English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me

+4
Young
Younghee choi
Jueun, Jung
Jongwoo
8 posters

Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty [OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me

Post  Jongwoo Sun Mar 30 2008, 19:11

Throughout our lives, each one of us makes close acquaintance with scores of teachers, yet not all of them inspire their students to become better human beings. I also have met a number of teachers, and all of them have more or less contributed to shaping of my intelligence and personality. There were some good ones and some bad ones. Among the good teachers, there is one I can say truly inspired me. The teacher, Mr. Kwon, was a middle-aged science teacher in charge of my class when I was a 6th-grade elementary school student. His influence was not the kind that Miss Sullivan had on young Helen Keller, but his humor and generosity along with innovative world view had trememdous impact on my adolescent development.

The most outstanding quality Mr. Kwon possessed was empathy. He seemed to have deep understanding of his students' wants and needs -- both physical and mental. He could easily establish rapport and intimate relationship with his students. He was such a teacher that you can discuss anything with. He was a friend to all of us. He knew how to manage a class, not with force, but with understanding and care. I was 12 years old, at the peack of my puberty instability, and it was a great solace and comfort just to have an adult with whom I can speak almost about everything, not having to worry about getting any criticism or reprimand. Without him, I must have been more confused and frustrated as any unattended adolescent would be.

Another trait that makes him an outstanding teacher is his good sense of humor. Actually, he was not a funny man to any extent. That is, he never intended to make us laugh. He seemed to speak and act naturally, yet his words and actions were so pleasant and refreshing that we could not stop smiling. His sense of humor were far from being artificial. Rather, it was the manifestation of his innovative mind and friendliness, and made him a very attractive person. Everyone in the class wanted to get his special attention, and just like anyone else I wanted to be his favored student. As a result, I became a more active and hardworking student.

Finally, he was a teacher who never stopped learning new things. He had extensive knowledge virtually about everything, and everyday he came back to us with some new interesting topics. Each day, we listened to his amazing stories on lastest discoveries and scientific breakthroughs with our mouths open. At the end of his stories, he always recommended us a list of books from which we could obtain more information. Thrilled at the new findings, I returned home and delved into the books on his list. Ever since that time, reacing has become my favorite pastime activity.

With all these influence I had from Mr. Kwon, I could have become a better person. He comforted me the way my parents would never have done. He was such a good-natured person whose mere presence motivated me to work harder. Furthermore, his incessant intellectual pursuit led me to experience what pleasure reading can bring. Obviously, his inspiration is not the kind that moved my heart, but he was the kind of teacher who does not tell his students what he expected of them, but awakens their own expectations.
Jongwoo
Jongwoo
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty Re: [OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me

Post  Jueun, Jung Tue Apr 01 2008, 19:57

wow, I'm impressed with your essay! Your essay has many things that I want to learn - well organized and rich in useful expressions. I wonder how you learn those vocabularies. Can you recommend me good ways to improve my voca ability? When asked to reply to others' essay, it was a bit overwhelming first. However, I now know how useful it is for my sake. I can't wait reading your next one!

One more, it seems like great teachers have a lot of things in common from their warm-hearted mind full of love and affection upon students to extensive knowledge.

-Jueun
Jueun, Jung
Jueun, Jung
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  Younghee choi Tue Apr 01 2008, 20:48

Your writing is so impressive!
As Jueun mentioned, I was amazed at your proper and various word choices.
I remember vividly that you presented how to study effectively when you won the highest score in one of the classes that I took last semester.
You said you tried to put more effort than others since you think you are not good at memorization. I felt that you were really honest, humble and hardworking.
Now I sense that your attitude came from the great teacher who inspired you.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Tue Apr 01 2008, 21:50

Your writing is good like your pronunciation!!
Your teacher, Mr. Kwun, has features that only good teachers have.
He is a teacher like a friend, has a sense of humor, and try to be better.
He was a good counsellor to you. How about being a good counsellor like him when you become a teacher?
Young
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Inkab Thu Apr 03 2008, 04:27

May I be proud that Mr. Kwon and I are sharing the same last name? Through reading your essay, fortunatly, I'm able to draw the clear image of the teacher who i want to be in the future. As you mentioned I wouldn't be able to be a teacher like Sullivan or other distinguished ones unless I can encounter special circumstances. However, the fact that qualites your teacher had sustantially changed and comforted your life really challenges me to be a teacher like yours. Thank you!
Inkab
Inkab
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ko, Min-Jung Thu Apr 03 2008, 08:15

While I was reading your essay, I was thinkng how great it would have been if I had such a teacher in my elementary school. In Korea, we had only on teacher in charge of the class, so we had to be under the influence of the teacher without choice. Therfore, having happy school days for a year depended soly on your teacher. You are a lucky guy, and I hope that I could be remembered as a good teacher by only a student in my class in the future.

