What a coincidence!
Most of your essays were very impressive to me, but your comments on other classmates essay really give me the clue that you are a thoughful, devoted person, and will be a teacher like yours in the nearest furture.

Hope to see more of your wonderful essays ( I really mean this)I love you

Last edited by Inkab on Mon Mar 31 2008, 20:26; edited 1 time in total
Inkab
Inkab
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty Jason's great eagle eye!

Post  Jung namsook Sun Mar 30 2008, 18:39

Thanks for your committed feedback. I once again appreciate your insight and eye for picking out the sentences that I'got confused in writing. Those sentences are the ones that have come to give up completing. I think it's almost impossible to seek-and-hide with you because you do know the way I think and where to exactly hide. You must be born to be a teacher. You've got the memory nobody can immitate and responsibility as well as perfect preparation for the lecture. Moreover you have enough understaning and intelligence for each of your students. Another good thing is that you greatly learn how we can be motivated and encouraged. Most of your students at KNU have been captivated by your teaching skills.

My problem is to be so nervous in a timed writing; however, I think I'll be better if I practice more and harder in accordance with your class. I will always be getting positive in life.

Thanks again.

Namsook!

p.s
I am, in fact, being forced to get facial treatment. My mother says, "It's high time to do something for your own face." I hope my mother is not going to be honest just like I was younger.
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw Sun Mar 30 2008, 18:52

Jung namsook wrote:Thanks for your committed feedback. I once again appreciate your insight and eye for picking out the sentences that I'got confused in writing. Those sentences are the ones that have come to give up completing. I think it's almost impossible to seek-and-hide with you because you do know the way I think and where to exactly hide. You must be born to be a teacher. You've got the memory nobody can immitate and responsibility as well as perfect preparation for the lecture. Moreover you have enough understaning and intelligence for each of your students. Another good thing is that you greatly learn how we can be motivated and encouraged. Most of your students at KNU have been captivated by your teaching skills.

My problem is to be so nervous in a timed writing; however, I think I'll be better if I practice more and harder in accordance with your class. I will always be getting positive in life.

Thanks again.

Namsook!

p.s
I am, in fact, being forced to get facial treatment. My mother says, "It's high time to do something for your own face." I hope my mother is not going to be honest just like I was younger.

Thanks for those very nice comments, Namsook. Don't put me on a pedestal, though - I have moments of weakness and occasional disorganization like any other teacher out there!

Also, with all due respect to your dear mother (to whom I am very grateful on account of her bringing you into this world and by extension into my classroom), please tell her I said she is completely and utterly wrong to make such a suggestion about your facial appearance. You're an attractive lady who looks younger than her real age, and fine just the way you are! I'm certain it's just a case of your dear old mom needing to get down to the optometrist to get her eyes checked out. She obviously needs new glasses...

Take care,

~ Jason
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Jueun, Jung Mon Mar 31 2008, 09:29

Hi Namsook,

You always see the bright side of things. I could see your positive attitude while reading your essay and response to Jason's feedback. Your essay is not long but has enough power to draw readers' attention. Maybe it stems from your variety of experiences and stable vocabulary ability. Reading your essay is really helpful and meaningful to me. You are already qualified in many ways. You will be a good teacher just like the professor!

take care~

-Jueun
Jueun, Jung
Jueun, Jung
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty Yeah.. I totally agree with you.

Post  Seyoung Yoon Mon Mar 31 2008, 20:23

The job which is related to human being is the most difficult job, I guess. In this sense, your adviser teacher was very good at sympathizing with students. It was very helpful for you that you've got a repose. Actually, you know, there is a friend who shares my feelings. I think the teacher was that types of person for you. Do I go too far? I envy you who has such a great mentor!
Seyoung Yoon
Seyoung Yoon
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down