English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me

+3
Inkab
Seyoung Yoon
Eunsil
7 posters

Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty [OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me

Post  Eunsil Mon Mar 31 2008, 02:13

Until now, I have been taught by different teachers. I am not sure how many teachers I had. May be it could be about 100 teachers by guess.

When I was a freshman in high school in 2001, I met a teacher who was remembered as a good teacher until now. He was the strictest teacher that I have ever had. He scared me every time. He was one of the oldest teachers in my school but he was energetic, diligent and had passion. Every hour he gave us a bunch of paper to remember and tested us. At that time, I hated to remember and take tests every time. But I couldn't ignore it because my fear from punishment was huge. One day after an event I changed my mind started to like him and a history subjects. An event happened in summer that I had a big pain in my stomach. I was so sick that I really wanted to go to the school infirmary. But I couldn't say any word. I thought he would not let me go. So I endured the pain stoically. Right after starting the class the teacher gave me the attention. He called my name and asked me how I felt and let me go to the school infirmary. It was my first time that he called my name and I was surprised how he could acknowledge my pain. Maybe, if he had been a teacher who had been always kind, I didn't get impressed. But he was the strictest teacher that I have ever had and he scared me to death. Not long after, I realized that he acted like a strict teacher because he wanted to make us study. After knowing his real passion I started to admire him.

Even though he gave me lots of stress during my high school period, I think his class was the best that I ever took in public school because I learned so much. Not onlyI learned about Korean and world historical discoveries and historic events, but also about life and Korea's cultural background that I have to know as a Korean. The last time I saw seven years passed after the last time I saw him, but his image is strong in my mind. I hope that I can also inspire other people in a positive way and get remember as a good person.

Last edited by Jason Renshaw on Mon Mar 31 2008, 20:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Font size)
Eunsil
Eunsil
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty The strictest and fearful teacher is the most memorable one.

Post  Seyoung Yoon Mon Mar 31 2008, 20:32

Me too. I am able to remember exactly the teacher who was the most fearful throughouth my school life. I hated him very much, but eventually I have remembered him for years. The more the influence I've got from an dreadful teacher, the better I can remember him. It is very ridiculous. The homeroom teacher when I was 5th grade in elementary school was the worst teacher, however, I can remember her the best. It is very similar case to you, right? I think all of this is because of stronger affection between the teacher and me through the tough relationship!
Seyoung Yoon
Seyoung Yoon
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty Re: [OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me

Post  Inkab Mon Mar 31 2008, 21:12

Yes, I believe most teachers used to have passion for their students and jobs. It's hard for everybody to keep their initional resolution on whatever they go through. Public shcool environment in our country is sometimes too desperate, so they only seem to force students to obtain good scores and not care about their personal affairs at all. That's why I don't have any memorable teacher throughout middle and high school. I guess your teacher could be one of them. Your recognition of his love underlying in his scary face might be the mercy from the heaven for you.

Anyway, I'm so glad to see you in this forum and write some comment on your essay.
Why don't you visit this forum frequently and share our feelings and ideas.

take care~
Inkab
Inkab
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Jueun, Jung Tue Apr 01 2008, 17:55

Though we have had a lot of different teachers in our lives, their goal might be the same - to lead all students to the right place where they want. However, they all have different kinds of skills to control their classes and sometimes it is the key for a successful teacher, not his own knowledge of his subject. Actually, many students can easily focus more on strict teacher's class without distraction. I agree that teacher should have charisma somehow in a positive way.

-Jueun
Jueun, Jung
Jueun, Jung
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  Younghee choi Tue Apr 01 2008, 21:16

I sometimes wonder if I should be strict in class to have students study more.
Some students say that they hate a very strict teacher in class, but after a course is completed, they acknowledge that they learn the most from the strict teacher than a naive or gentle teacher who pampers students' need.
It may be important to keep its balance between them.

Last edited by Younghee choi on Fri Apr 04 2008, 21:19; edited 1 time in total
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty Eun-sil's feedback

Post  Jason Renshaw Fri Apr 04 2008, 07:19

Hi Eun-sil,

Thanks for composing this response to the topic. It was very interesting to read about the teacher who inspired you. I thought it was interesting to see you describe a teacher who was quite intimidating, but nonetheless struck some sort of chord in you. I particularly enjoyed the example of your teacher's 'instinct': really good teachers know when something is physically or emotionally wrong with their students without having to have it made obvious to them.

Your writing would have been better if you had applied some more organization to it and decided on some sort of focus for 2-3 body paragraphs. At the moment, I can't really see how you have introduced the topic, explored it in sections, then concluded it.

Below are some suggestions for language development:

Eunsil wrote:
Until now, I have been taught by different teachers. I am not sure how many teachers I had. May be it could be about 100 teachers by guess.

When I was a freshman in high school in 2001, I met a teacher who was remembered as a good teacher until now. He was the strictest teacher that I have ever had. He scared me every time. He was one of the oldest teachers in my school but he was energetic, diligent and had passion. Every hour he gave us a bunch of paper to remember and tested us. Question At that time, I hated to remember and take tests every time. But I couldn't ignore it because my fear from punishment was huge. One day after an event I changed my mind started to like him and a history subjects. An event happened in summer that I had a big pain in my stomach. I was so sick that I really wanted to go to the school infirmary. But I couldn't say any word. I thought he would not let me go. So I endured the pain stoically. Right after starting the class the teacher gave me the attention. He called my name and asked me how I felt and let me go to the school infirmary. Question It was my first time that he called my name and I was surprised how he could acknowledge my pain. Maybe, if he had been a teacher who had been always kind, I didn't get impressed. But he was the strictest teacher that I have ever had and he scared me to death. Not long after, I realized that he acted like a strict teacher because he wanted to make us study. After knowing his real passion I started to admire him.

Even though he gave me lots of stress during my high school period, I think his class was the best that I ever took in public school because I learned so much. Question Not onlyI learned about Korean and world historical discoveries and historic events, but also about life and Korea's cultural background that I have to know as a Korean. The last time I saw seven years passed after the last time I saw him, but his image is strong in my mind. I hope that I can also inspire other people in a positive way and get remember as a good person.

Cool At that time, I hated memorizing and taking tests all the time.

Cool It was the first time that he had called my name and I was surprised at how well he could recognize that I was in pain.

Cool Not only did I learn about Korean and world historical discoveries and historic events, but also about life and Korea's cultural background that I ought to know as a citizen of this country.

Good effort on this task and it was very enjoyable to get an insight into your experience and thinking.

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty Re:[OP2] A Teacher Who Inspired Me

Post  Hwan Ki, Kim Fri Apr 04 2008, 18:13

Hello, Eunsil!

Your essay is quite similar with mine. The hook is similar , but has different type of teacher. I liked the teacher who was very nice and affectionate because I went through lots of strict teachers. It is odd that I still remember the tools (hockey stick, bats, wood stick) which scary teachers used for punishment. However, your techer used his scariness to pushing the students for a short period of time unlike the scary teachers from mine, and I think it is very smart move to control the class. It was nice reading your essay.

Best wishes,

Hwan Ki, Kim
Hwan Ki, Kim
Hwan Ki, Kim
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down