Also, I really like your writing style. I'm not in a position of judging ohers, but your essay is read very easily and inspires me to write after you. I'll be expecting your work next time.
Ko, Min-Jung
Ko, Min-Jung
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty Affective fators are also important.

Post  HyejinJeon Thu Apr 03 2008, 09:46

I think that in teaching it is very important sharing emotion or feeling with student.
If I become a teacher, one of my must-dos is talking problems with students and understanding them. Your teacher is a good example for me!
From our good teachers, we can be a good teacher like them Smile
HyejinJeon
HyejinJeon
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty Jongwoo's feedback

Post  Jason Renshaw Wed Apr 09 2008, 21:03

Hi Jongwoo,

Thanks for a very lovely piece of writing. Your composition skills are very impressive, and there is an elegance in your written expression that makes all your submissions pleasant and inspiring to read.

Mr. Kwon does indeed sound like a real inspiration, and reinforces to me that very often the best teachers in our lives happen to be extremely good people. Teaching skill is of course very important, but at the core of all good teachers there needs to be a good and empathetic person.

I thought almost all aspects of your composition were excellent. If anything, some sort of tangible example to demonstrate your point in the second body paragraph would have been a more effective way to demonstrate this particular set of qualities Mr. Kwon had.

Below you'll find some suggestions for language development:

Jongwoo wrote:Throughout our lives, each one of us makes close acquaintance with scores of teachers, yet not all of them inspire their students to become better human beings. I also have met a number of teachers, and all of them have more or less contributed to shaping of my intelligence and personality. There were some good ones and some bad ones. Among the good teachers, there is one I can say truly inspired me. The teacher, Mr. Kwon, was a middle-aged science teacher in charge of my class when I was a 6th-grade elementary school student. His influence was not the kind that Miss Sullivan had on young Helen Keller, but his humor and generosity along with innovative world view had trememdous impact on my adolescent development.

The most outstanding quality Mr. Kwon possessed was empathy. He seemed to have deep understanding of his students' wants and needs -- both physical and mental. Question He could easily establish rapport and intimate relationship with his students. He was such a teacher that you can discuss anything with. He was a friend to all of us. He knew how to manage a class, not with force, but with understanding and care. I was 12 years old, at the peack of my puberty instability, and it was a great solace and comfort just to have an adult with whom I can speak almost about everything, not having to worry about getting any criticism or reprimand. Without him, I must have been more confused and frustrated as any unattended adolescent would be.

Question Another trait that makes him an outstanding teacher is his good sense of humor. Actually, he was not a funny man to any extent. That is, he never intended to make us laugh. He seemed to speak and act naturally, yet his words and actions were so pleasant and refreshing that we could not stop smiling. His sense of humor were far from being artificial. Rather, it was the manifestation of his innovative mind and friendliness, and made him a very attractive person. Everyone in the class wanted to get his special attention, and just like anyone else I wanted to be his favored student. As a result, I became a more active and hardworking student.

Finally, he was a teacher who never stopped learning new things. He had extensive knowledge virtually about everything, and everyday he came back to us with some new interesting topics. Question Each day, we listened to his amazing stories on lastest discoveries and scientific breakthroughs with our mouths open. At the end of his stories, he always recommended us a list of books from which we could obtain more information. Thrilled at the new findings, I returned home and delved into the books on his list. Ever since that time, reacing has become my favorite pastime activity.

With all these influence I had from Mr. Kwon, I could have become a better person. He comforted me the way my parents would never have done. He was such a good-natured person whose mere presence motivated me to work harder. Furthermore, his incessant intellectual pursuit led me to experience what pleasure reading can bring. Obviously, his inspiration is not the kind that moved my heart, but he was the kind of teacher who does not tell his students what he expected of them, but awakens their own expectations.

Cool He could easily establish a rapport and intimate relationship with each of his students

Cool Another trait that made him an outstanding teacher was his good sense of humor. [NOTE: Look for unity in tense when describing a person from the past. You would need some mention of an ongoing relationship with the man up until now to be able to mention his characteristics using present tense]

Cool Each day, we listened open-mouthed to his amazing stories on the lastest discoveries and scientific breakthroughs.

Great essay and a worthy expression of both your great thoughts and writing skill. Keep up the excellent work!

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down